PDA

View Full Version : More kool aid yarn

feministmama
11-19-2006, 11:16 PM
So I pulled out some more plain sweater, washed it and dyed it with kool aid. I started making socks with it from a past dye job. J Crew makes great yarn. I'm loving it!

AnreeAce
11-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Looking good! :cheering:

psammeadred
11-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Recycled yarn is so much fun! Yours looks great - what flavors of KoolAid are you using?

Also, a dumb question - does KoolAid dyed yarn smell like fruit?

janelanespaintbrush
11-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Nice job, Feministmama! :cheering: :yay: How long did it take you to frog the sweater? It seems like it would be such a chore... and not the fun kind, like KA dying.

Speaking of which, your dye job looks so neat and even, Feministmama. Did you use a swift to make your hank? When I tried to dye sock yarn with KA, I didn't have a swift so I wound the yarn around a cushion and it came out really uneven -- one sock ended up with fat stripes and the other had skinny stripes. I have a swift now so hopefully it'll come out more like your's next time.

Anyway, to Psammeadred... KA yarn does smell fruity. My kitchen (esp. the microwave) smelled fruity for days after the two times I tried it.

CindyH
11-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Cool! How neat to recycle a sweater and turn it into socks! I wanted to do the whole recycled yarn thing, but can't seem to find a sweater with good seams to unravel.

Kool Aid-dyed yarn does smell fruity when it comes out of the dye bath and a little after, but I don't think it does in the long run. Even if it did, I like the smell!

CarmenIbanez
11-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Recycled yarn is so much fun! Yours looks great - what flavors of KoolAid are you using?

Also, a dumb question - does KoolAid dyed yarn smell like fruit?

OOOOOH! Wouldn't that be so COOOOL???

nonny2t
11-20-2006, 12:50 PM
"Sweet" job! :rofl: They really look great and you can't go wrong with recycled yarn when it is either free or cheap!

feministmama
11-24-2006, 05:40 PM
How long did it take you to frog the sweater? It seems like it would be such a chore....

About as long as a couple of episodes of my favorite TV shows. (maybe two hours) THen washing and dyeing about 45 minutes then leave it to dry overnight and voila!! Yeah the kitchen smells like kool aid but I just open the back door and it goes away. I wash it out and let it soak for a while before I hang it so the yarn doesn't smell fruity for too long. I make my hanks around my kitchen table which is exactly 3 feet wide. It's a very handy tool. I don't have a swift or ball winder. I use good ole fashion elbow grease. And with the colors Ijust dunk the yarn in and hope for something nice. There's noscience, no logic. Just fun!

jodstr2
11-24-2006, 06:08 PM
:inlove: very nice, Lori, you got this Kool-Aid dyeing down! :cheering:

edit - forgot the 'e' in dyeing

lissalue
11-24-2006, 06:22 PM
are there directions on doing this somewhere? i would really love to try it.

Mama Bear
11-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Great job! JCrew is a great yarn to recycle :) Thanks so much for sharing this!

I made some hiking socks from an Eddie Bauer sweater once (wool and angora) and the turned out great!

I actually like taking sweaters apart to recycle. I keep a sweater handy for times I'm on the phone or visiting or in the car. I zip the seams out then. The more you take them apart, the better one gets at finding the end of the seams that "zips" open (like a bag of flour or dog food would). Once that is going, they come apart FAST.

Then I put the pieces near my ball winder and every now and then when I have a few moments, I wind a ball of yarn from the sweater.

It's so great to have a lot of luxury yarn that I can use with out a care because they cost so little :)

Mama Bear