PDA

View Full Version : OT: Why didn't anyone tell me????

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Ok, I know this is going to show how totally clueless I can be. But I had NO idea Thanksgiving was this week until yesterday! My daughter asked when we were shopping for food, and I said.. well I need to go into town and Friday, and she says... yeah, but umm... mom, Thanksgiving is THURSDAY!

Yeah... NEXT Thursday.. not this Thursday. No mom.. THIS Thursday.

*sigh* Don't ask me how I missed that... maybe I'm just in denial. Now you all know what my daughter has to put up with. Imagine what it will be like by time I'm old!

Mama Bear

janelanespaintbrush
11-21-2006, 12:27 PM
That's okay. I've had all kinds of holidays sneak up on me. At least someone in your house remembered!

HamburgKnitter
11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
I bet you would have gotten a great deal on a Turkey on Friday, though! :teehee:

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 12:36 PM
I bet you would have gotten a great deal on a Turkey on Friday, though! :teehee:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Mama Bear

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Now this is getting totally ridiculous! I could take the OT off the subject line, because my latest goof involves knitting.

Anyone see any loose brain cells laying around, they may be mine!

I just knit 16 rows of a Christmas stocking, when my daughter came in ... Mom, have you seen my size 7 needle?

No, I'm using size 6's.

Well I wasn't. I was using ONE size 6 and one size 7. Granted they were both Clovers, but they weren't even the same color! The 7's are stained purple from the alpaca/silk yarn she is using right now.

Not only that, but I can usually tell you what size a needle is just by feel. I thought something felt off... but I just was SO sure I had my needles.

.... brain cells, where are you?

Mama Bear

skNYC
11-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Just see it as a nice surprise ;)

slugmom
11-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey MamaBear,

I wanted to say:
1.) I've been in denial about the holiday coming, too.
2.) I was so spacey the other day I made my son a sandwich with a (ahem) sliced cheese that was still wrapped.
3.) Hi! It's nice to see you! It's me, Kim in MI! When I saw your post I thought "Oh, is that MY MamaBear?" LOL - not that you're mine. I'm not a creepy stalker. Just a semi-long-lost-friend.

:)
kim

janelanespaintbrush
11-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, I've accidentally knit with two different sizes before, but at least they were the same color! It took quite a while before I figured out why my knitting felt so tight, though. :rofl:

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Kim! It's great to see you! :) So are you knitting now? :rofl: on the sliced cheese! Sounds like something I would do.

SkyNYC, great attitude! I guess I can't get stressed about the holidays if I don't know they are coming! :??

Jane, nice to know I'm not alone! Funny thing is.. I kept thinking how my knitting seemed a bit loose.

Mama Bear

slugmom
11-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Kim! It's great to see you! :) So are you knitting now?

Yes, sort of.

our mutual friend M encouraged me to get started, using the directions here, and pointed me to the dishcloth patterns.

I've knit:
- one sample dish cloth that was just back-and-forth
- one of "Grandma's favorite dishcloth" that I knit BADLY because I misunderstood the directions.
- one that I knit right (YAY!)

and I've started and frogged a poncho, twice now. LOL. Here's hoping 3rd time's a charm. I don't have a knitting blog, but I'm posting about my knitting attempts (in my usual overly-verbose way) on my blog ... M has the address if you'd like to stop by you're welcome any time!

:)

Mama Bear
11-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Kim,

Funny how things work! You realize I'm the one that got M started with the knittinghelp videos? Did she warn you that knitting can be addictive and interfere with daily life? :teehee:

Sounds like you have a good start! After all, once you have the knit stitch and the purl stitch down, everything else is just a variation of those!

I'll have to visit your blog :)

Mama Bear

Jan in CA
11-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Holidays always sneak up on me! :teehee:

Sissy
11-21-2006, 02:35 PM
:shrug: You are on overload like the rest of us.....I remembered because its my birthday on Thanksgiving............... :roflhard:

snowbear
11-21-2006, 10:33 PM
*walks over to Mama Bear, Places Large, * really Large* calender on her wall.

Mama Bear.. this is November. Due to goverment regs each 4 th Thursday of this month it is a national holiday called Thanksgiving.... :teehee:

Now I realize that us Bears sometimes hybernate in the winter, and by the time November rolls around we just aren't up to our regular selves. :blooby:

Now, next month, December mind you, there is another holiday.. It is about one month exactly from Thanksgiving, give or take a day.. that is when Santa comes. :star:

So, break out the receipe books, get the shopping list, and go for it. I have no doubt that you will rise to the occasion. :cheering:

:hug: hang in there Bear, just realize how much stuff you have to do in the next 32 or so days.... :teehee:

CateKnits
11-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I remembered because I'm home from school and I'm working on Thursday...but since we don't get off for Easter, I forget when that is. :shrug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Just blame it on FDR, mamabear. Prior to his presidency, Thanksgiving was always on the LAST thursday in November,.... he moved it up a week in the hopes that an extra week of shopping before Christmas would help jump start the economy.

madametj
11-22-2006, 01:28 AM
Now this is getting totally ridiculous! I could take the OT off the subject line, because my latest goof involves knitting.

Anyone see any loose brain cells laying around, they may be mine!

I just knit 16 rows of a Christmas stocking, when my daughter came in ... Mom, have you seen my size 7 needle?

No, I'm using size 6's.

Well I wasn't. I was using ONE size 6 and one size 7. Granted they were both Clovers, but they weren't even the same color! The 7's are stained purple from the alpaca/silk yarn she is using right now.

Not only that, but I can usually tell you what size a needle is just by feel. I thought something felt off... but I just was SO sure I had my needles.

.... brain cells, where are you?

Mama Bear

wow, ur daughter knits? how old is she?

i'm sorry, child/teen knitters are an endangered species where i live...