PDA

View Full Version : First Cable project??

CreativeCreature
11-19-2006, 12:42 AM
I want to make something w/ cables, I am fascinated with the look of them. But I don't know what to make. Do any of you have or know of a very simple pattern that has cables in it? Thanks!! :muah:

SabrinaJL
11-19-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm working on the Irish Hiking Scarf (http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm) right now and it's pretty easy.

newamy
11-19-2006, 01:00 AM
I second the Irish Hiking scarf, very easy. The pattern is easily memorized.
If you know how to knit in the round the Fetching fingerless gloves from Knitty.com have easy cables too.

CreativeCreature
11-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks.

I notice that fetching is very popular but I don't get it. How do your hands stay warm? My fingers always freeze in the winter so how do these help anything?
Are regular gloves hard to knit? I can knit in the round, I love to do it. Or mittens maybe?

Stiney
11-19-2006, 01:40 AM
Fingerless gloves are mostly for indoor use. I know my hands are always cold--especially on the computer. Fingerless gloves are good because they still let you type and it's easier to find things in pockets and bags and things.

Smokers like fingerless gloves, too, because they keep their hands warm when they go outside to smoke, but they can still light their cigarettes.

Yarnlady
11-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Smokers like fingerless gloves, too, because they keep their hands warm when they go outside to smoke, but they can still light their cigarettes.
I made them for my DIL who will have a new baby around Christmas time. Figured she'd like her fingers free when fiddling with the carseat and such. I like to have my fingers free to grip the steering wheel, use keys, phone (at stop lights only :rofl: ) and stuff like that.

Pink Dandelion
11-19-2006, 01:36 PM
For a smaller project you could try the coronet (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTcoronet.html) at knitty.com

I made fingerless gloves for my sister for the same reason - she has little ones and it's hard to wipe noses and fish inedible things out of little mouths (etc.) with full gloves on :teehee: . I made a pair for myself too, they're obviously not as warm as full gloves, but when gloves aren't practical they're better than nothing.

They're also good for knitting in when you need something to keep your hands warm. ;)

lauraknits
11-19-2006, 01:47 PM
I had to look them up. Didn't know what they were! They look cool. I think if they were made out of nice warm wool they'd help keep my wrists warm in the snow, when I usually get snow in between my gloves and jacket. Keep pulling the glove up, the jacket down... hmm. If they don't get too wet, they might be just the thing!

mari_13
11-19-2006, 02:07 PM
I am working on cables for the first time and I am currently doing the Irish Hiking Scarf. I'm amazed at #1 - how easy it is (never seen anyone do it) and #2 - that they actually look like real cables. Hoo-ray!

Mari

XbelovedXoneX
11-19-2006, 04:32 PM
I just finished the irish hiking scarf (today!) and it was my first cables project too. I loved it!

CreativeCreature
11-19-2006, 06:11 PM
So I've started the Irish Hiking Scarf and I am so surprised how easy it is. I've made my first cable 'switch' (row 8) and I'm now on row 13 and will be soon making another cable switch. It truly is an easy pattern, thanks for suggesting it SabrinaJL! :muah:

Heh, I am becoming the Queen of Multiple Projects!! :teehee: I've started and been working on 2 elongated stitch scarves, I've started a hat for my 7 yo daughter, I've started the Irish Hiking Scarft and I've started my very first sock. I'll have to lay them all out and take a pic, maybe that'll be enough to convince me to SLOW DOWN!! :teehee: I just love knitting and learning new techniques but I get bored so fast. So I'll work on something for a while and then start something new, work on that for a while, put it down and go back to the other, lather, rinse, repeat....
Anyone else do this?
I've also printed up the pattern for the coronet from knitty.com and plan to try that one out before too long. I've reached new heights with my knitting/yarn obsession....I actually dreamed about it last night!!! :roflhard:

Someone help me!!! :teehee:

nadja la claire
11-19-2006, 06:33 PM
So I've started the Irish Hiking Scarf and I am so surprised how easy it is. I've made my first cable 'switch' (row 8) and I'm now on row 13 and will be soon making another cable switch. It truly is an easy pattern, thanks for suggesting it SabrinaJL! :muah:

Heh, I am becoming the Queen of Multiple Projects!! :teehee: I've started and been working on 2 elongated stitch scarves, I've started a hat for my 7 yo daughter, I've started the Irish Hiking Scarft and I've started my very first sock. I'll have to lay them all out and take a pic, maybe that'll be enough to convince me to SLOW DOWN!! :teehee: I just love knitting and learning new techniques but I get bored so fast. So I'll work on something for a while and then start something new, work on that for a while, put it down and go back to the other, lather, rinse, repeat....
Anyone else do this?
I've also printed up the pattern for the coronet from knitty.com and plan to try that one out before too long. I've reached new heights with my knitting/yarn obsession....I actually dreamed about it last night!!! :roflhard:

Someone help me!!! :teehee:

I love cabling. When you're done with the Irish Hiking Scarf get Scarf Style there are some really nice cabled pieces in there. I'm doing the Interlocking Balloons scarf for a friend.

Why do you need help :?? Is there a problem with dreaming of knitting :shrug: :?? I do it all the time. Theres no such thing as too much knitting or yarn. You don't need help you need another project. :roflhard:

Nadja xxx

NakedPancakes
11-19-2006, 06:50 PM
I tried cabling today! I found a wonderful hat pattern and tried cabling out while trying to figure out the gague of my yarn.
I did one cable row, where it twisted. Got all excited. Frogged the gague and went to get started on the hat.
Only to not understand the pattern. =[

I would try the scarf since its so easy, but I've really been wanting a hat.
I wish I had someone else to knit for me. Knitting for other people or just knitting to knit is better than knitting for yourself.
Will someone make me a pretty cabled hat? :pout:

Quiltlady
11-20-2006, 04:11 AM
I also LOVE the look of cables. I just finished a hat from the book "One Skein Wonders" and it came out beautiful. :cheering:

I SAW how to make cables on the Knitty Gritty tv show. I was so surprised at how EASY it was. But by trying to read how to do it they seemed more challenging. So if you can SEE how they are done you'll see how easy they are to do. :happydance: