11-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Long Island. :cheering:

where?

Long. Island.

it's part of New York State.

any of you from LI? I'm in Suffolk.

RachelJean
11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi, I'm not from Long Island, but I know where it is and I actually go there occasionally. :teehee: I'm in Westchester County.

CindyH
11-25-2006, 01:06 AM
:waving: I'm in Queens, which is part of Long Island, just not in the "Long Island Long Island" sense. I don't go to Suffolk county much, but might be in a year and a half if I make it into Stony Brook's PA program. Which part of Suffolk are you in?

16 years old and knitting AND crocheting? That's great! I wish I'd gotten started that early - when I was 16, there were probably no crafty websites yet.

roxtarchic
11-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Hey Cindy H.... where in queens are ya? Bayside here...
:muah:

CindyH
12-20-2006, 02:51 PM
:waving: Hi Roxtarchic! Sorry, I haven't been in this part of the forum in a while..

I'm from Bayside too! Well, it's really the border of Bayside (Bell Blvd and Union Tpke), but I have the 11364 zip code. :D But that is very cool - it's a small world. I'm currently living in Elmhurst, but will be moving back to my parents' house in Bayside at the end of March. I'm actually looking forward to it - besides saving $$, my apartment building is just way too noisy! Getting in and out of Manhattan will be more annoying, but at least I get to sleep on the LIRR! Which part of Bayside are you in?

Kirochka
12-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Not on Long Island anymore, but my family lived in Port Washington from 1976 to 2000, and I just have to say... Bayside is on the Port Washington line! :wink: :waving:

(Parents grew up in Queens - mother in Floral Park, father in Sunnyside and Flushing - and met at Queens College, too...)

CindyH
12-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Yes it is~ :teehee: I will know that Port Washington line too well in the new year.

That's awesome - you've got roots all over Queens!

of troy
12-27-2006, 01:33 PM
there is a LIC (long Island city) SnB that meets every Tuesday evening (6pm to 9pm or so) at Communitea, (a tea/cafe) on 47th Avenue and Vernon Blvd.

take #7 train to Vernon Jackson stop, walk about 4 block north on Vernon to Community.

Its not to far from G or R trains either.

the group has a Yahoo page (LICKnit2) too.

anyone from queens is welcome to join (some member come from rego park, others from middle villiage.)

dayna_bug
01-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Fellow Long Islander, and Suffolk County resident. I started knitting a little over a year ago. So far I have completed a beginner's purse project, a hooded baby blanket, Irish hiking scarf, a two color scarf and earwarmer set, a stocking hat for my hubby and a few toys for my cats and a froggy baby blanet. Currently working on a lacy afghan for another baby due in July, that gives me plenty of time . . .

Long Island. :cheering:

where?

Long. Island.

it's part of New York State.

any of you from LI? I'm in Suffolk.

allison_k
02-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, more honestly I attempt to knit, but I've been crocheting for about 15 years now. I just moved here a couple weeks ago, don't know anyone here that wasn't in the moving truck when we left Detroit, my husband and our little iguana, Princess Bob. I'm 26, unemployed until I can get my car from Michigan and drive around and find a job, and obsessed with thrift shopping. So far, I love it here in Long Island, it's a beautiful place, and people have told me this is the worst time of year to be here. Have fun,
Allison

Kirochka
02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Allison, just a tip... you're "on" Long Island, not "in" it... :teehee:

allison_k
02-04-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks suuuueee, I'm learning. Thus far, I've found there's no 'pop', just soda, and that I drive on an expressway, as there's no such thing as a freeway here. Amused my hubby's boss with midwest slang, but I'm really trying not to come across as a fool, so I really appreciate it.

knit4u
02-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm from Long Island, the Garden City area..Saw that I have several fellow Long Islanders/Queens/Suffolk knitters! :cheering:

I've been knitting, crocheting & sewing for over 30 years..
I decided to start a business..doing such.. just having so much fun with it! This site is just terrific. Love the fact we all speak the same language :teehee:

I'm a newcomer here..just trying to read through all the wonderful threads! Hope to talk to you soon.
Have a Happy Knitting Day!
Knitters Rock!

contom
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
:happydance:
fellow long islanders, i'm from the hamptons, just started knitting last year and have made few small baby sweaters that my new grandson wears, now working on a larger scale, one for myself! still have to look up different stitches, love this site!

knit4u
02-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi contom, nice to meet you.. :cheering: Wow! you are really knitting up a storm out there in the Hamptons..I enjoy knitting baby items too. Although I'm not a Grandma yet, I have had orders for baby sweater sets. It must be such an awesome feeling to knit for your the little ones. :heart:
What yarn do you typically use for the baby items? What are you using for your sweater? Do you subscribe to any knitting magazines? Is there a yarn store new you? Hoping to hear from you soon.
knit4u, from GC

contom
02-26-2007, 06:45 PM
:happydance: Hi knit4u, I am not good enough for orders on sweaters. I have only completed 4. I usually use the yarn suggested in the patterns I get. Nothing special, we do have a terrific knitting store in East Hampton, but it is so expensive as it only carries the best yarns. The yarn alone cost me $60. for one small sweater. It came out beautiful, but so do the lion brand yarn sweaters. The closest Michaels is almost an hour away. My sweater is from the lion brand website, I purchased the pattern and the yarn together. It's a basketweave pullover. I knit, I take out, I re-do, still very unsure of myself. But, determined!
I am a granny of 6 months, it is the most amazing feeling, undiscribable. And, to see Zachary wearing something I've made, well, that's wonderful! What type of sweaters do you make? Connie

knit4u
02-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi contom (Connie,
Thank you replying to my post. I love talking to fellow knitters. It sounds like you are so determined to learn all you can about knitting. Do you crochet as well? I know what you mean regarding the cost of yarns..Fortunately, because I have a home-based specialty sewing & knitting business I am able to purchase most of the yarns I use through a distributor at a wholesale price. (I love using Italian imports). I also use Lion Brand yarns..in particular Wool Ease, Pound of Love, Fun Fur, Incredable, Jiffy..Have you used Pound of Love? I have an terrific pattern for a child's sweater that takes just about 1 hank of that yarn. I love this pattern because it is made w a double strand of yarn through out the sweater & you start the sweater from the top. It has a seed stitch stripe worked into it. I have a website with some of the items I offer & that sweater is shown (www.veronica-sews.com is the site if you want to check it out). Have you ever ordered yarns online? Many knitters purchase their yarns from Knitpicks...
Does your little one live near you?
Hope you have a wonderful day.
Regards,
veronica (Ronnie)

San
03-09-2007, 09:53 AM
hi friends

I live in nassau county,LI.

I recently started knitting, i have made scarf, hat, and just started with sweater.

I just want to learn how to make gloves and socks.

Can somebody help me

-san

knit4u
03-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi san,
Nice to meet you..it is always great to meet fellow knitters from Long Island.. :cheering:
That's terrific about starting to knit sweaters! How long have you been knitting? Are you taking formal lessons? What brand of yarn do you use? I have made gloves & double pointed needles can be alittle awkward, but once you get the hang of it, you'll love it! I have not made socks..one of the items on my list of things to do. Let us know how your knitting is coming along..
Hope to hear from you soon.
knit4u

San
03-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi san,
Nice to meet you..it is always great to meet fellow knitters from Long Island.. :cheering:
That's terrific about starting to knit sweaters! How long have you been knitting? Are you taking formal lessons? What brand of yarn do you use? I have made gloves & double pointed needles can be alittle awkward, but once you get the hang of it, you'll love it! I have not made socks..one of the items on my list of things to do. Let us know how your knitting is coming along..
Hope to hear from you soon.
knit4u

Hi knit4u

its very nice to meet u too. I just started knitting 3 months back and i am working with people in community center to donate all these knit stuff to orphans and others.

So that way i started doing scarf, hat and now started doing sweater.I have also done a quilt and pot holder with pieces of cloth.

I have not gained experience in judging the yarn and the lady who teaches me she just give me the yarn and i will do, i appreciate if u just give me hints in selecing yarn and other details of yarn.

Tell me abt urself, its great that u have been knitting for 30 yrs!!!!!! wat are u doing now?? Hope we will knit socks together.

san

knit4u
05-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say "HI" & catch up with what everyone has been working on. Now that the summer is here, I have been working with cotton yarns..I use Plymouth Brand, Bella Colora & will be working with Fantasy Naturale. I just finished some children's sweater sets using Plymouth Brand Sockotta..This yarn is typically used as sock yarn, but I did see it made into baby/children's items, so I decided to take a crack at it. As you knit with the yarn, it creates it own design. They have various versions of Sockotta. They are so much fun to knit with:thumbsup:
Just received the new Nicky Epstein book "knitting never felt so good" & although I have not taken the time to look through the whole book yet , what I saw is absolutely terrific..I love this book:cheering:. They also sent me a free copy of the "On the go" poket size book on bags to knit..
Hope everyone has a Happy & Safe Memorial weekend.
Regards,
knit4u

of troy
05-28-2007, 05:43 PM
LI--
East (south) there is a group that meets monday's in the Babylon (or is it north babylon, or west islip ? one of them)--library
Mondays evenings (they met last week, but not today.. call the local libraries... eventually you'll find the right library!

Central This friday, JUNE 1st, some knitters are getting together at food court in Hicksville/Broadway mall (the one with IKEA) this group is informal, meets from 1 Pm to 3PM. check out Knitters Review BB for details.

Central, Monday June 3rd,(and every 1st and 3rd Monday) 7PM Nassau knitters will meet once again in Barnes & Nobles --Old Country road just west of Glen Cove road, (near Roosevelt Field shopping mall) more info also on Knitters Review BB
(this location might change.. but not this week)

West
Tuesday (every) from 6 Pm to 9pm, LIC Knit (Yahoo group LICKnit2) on Vernon Blvd (first stop (or last) of No7 train,(in queens)
+ 4 block walk,(north, on vernon) from subway
at Communitea. while nominally a LIC group, there are members from all over queens.

There is also a LI Knitting guild (meets once a month, somewhere on north shore/near Sunken Meadow/but i don't have any details)

(there is also a NYC knitting guild, but i don't recommend it.)

larudden
05-28-2007, 06:39 PM
I'll be on Long Island at the end of next month for a wedding. Any yarn shops that I can make my DH stop at? He adores me and loves to cater to my every whim.......:heart::rollingeyes:

Sanibelle
06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
I just saw this thread. I'm from Long Island too... I live in Melville and work in Babylon Village. It's nice to see other knitters from LI!

Sanibelle
06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I'll be on Long Island at the end of next month for a wedding. Any yarn shops that I can make my DH stop at? He adores me and loves to cater to my every whim.......:heart::rollingeyes:

There are tons of yarn stores on Long Island. Do you know where you are going to be? Long Island is very big so I want to be able suggest LYS that are close to where you will be.

larudden
06-04-2007, 09:54 AM
There are tons of yarn stores on Long Island. Do you know where you are going to be? Long Island is very big so I want to be able suggest LYS that are close to where you will be.

I'll be in Stony Brook at the Country House Restaurant but we might be staying in my DH's hometown of Bellport. We'll be taking the ferry on Sunday from Orient Point (is that the name?).

Are any of these stores open on Sunday do you think? I may have some time on Saturday to shop but I'm not sure when we're actually going to arrive on LI.

Thanks for your help.

PS: Growing up, whenever people would ask where I'm from, I'd say "Rhode Island" and they'd say "Oh, in New York?" Used to drive me CRAZY!:rollingeyes:

Sanibelle
06-07-2007, 11:34 PM
I'll be in Stony Brook at the Country House Restaurant but we might be staying in my DH's hometown of Bellport. We'll be taking the ferry on Sunday from Orient Point (is that the name?).

Are any of these stores open on Sunday do you think? I may have some time on Saturday to shop but I'm not sure when we're actually going to arrive on LI.

Thanks for your help.

PS: Growing up, whenever people would ask where I'm from, I'd say "Rhode Island" and they'd say "Oh, in New York?" Used to drive me CRAZY!:rollingeyes:

If you are going to be in Stony Brook you are not too far from Port Jefferson (we call it Prt Jeff!). Really nice store in Prt Jeff:

KNITTING COVE 631-473-2121

206 E Main St
Port Jefferson, NY 11777
47.9MI from Long Island

I would think they are open on Sunday but I would call to make sure.

Bellport is south shore Suffolk County. In Babylon Village is my favorite yarn store on LI - the Village Knitter - nicest owner ever and good selection of yarn. SHe is open on Sunday and from there you can go to RObert Moses State Park - which is a beautiful beach. You can find me there sitting in my beach chair every Saturday and Sunday with my knitting when the weather is nice.

There is also a yarn store called Rumplestiltskins in Sayville which is not too far from Bellport too.

If you are driving to Orient Point to take the ferry you will be on the North Fork of Long Island - it is a cool place. There is an old fishing village called Greenport right before you get to Orient Point. If you want to stop for lunch or dinner go to Claudio's on the dock. It is at the very end of the town right on the water. Also, on the way you will go through Long Island Wine Country - there are some great wineries here. Stop for a free tasting if you want - my favorite ones are Martha Clara and Pindar.

If you want more ideas let me know.

larudden
06-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the tips! Now, can you call my DH and talk him into stopping at all of these yarn shops?:grin:

Knitcrazy
06-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Come to Burger King every Wen at 10:00 in Merrick on Merrick Rd...
We just started a knit and chat group..

peneloercola@aol.com

knit4u
07-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Hey Connie,

How are you? What have you been knitting? Thought I'd say "HI" here....did you get my last email? I think it was last week. How's the Zach-man doing?

Hope all is well!
Ronnie

Samsam
07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm from LI too, suffolk :waving:

contom
07-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Hey Ronnie!!! I haven't signed on in quite some time! I did get your email, late, missed the first one until I got the second and looked through past days and found it. I was in NYC for almost a week, had an incredible time, went to see three shows, shopped, walked all over and ate! I did email you a couple of days ago.
I haven't been knitting since going to the Keys Memorial Weekend, I will start again soon. Just enjoying the beach, walking and bike riding, oh, and most of all the little Z-man! xo Connie

contom
07-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Samsam! Where are you in Suffolk? I'm in Wainscott, a tiny town between Bridgehampton and East Hampton. How long have you been knitting? What are you working on? I have a couple of things in the making, I just haven't picked them up in a couple of months.........Too much to do outdoors, and the beach is right down the road calling to me............Contom

Samsam
07-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi contom! I've been knitting since december of this year but I've been learning pretty fast. I like to make head bands to test out different stitches and bags. I've recently made a little bunny for my friend, I made the pieces and she put it together. She's great at making sense of my random pieces! I finished a purse the other day with a liner and zipper, I'm proud of it :lol: I don't live as far east as you, I live close to Sayville and Bayport.

contom
07-17-2007, 07:45 AM
wow, lined and a zipper, I'm impressed! I have been knitting for about 2 years now, self taught, I make mostly baby sweaters. they are faster to accomplish. i have one for myself that i started late winter. in a bag......waiting to be completed. i just have the sleves and putting it together to complete. i usually put down the knitting for summer reading. happy knitting. connie (contom)

Samsam
07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Same here Connie! I'm trying to fit reading AND knitting together...so I'm settling it, I read about knitting! :rofling:
nah, I try to split my time up..knitting during the day and reading at night.

kitkaty
08-07-2007, 07:05 AM
There is a knitting store in Plainview on old country road that is very good....people meet and knit there also.....

kitkaty
08-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Do they still meet in Hicksville on Friday at the food court at 1 pm????