PDA

View Full Version : Semi ribbed hat question

kellyjo32
11-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey ladies, I'm (finally) working on a hat for my FIL for Christmas, in absolutely wonderful Malabrigo....yummy!! I love this yarn...oh I digress... back to the hat. I'm only wanting to do the fold over part (double covering on the ears) in 2x2 ribbing. But my question is...do I stop the ribbing when the flip occurs, or do I rib for the same length on the other side of the flip? Does that make sense? I don't really have an exact pattern because I couldnt' find one that I liked, so I'm wondering, how long should the flip up part be? 2 inches or less?

Thanks!!

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Here's a handy recipe (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm) to make a hat just like you want -- it's plain on top, and has 2x2 ribbing just for the cuff area (fold is optional). These are the directions I used to make my very first project, so it's simple enough for even a super newbie to follow, while being versatile enough to allow you to figure out how to make any size hat using any gauge of yarn. (It has guidelines for cuff and total length measurements, BTW.) HTH

suzeeq
11-20-2006, 02:10 AM
You can do either. I think I'd just do the ribbing on the fold up and not carry it up because you never know.... he might not fold it up at the same spot and there'd be part ribbing and part st st showing above it.

sue