PDA

View Full Version : When they give you several gauges for a project...

Momma_Jo
11-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Say, you have a project with several stitch patterns and, possibly, several needle sizes. The pattern gives you gauges for several patterns and needle sizes (say, 13 stitches in stockinette on size 13, 18 stitches in cable/rib pattern on size 13, 11 stitches in cable/rib on size 15). Is it really imperative to test ALL of those gauges? Or is it ok to just pick the simplest pattern (i.e., in this case, stockinette) and to forgo knitting all the other swatches if the first try works out?

Jan in CA
11-18-2006, 05:13 PM
There are not hard and fast rules, but I would do a gauge swatch with the yarn and needles I wanted to use. I don't think it's necessary to swatch them all.

Momma_Jo
11-18-2006, 05:33 PM
There are not hard and fast rules, but I would do a gauge swatch with the yarn and needles I wanted to use. I don't think it's necessary to swatch them all.
Oh no, it's not a matter of choosing what needles you want, it's when you have a project that requires you to use several sizes of needles to complete it (say, you rib the edges on small needles, do body on a bigger needle, collar on medium-sized needles...).

Vendie
11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I've got a pattern that gives the gauge for both stockinette and in pattern. Knowing the way I knit, I would swatch for both stockinette and the pattern. But, say the body is primarily stockinette and it has a ribbed edging, I'd only swatch in stockinette with the needles it calls for using for the body.

....or I might not swatch at all, but I'm an impatient rebel. :teehee:

suzeeq
11-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I've seen these types of instructions in a Knitter's pattern where they suggest different types of yarn with different size needles. So they give gauge in all thedifferent sizes so you know what to aim for.

sue

Jan in CA
11-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Oh no, it's not a matter of choosing what needles you want, it's when you have a project that requires you to use several sizes of needles to complete it (say, you rib the edges on small needles, do body on a bigger needle, collar on medium-sized needles...).

OH! I see what you mean. Hmm... :thinking: