PDA

View Full Version : When giving a knitted gift

miccisue
11-20-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm knitting lapghans for Christmas presents. Am I supposed to wash them before I give them as presents, or leave the first wash for the recipient? :??

I've heard both things - wash them first, or give them as they are finished. None of them are dirty or dusty, so that's not a reason for washing them.

What is the "proper procedure" for this?

Thanks a million for any advice!!!!

LoAnnie
11-20-2006, 04:09 PM
I would wash them, since some people are more sensitive to chemicals used in the processing of the yarn. Also to test the colorfastness of the colors, so that you can warn them not to wash with other colors.

LoAnnie

gardenmommy
11-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I think washing also helps "even things up" a bit too.

CarmenIbanez
11-20-2006, 04:15 PM
For me, it depends on the gift. I always include wash instructions with the gift though. Because even if you wash it, people will sometimes rewash it.

Yarnlady
11-21-2006, 09:07 AM
I always wash things, just to see if any loose ends come out or Goddess forbid, stitches come undone. And it's happened.... :pout:

mulene
11-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Erk I'd not thought to wash the scarf I knit.. hrm I best do that before I hand it over!

Mom to Many
11-21-2006, 05:31 PM
:teehee:
I am planning on washing these dish cloths since I am knitting with a cold. Achooo! I have washed my hands raw, but, I will still wash them.