PDA

View Full Version : Where and how do you organize your projects and stash?

zkimom
11-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone,

Looking for some organizing ideas here -- I am the clutter queen and not so proud of it. Today I am organizing a dresser and getting rid of some clothes in order to try and fit all the yarn and unfinished projects in it and get them off the bedroom floor.

How do all of you keep from living in knitting chaos?

TIA,
Susan

brendajos
11-19-2006, 12:11 PM
lol i really have no help to offer since my yarn ends up in a pile in the bags that it came home in, waiting to be put in the storage containers i bought to try to contain it. (look at that run on sentence!) i am out of room in the containers, out of room FOR the containers, and still going to LYS today because i got a coupon in the mail! :teehee:

but one thing i had not considered was getting rid of my clothes to make room! :teehee: :rofl: :teehee: :rofl: :teehee: :rofl:

Mulderknitter
11-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I like to knit in the living room and my hubby hates clutter so I bought some really pretty boxes that fit our decor to keep my "working with" yarn in so I can have it in the living room. The other stuff is in our upstairs closet in a bunch of those big clear plastic stacking drawer type containers (run on sentence kinda day!) But we don't have kids so our 2nd bedroom is kinda my crafty sewing knitting stashing room. And the cats bedroom. :rofl:

Jan in CA
11-19-2006, 01:00 PM
I started out with one of those hanging net things from Ikea that is meant for kids stuffed animals. It's got about 6 different sections. I'd link, but Ikea seems to be having problems now. Anyway, it worked fine till we got a kitten. Now I've taken it down and the yarn is mostly stored on a high shelf now. At least it's pretty. :teehee:

Doublereeder2
11-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Organize? What's that? :teehee:

zkimom
11-19-2006, 01:38 PM
So I'm seeing that "where to put more yarn" is a somewhat universal theme here.

And I am getting rid of clothes to find more space for yarn :oops:

A girl's gotta have priorities :teehee:

Best,
Susan

lauraknits
11-19-2006, 01:42 PM
I have my yarn and current projects in a big basket by the living room couch so I can knit there. The cat is so interested in destroying the wicker basket he hasn't even noticed there's yarn inside. My DPN's, scissors, stitch markers, crochet hooks etc are in a clear plastic school supply organizer for kids. It has sections which works nicely. My long needles are in a clear plastic type container like a pasta container sticking out of the back of my big basket. Some of my circs are stuffed in there but I only have a couple. The rest are KP Options in their beautiful case! I just organized this a week ago. So far, it is working well and I can find everything when I need it. I just had to decide to put my nonworking yarn away somewhere and keep all my "tools" close by.

figaro
11-19-2006, 01:49 PM
I have my little stash in a big green bin under the desk and my working yarn/projects are in my knitting bag in the livingroom. All my needles, scissors, etc. are in a really big pencil case I bought from Staples.

mari_13
11-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I keep my WIP in a wicker basket in the living room along with my mini knitting kit. Then I keep my yarn stash in plastic bins under my bed and my needles in this metal vase thing I got at Walmart in my bookcase. I don't have that much of a yarn collection yet though. We'll see once I run out of room under the bed!

Mari

Liliyarn
11-19-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm organizing now as a matter of fact.
Yarn is kept in my extra bedroom.
I use the plastic drawer thingies bought at Wal-Mart. They stack pretty good.
WIPS are kept in totes and boogas.
Patterns are on the bookshelf.
Needles are in a smaller version of the plastic drawer thingie (meant to hold scapbook paper I think).
Everything is being labled and I'm loving it.

Momma_Jo
11-19-2006, 07:36 PM
I bought a set of lined baskets on sale at Michaels a few months ago. I keep yarn in the biggest one of the 3, project(s) in the medium-sized one, and needles in the smallest one. They all match each other and my furniture, so it's pretty nice.

lissalue
11-19-2006, 07:45 PM
all of my stuff is in my knitting bag from michael's, maybe for christmas i will get some storage containers, that is one of the things i have asked for, so we'll see!!!

pauly81
11-19-2006, 07:46 PM
I probably don't as much yarn as a lot of you since I am a new knitter. I find deep baskets on sale, and put them a shelf. I buy yarn on sale even before I know what I am going to make. I love shopping for yarn.

CarmenIbanez
11-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I couldn't get in and out of my plastic storage bins easily enough. So I switched to clear plastic drawers. They sit in the bottom of my closet and that is where I keep my new and upcoming projects. My "maybe someday" yarn is kept in the garage in the plastic containers. My OTN projects are in my KIPer bag from KP.

stagebear
11-19-2006, 08:07 PM
i have two larger knitting bags for storing yarn and supplies - one is in a storage end table, and the other is inbetween the couch and the same end table. i made myself a kniiting needle roll, so that's where all of my needles are. right now i have 3 WIP - one is in a small knitting bag, but the other two are just hanging out where ever i leave them (i know, bad). i have a binder for all of my "to-do" petterns. the rest i save as pdf's on my comp so i can print them when i feel.

janelanespaintbrush
11-19-2006, 10:07 PM
I have two ginormous 24-gallon rubbermaid bins stacked in my closet. Before the yarn goes in there, I put it in large ziplock bags and (don't laugh!) sit (or kneel) on them to get the air out before I seal them all the way. This sqooshes everything down a lot, like those space bags in the commercial, except way cheaper. It looks like vacuum sealed astronaut yarn or something -- it's really odd. I still need to get another bin soon, but at least the yarn doesn't take up quite as much space as it would unsquooshed.

ecb
11-19-2006, 11:33 PM
jdfs'

ecb
11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
ok, First off, lets Practice
"OMG thats NUTZ"

no nonono Louder, and with FEELING

better, now I can begin
I have a Bin under my desk, in this Bin I have used old Blanket Bags 9the ones with the zippers) to seperate the yarns into the types
Acrylic in one bag, Lighter weight on one side, Fluffy Bulky on the other
Varigated Wool Blends for my Larger Goddesses, in a Shopping bag
High end Yarns in Zip lock bags large enough to hold all like balls, and all these bags in a Different Blanket bag
I also have a BUNCH of knitting project bags
one is a Riggers bag, rectangular with MANY MANY different sized pockets
also a BUNCH of pseudo Canvas bags, of differeing sizes
2 laundry baskets, and one Real Canvas Bag i had specially made from a Canvas Briefcase pattern, cost me a pretty penny, but I LOVE it
I keep as many patterns as possible in a Notebook and the Zip Lock Pencil cases to hold my Circ Needles
I have a vase for my Lose Knitting needles, and a Old Candle Jar to hold my DPN

Chaos or Organizatoin, you make the call
its the best I can do

at least 1 person here MUST understand

ecb

pauly81
11-19-2006, 11:49 PM
well I do have the food sealer I wonder if I should it
I don't want to ruin the yarn

snowbear
11-20-2006, 12:34 AM
I bought one of those yarn organizer on wheels from Jo-anns. It has a telescoping handle, and it has lots of space. I just put my "tools" in it. The sides has zippered needle compartments, and inside is a big square zippered compartement. I love it because all my "tools" are in one place.

I put my yarn in those big, I mean big ziplog bags. They are awesome.
I use to to seperate different types of yarn and smaller ziplock bags in it to seperate projects.

I use a denimn messenger type bag I bought when back to school was on at Wally world. In it I keep my WIP, and my zipper bag of stuff I have to have w/ me when out of my house. It goes with me everywhere.

My friends think I'm ill if I show up w/ out it. I change bags after I wear them out literally. I have use back packs in the past for wip to carry with.

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 01:27 AM
I have what we jokingly call my "yarn cellar" because I use wood storage units designed to hold wine to store my yarn in where I can see it and get to it easily.

http://www.beartoes.com/images/yarn-cellar-06-small.jpg

Mama Bear

HamburgKnitter
11-21-2006, 03:13 AM
I don't have enough stash yet for anything to get disorganized. Sniff. :verysad:

For now I'm keeping the few needles, etc. that I've bought in an IKEA basket.

HOWEVER, I know how I'm going to organize my future stash. (rubs hands together greedily). We've bought two IKEA shelves to attach to the wall over the computer table in the dining room. I'm going to line one with baskets and FILL THEM UP with lots of goodies. :teehee:

And if I get really out of hand somebody (hope hope hope) we have a small granny apartment next door that is only used to store stuff. So I have a future stash room! Hell, my stash can have it's own apartment....

I love the wine racks turned into yarn holders!!!!

mulene
11-21-2006, 07:51 AM
I like Yarn Harlot's idea - shove the yarn down the sleeves of sweaters that hang in the wardrobe :teehee:

Sara
11-21-2006, 09:00 AM
I keep my yarn, patterns, books, and needles in an antique blanket chest. The candle box is a great place to keep needles. I think I have shown great restraint in my yarn purchases. :teehee:

mwedzi
11-21-2006, 09:18 AM
I've managed to put most of my yarn on this set of shelves, which used to be used for plants. poor displaced plants. some recent stuff is in the box, but don't be deceived, that box also has leftover bits and books and scissors and misc. that are really filling it up. only the top layer is yarn.

dustinac
11-21-2006, 09:45 AM
I really just organized my yarn a few weekends ago lol.. I had to find photos and they were buried undor boxes and bags of yarn... inside my closet I have shelves so I organized by brand on each shelf and then I have a 3 drawer pull out thing I have the rest in... my projects that are on hold well lol.. they are in ziploc bags and stacked in a basket :oops: I have a lot of these :rofl:

zkimom
11-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Mama Bear --

I think you win the prize for the most organized! I love the idea of using a wine rack for the yarn. Your set up looks like a knitting store! When can I come shopping?

:notworthy:

Best,
Susan

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 11:20 AM
zkimom,

It's one of the few areas I am organized in :lol I am totally right brained, random romantic... so organization does not come easily!

The nearest LYS is over 2.5 hours away... so in a sense this is the store for my daughters and I! We use the online stores as our distributors ;)

Mama Bear