PDA

View Full Version : simple hat with confusing crown instructions...

txwrexnstuff
11-21-2006, 02:27 AM
so i got this off lionbrand.com and it looks simple and with only a slight modification in the ribbing it will go great with the scarf i'm making, and i get the hat part and how to sew it up to make it a hat but i'm a bit confused by the crown instructions, is it a decrease? can anyone help me decipher this? :doh:

HAT
With MC, cast on 72 (78, 84) stitches. Work in Knit 1, Purl 1 Ribbing for 1 inches. Change to Stockinette stitch and work 4 rows. Work even in chosen Stripe Pattern until Hat measures 6 (6, 7) inches from beginning.

CROWN :wall:
Begin crown shaping as follows:
Row 1 *Knit 4, knit 2 together; repeat from the * to end 60 (65, 70) stitches.
Row 2 and all wrong side rows Purl.
Row 3 *Knit 3, knit 2 together; repeat from the * to end 48 (52, 56) stitches.
Row 5 *Knit 2, knit 2 together; repeat from the * to end 36 (39, 42) stitches.
Row 7 *Knit 1, knit 2 together; repeat from the * to end 24 (26, 28) stitches.
Row 9 *Knit 2 together; repeat from the * to end 12 (13, 14) stitches.
Row 10 *Knit 2 together; repeat from the * to end 6 (7, 7) stitches.

Cut yarn, leaving a long tail, and thread through large-eyed, blunt needle. Draw through all stitches and tighten. Sew in place and sew back Hat seam.

and the pic is what it's supposed to look like

Jan in CA
11-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Yes, you are decreasing. Knitting two together (k2tog) is a decrease of one each time you do it. You will be decreasing on the right side of the work. The purl rows in between are done on the wrong side or inside of the hat in this case. The reason you decrease every other row is so it's more gradual and rounded. When you finish the decreasing you'll cut the yarn leaving a long tail
and thread it through a yarn needle. Use the needle to take the remaining stitches off the knitting needle and cinch them up. I would go through the remaining stitches twice before weaving in the ends. Then seam the hat.

txwrexnstuff
11-21-2006, 12:39 PM
ok so no binding off and should i block it before i sew it up or sew it then block it?

suzeeq
11-21-2006, 01:44 PM
What kind of yarn are you using? If it's an acrylic, they don't block, you just wash and dry.

sue

Jan in CA
11-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Blocking isn't necessary with acrylic or even some acrylic blends. Personally I'd probably just sew it up and then wash it.

I've done dozens of hats, but never a seamed one though so see how it looks when you're done and then decide. I try to avoid seaming at all costs. :teehee:

txwrexnstuff
11-22-2006, 04:55 AM
it'll be baby alpaca. i liked this one because it has the ribbing and was flat. i'm not good with dpns nor have i used a circular needle. this will actualy be my second project.

Jan in CA
11-22-2006, 01:17 PM
In that case blocking might be a good idea if the edges aren't flat and easy to seam. ;)

BTW..once you try circs you will never go back. :heart: