PDA

View Full Version : red heart yarn

madametj
11-22-2006, 01:24 AM
in one of the topics i saw that 1 person said that the worse mistake theyd made was buying red heart yarn. this kinda confused me, since red heart yarn is just about the only yarn i use, seeing as i dont really care to (or really think i should) spend a lot of money on yarn.

so now i ask the question: do you use red heart yarn?

brendajos
11-22-2006, 01:36 AM
:oops: That was me....sorry. It isn't because it is cheap that I don't use it...I just don't like it. I was being rather tongue in cheek when I said that. I do sometimes use some of the less expensive yarns and have an afghan that i love and cherish made from red heart that my grandmother made. I just prefer not to use red heart when i am knitting. if i am going to use one of the less expensive yarns it would be simply soft or something along those lines. It really is just a preference issue for me. :oops:

madametj
11-22-2006, 01:42 AM
:oops: That was me....sorry. It isn't because it is cheap that I don't use it...I just don't like it. I was being rather tongue in cheek when I said that. I do sometimes use some of the less expensive yarns and have an afghan that i love and cherish made from red heart that my grandmother made. I just prefer not to use red heart when i am knitting. if i am going to use one of the less expensive yarns it would be simply soft or something along those lines. It really is just a preference issue for me. :oops:

there's no problem with that. i was just curious....

jessica555
11-22-2006, 01:55 AM
I like it because it can take a beating which is great because I can practice and frog on it forever....and teach friends things with it too.

humblestumble
11-22-2006, 02:01 AM
I don't really use it anymore. I used to use it a lot, but I don't like it as much as some of the other nylon/synthetic blends I've seen and felt, like Patons, and Bernat. I like really soft stuff that's within my budget. And now that I knit more often and I know the difference of the feel, I really would rather not knit with Red Heart yarn. I mean, some of it is nice, like I like Light and Lofty, but I really don't like just "acrylic" labeled yarn in general.

Jan in CA
11-22-2006, 02:01 AM
For the most part I don't like it. It's not very soft and it doesn't feel good on my hands when knitting. That being said my stepmom crocheted me an afghan out of some new Red Heart called Red Heart Soft...and it IS! I might do charity stuff out of it, but still probably wouldn't use it for myself. There are plenty of other yarns that don't cost a lot more and are heavenly!

suzeeq
11-22-2006, 02:03 AM
There's Red Heart, and then there's Red Heart... and TLC. I made a nice fuzzy sweater from Symphony. Red Heart Soft is very soft, similar to Caron's Simply Soft and Bernat Softee Chunkee. It's in between thickness to those. And I'd like to make a sweater with TLC Amore - I think it'll be nice especially in a multicolor.

sue

orcoastknitter
11-22-2006, 02:36 AM
I started to use Red Heart for my Christmas scarves for my pets. However I couldn't stand it. It dried out my hands. I spent more time putting lotion on my hands than knitting. I am using Bernat Berella instead. It's not as bad. When I started to knit I used the Bernat. But I try to use natural fibers as much as I can.

Braden
11-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Yes, it's all I use. Not that I can't afford more expensive natural fibers, I just don't care to use them. Red Heart softens up when washed and creates a very durable fabric.

janelanespaintbrush
11-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Honestly, I've never tried it. My first yarn purchase was from an LYS -- I felt so overwhelmed and intimidated when I went in there that I didn't do much exploring. I asked the nice lady to suggest something and ended up with a wool/acrylic blend -- it was cheap and I liked the color. I came online to look for videos because the book I was trying to learn from wasn't very good, and I found this place. I learned about KP and ordered some WOTA which I liked much better because it was softer and a lot springier, which made it much easier to work with. (I also really liked the price!)

Anyway, as I continued to read through past forum threads, I quickly learned that that Red Heart and acrylics in general, were not very popular. One "exception" that a few people mentioned was Caron Simply Soft, so I went to Joann's and bought some. Unfortunately, I didn't care for it much because it wasn't very stretchy, which made it a lot harder to knit with, in comparison to WOTA. It also felt a little weird on my hands... I can't explain it.

I've never liked wearing wools very much but I really prefer knitting with them -- lately I've been favoring superwash yarns for practicality -- and especially merinos, for obvious reasons. Cotton just doesn't do it for me -- at least I haven't found one that does. People keep talking about Plymouth Encore as a nice blend so I've been meaning to try it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

mulene
11-22-2006, 08:19 AM
We don't get that here in the UK that I know of so I've never worked with it. I have heard its ok tho.

Jax3303
11-22-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't use it. Simply because the regular Red Heart is a really rough acrylic and I can't stand the way it feels sliding through my fingers, or against my skin. Natural fibers just feel so much better. I also don't like the way the rough acrylic looks, the finished item just dosen't look as nice as something made with a better yarn. Before I was a knitter, I was a crocheter. The Red Heart Acrylic was all I used for crochet. it Dried out my hands a lot, and was extremely itchy. The only reason I stuck with it was because I had no idea of what wonderful yarns are out there.

tab
11-22-2006, 09:28 AM
I used the regular Red Heart once and found it to be too scratchy for my taste, but I recently took a gamble on some Red Heart Soft and wow, is it ever nice to touch. I'm still not the biggest fan of the normal stuff, but I've definitely changed my outlook on Red Heart as a whole because of their new lovely soft yarn. Even if it is ewwwww acrylic - I've never been a fibre snob. ;)

mwedzi
11-22-2006, 10:21 AM
I used to use Red Heart all the time back in the day. When I took up crocheting again last year after many years hiatus, I noticed there was a much greater variety of yarns. I crocheted my Ripple Sweater with some Berroco Softwist, Trendsetter Dune, and LionBrand Microspun. After that, it was no going back. I picked up some Red Heart and, without exaggeration, it felt like it was going to scrape my skin off my finger as it ran across it. It is just too harsh for me now. Funny how it didn't feel too harsh before, only after working with something different for a while did I begin to notice.

I do like and use Caron Simply Soft. Even for it, though, I can tell it's all acrylic. It has a plastic-y feel when you rub it in between your fingers, and a kind of . . . squeakyness when knitting or crocheting with it.

knit-errant
11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Like somebody else up there said, there's Red Heart... and then there's Red Heart.

They've got a few yarns I rather like. (What can I say? I started out a crocheter! You can take the crocheter out of the Red Heart, but you can't take the... wait, that doesn't make sense. :?? ) Anyway, Bijou is really pretty, Symphony is nice and soft, and the Soft yarn is decent/similar to Simply Soft.

As for the Super Saver, I don't care for it; just doesn't feel very nice IMO. If I had to go for a low price worsted acrylic, I'd rather get TLC (even if it's also made by Coats and Clark) or Caron Simply Soft.

Doublereeder2
11-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I like their "Luster Sheen" for lacy scarves. It is acrylic, but smooth and a fine weight. Other than that, no I am not a fan. The heavier weights feel too scratchy for my taste.

My Mom uses only Red Heart Pound of Love :heart: for her afghans - it holds up well and feels nice and soft after many washings. But then she lives in a small town in the country and has only a WalMart where she can buy yarn.

kellyh57
11-22-2006, 11:36 AM
I've used it, but I prefer Caron's Perfect Match for my cheap yarn. I don't know what the difference is, but it feels softer to me. I have made a few afghans with both and I just like Caron's better. It is true that they both soften up after washing. I'm not ashamed. If someone wants a warm or super soft blanket, I'll go buy some fleece and tie it together. If they want something really pretty that I spent a lot of time on, I'll give them something knitted with cheap yarn!

Kelly

madametj
11-22-2006, 11:48 AM
oh my, i'm embarassed :oops: now...i didnt know it was soooo unpopular! some ppl are saying its too scrath, which hasnt been a problem for me since its what i started out with. walmart is just aobut the only place i have to buy yarn, but i think even they have some other brands, though i wouldnt know which to buy. same goes for michaels, but they dont have that gr8 of a knitting supplies selection anyway. i used to have this wonderful stroe called A.C Moore, they had tons of brands there--but super saver was the cheapest so thats what i bought :teehee: . plus i didnt know which size needle to use with the others.

come to think :?? of it i do remember my mom saying my scarves were to itchy to wear...

hey, but if you guys have any red heart left, and u really hate it that much...u can always send it send it to :happydance: me!

stitchwitch
11-22-2006, 12:10 PM
I'll knit with anything that will bend around my needles. I've even considered trying to use some of the spanish moss that seems to cover my backyard every time the wind blows hard. :teehee:

janelanespaintbrush
11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
oh my, i'm embarassed :oops:

Don't be. Lots of people use it and love it. And if what's available in your area is limited, how were you to even know that there was anything else out there?

I think that a lot of the knitters here really enjoy the knitting process -- with includes experiencing the sensual properties of the fiber they're working with -- and that comes across in their yarn preferences. Now that you're a KH member, you'll learn a lot more about different yarns, and find out where you can shop for them online. Try some out and see what you think. There's no guarantee that you'll prefer them over Red Heart -- it's hard to beat the availability (since you can buy it locally), durability, and machine-washability. Then again, you maybe turn into a fiber snob and never go back. :teehee:

knit-errant
11-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I like their "Luster Sheen" for lacy scarves. It is acrylic, but smooth and a fine weight. Other than that, no I am not a fan. The heavier weights feel too scratchy for my taste.

I don't know how I forgot about Lustersheen, especially when I'm making something with it currently! :doh:

Calamintha
11-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Like many people I started out knitting with acrylic yarns. It didn't bother me then but after I started using natural fibers I just couldn't go back to the acrylic. There is just something unpleasant about the way it feels when I am knitting with it.

Stiney
11-22-2006, 06:17 PM
I've never used Red Heart because when I touch most of it, it feels plastic-y and gross, but that is purely my opinion. Use what's in your budget/reach. They're your projects, don't worry about anything except that knitting them makes you (and any recipients) happy.

trollgirl
11-22-2006, 06:24 PM
I used Red Heart and other affordable yarns to try new things out. Red Heart does feel kind of rough, but it's not that bad. I'm not that much of a yarn snob. And I've decided to not bother with nice expensive yarns for gifts, unless I know the person will appreciate it. I took my friend to one of the LYSs I frequent, so we could get her yarn for a hat, and she was unhappy that everything was expensive, handwash-only wool. Even though I made her pet some Mmmmalabrigo, she seems unable to get by the mental block that tells her that wool = scratchy. So if she ever gets gifts in future, it will be plastic yarn.. like Softee Chunky or something.

Same goes for my other friends, including the DBF. Not because I don't care, but because I know he'll never remember that it's handwash only. :teehee:

Rorshach
11-22-2006, 07:05 PM
I'll use Red heart yarn for afghans mostly. but for clothing? eh, I'd rather use superwash wool or other yarns.

sfavereau
11-22-2006, 07:18 PM
I think a lot of the bargain acrylic yarns feel horrible to knit with and the finished fabric is nasty feeling too, but that's just my opinion... :shrug:

There are some expensive natural fiber yarns that feel absolutely terrible too, so maybe it's just me.

jess_hawk
11-22-2006, 07:33 PM
I currently have two rolls of red heart ready to use for a hat for my brother... he and I don't spend much money on each other so I wasn't going to go out and buy any really nice yarn for him. I also learned to knit with it. On the other hand... the store where I work started carrying Paton's merino wool and I pretty much stopped using acrylic unless its a novelty yarn. I guess I have some TLC that I like, and some Simply Soft. but I agree that mostly, Red Heart is just too rough compared to all of the other yarns you can find. besides, who wants to knit with Red Heart when there's all kinds of fun wools to play with? **hugs merino and alpaca yarns**. Still, inexpensive yarn has its uses. Such as cheap hats for annoying little brothers. (by the way, I'm going to knit him one of those Pirates Fairisle hats... so the time I spend on it will make up for the cheap yarn.)

miccisue
11-22-2006, 08:45 PM
oh my, i'm embarassed :oops: now...i didnt know it was soooo unpopular! some ppl are saying its too scrath, which hasnt been a problem for me since its what i started out with. walmart is just aobut the only place i have to buy yarn, but i think even they have some other brands, though i wouldnt know which to buy. same goes for michaels, but they dont have that gr8 of a knitting supplies selection anyway. i used to have this wonderful stroe called A.C Moore, they had tons of brands there--but super saver was the cheapest so thats what i bought :teehee: . plus i didnt know which size needle to use with the others.

come to think :?? of it i do remember my mom saying my scarves were to itchy to wear...

hey, but if you guys have any red heart left, and u really hate it that much...u can always send it send it to :happydance: me!

There is absolutely no need to be embarrassed. I use Red Heart a lot, and have no problems with it at all. Personally, I can't afford $7 and up for a 50 gram ball of yarn. If that makes me less of a knitter, so be it. I can't wear wool, have never tried alpaca (again, the $$$ comes into play), and inexpensive acrylics are what my budget allows.

We all have to do what we have to do...I'd rather use "cheap" yarn and be able to knit than to not be able to knit at all. I will admit, I do get tired of the stigma that seems to follow people who use inexpensive acrylics....kinda like I should sit in the corner and yell "unclean, unclean". But, I'm not doing this to impress anyone...I'm doing it because I enjoy it and can save some bucks by giving handknit gifts.

Someone mentioned the Red Heart being scratchy, and I agree that right out of the skein it is, but I think that is just stuff they put on it like they do yard goods. After a washing or two, I find the afghans nice and cuddly. But, that's just me.

Again, don't apologize and don't be embarrassed. Just enjoy the craft of knitting. :cheering:

madametj
11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
woo-hoo! i'm not alone! :woot: at least 12 ppl use red heart and my little poll shows that most ppl use red heart at least sometimes

jdee
11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I've used Red Heart a lot. It's not my favorite, but I don't especially hate it either.

brendajos
11-23-2006, 12:36 AM
There are some expensive natural fiber yarns that feel absolutely terrible too, so maybe it's just me.

*nods*

suzeeq
11-23-2006, 02:12 AM

I don't know how I forgot about Lustersheen, especially when I'm making something with it currently! :doh:

I haven't seen Lustersheen in the stores for quite a while. I wonder if they've discontinued it, or if it's only available on line? That was nice too.

And I agree about the expensive natural yarns. I find most wools to be too scratchy and people rave over Silk Garden but I thought it was as rough as the old RH acrylic I have in my stash that I'm working on a making a cardi from because I have it and like the color. Anyway, some `good' yarns aren't always `better'. It depends on what's available to you, and what you like the feel of.

Oh, and I like washability too. ;)

sue

Yarnlady
11-23-2006, 07:59 AM
I'd rather use "cheap" yarn and be able to knit than to not be able to knit at all. I will admit, I do get tired of the stigma that seems to follow people who use inexpensive acrylics....kinda like I should sit in the corner and yell "unclean, unclean".
Amen!

knit-errant
11-23-2006, 09:50 AM
I haven't seen Lustersheen in the stores for quite a while. I wonder if they've discontinued it, or if it's only available on line? That was nice too.
sue

I've found it at Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. Neither has a particularly good selection of colors in my area, though.

horve1
11-23-2006, 10:34 AM
I've used RH in the past, don't use it much anymore, but I think (hope!) that's more because of my desire to keep trying new things with knitting. That includes everything: making different items, learning new stitches, trying different kinds of needles, and YARNS! (bamboo, corn, silk, musk ox....).

But - and here I'd like to insert a trumpet call of triumph! - my son began knitting last night :woohoo: I brought home several skeins for him to choose from (different textures, different fibers, different textures...) - and he picked the RH!

suzeeq
11-23-2006, 10:59 AM
sue

I've found it at Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. Neither has a particularly good selection of colors in my area, though.

Oh whoops. I'm always confusing Lustersheen with TLC Lustre. It's the Lustre I haven't seen in a while. Very soft, like Caron SS and a worsted weight. The LS is very thin; I don't use needles that small.

sue

madametj
11-24-2006, 02:13 PM
so if red heart is so icky, wuts the best type of yarn or fiber or whatever u call it--i think wool itches even more than red heart

Jan in CA
11-24-2006, 02:18 PM
so if red heart is so icky, wuts the best type of yarn or fiber or whatever u call it--i think wool itches even more than red heart

Well, it depends on what you are making of course, but take a look at Bernat and Patons yarns when you are at Michaels, Joanns or wherever next time. They are usually pretty good prices and are softer.

brendajos
11-24-2006, 02:19 PM
well, I haven't read this whole thread, but there are lots of choices at places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels (well my michaels doesn't have a LOT beyond novelty yarns but you know....) that are softer than red heart. Lion has some stuff that is pretty decent....i think it was TLC who had stuff that I used for a baby blanket that was really soft and drapey. (I think it was essentials) Go around and feel the stuff up and see what else you like.

In the end we all like what we like. There are a lot of people here who like Plymouth Encore yarns...I hate them....i don't think they are soft at all and i don't like how they come out of the skein for me. It is all about preference and personal tastes. :shrug:

suzeeq
11-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Hobby Lobby's baby yarn, Sweet Delight, is nice and soft. It mostly only comes in lighter shades, though there's a nice turquoise and darker blue, and a yellow and peach that I like.

Paton's Classic Merino is supposed to very nice to the touch, but yeah, wool yarns are just as scratchy as the cheaper acrylics.

sue

Stiney
11-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Caron's Simply Soft is a nice affordable acrylic.

madametj
11-24-2006, 03:03 PM

Well, it depends on what you are making of course, but take a look at Bernat and Patons yarns when you are at Michaels, Joanns or wherever next time. They are usually pretty good prices and are softer.

i think i did see some Bernat @ walmart last time, i'll look for patons and some others next time

janelanespaintbrush
11-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Not all wools are scratchy. Merino wool (from the merino sheep) is very soft, though it tends to be a bit pricier than others. (Big surprise, huh?)

Stitch
11-24-2006, 05:18 PM
i dont use red heart because i dont like working with it. nothing to do with price. I get most all my yarn from knitpicks. so i dont spend a lot of money on yarn...
occasionally, i will splurge, but i only buy yarns that feel soft and yarns i like to work with.

suzeeq
11-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Not all wools are scratchy. Merino wool (from the merino sheep) is very soft, though it tends to be a bit pricier than others. (Big surprise, huh?)

Yes, I've found that with the Merino style from Knit picks. Not too bad at all. But the skeins are so small!!! I know Paton's classic merino is about twice the yardage, but it's also twice the price. Acrylics are 200-300 yds per skein.

sue

madametj
11-25-2006, 10:33 PM
so... in general how much is normal to spend on yarn (in terms of skeins)? i know i all depends on the fiber and how many yards or something, but just give me kinda an average of what is cheap, normal, and pricey to spend on yarn, for exampe i'm guessing that $2 a skein is cheap...

Jan in CA
11-25-2006, 10:58 PM
What is expensive to one person might not be to another. To me $10 a skein is too much if I'm going to making a sweater, but for a hat it's not so bad. I tend to use a lot of Bernat and Patons right now and I spend anywhere from $3-7 or so.

And like we've mentioned.. one $2 skein might be cheap, scratchy stuff and another $2 yarn might be pretty soft. It's all personal preference.

brendajos
11-25-2006, 10:59 PM
again it is all perspective and for me it depends on the project. I have happily spent $2 on Knit Picks yarn as well as $15 on Malabrigo. I wouldn't be likely to spend $15/skein on an afghan but would for smaller projects. I think, generally, for me the yarn is somewhere between $5 and $15. $15 is usually about where I have to think about it before I will buy it.

suzeeq
11-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I look at the total cost of what I'm knitting. I'm very happy to get a sweater for around $10, but under $20 with `nicer' yarn is good too. Last year I ended up spending $16 on Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk for 2 skeins for a scarf. I thought I could make it with one, or I wouldn't have spent that much. I just sorta call it my Christmas splurge. :shrug: Normally, I don't spend more than $2 or $3 for a scarf.

sue

janelanespaintbrush
11-26-2006, 12:14 PM
You may find that your notion of what is "expensive" may change a bit as you get increasingly "spoiled." This is not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm an extremely frugal and practical person by nature, so if I could find a yarn that that was inexpensive, that wore well, and that was easy to care for, I'd be all over it. My first skein of yarn was all of these, but I unfortunately did NOT like knitting with it very much -- which really is the most important thing for me, when I get down to it.

Ultimately, I've come to find that the most pragmatic choices for me are usually wool (because I haven't found an acrylic or cotton that I like knitting with yet), and superwash, because DH does the laundry and I don't want to take any chances. I also tend to be most attracted to merinos because of the softness -- I know that neither DH or I would wear something scratchy very often. So I usually end up spending a little more than I would if I got the very cheapest yarn, but it's worth it when I look at the over all cost-benefit analysis.

nadja la claire
11-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I like RH Soft but that's about it. Forget RH SS I tried to knit an afgan with it once but I just hated the way it felt in my hands and I really didn't like the color. After that I decided that comfort was as important as price. Bernat Satin is a very nice, inexpensive acrylic and of course theres Carons SS. Paton's Calsic Merino is soft and inexpensive 4.99 for 224/yds and I just love KP yarns even their very cheap WOTA is nice. If it came right down to it I use anything rather than not knit.

Nadja xxx

booskibabe
11-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I used RH the first time I ever knit. I don't like the regular Red Heart, but I have tried the Amore and TLC and I like them both. I haven't used wool because I want to be able to wash whatever I make! 8)

madametj
11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
thanx for your comments every1! much apperciated

madametj
11-27-2006, 10:14 PM
bump!

psammeadred
11-27-2006, 11:41 PM
My first project was a crocheted blanket (3 strands of Red Heart Super Saver, size Q hook, single crochet) that weighs a TON and isn't very soft or warm. I've washed it, and it's still pretty scratchy. I have a good bit of it in my stash that is probably going to be sitting there for a while. It's not fun to work with, and it dries up my hands horribly. Caron Simply Soft is much better, but it's still not wool. Mmm...wool...

If you want inexpensive natural fibers, try recycling sweaters from thrift stores! I got about a pound of sportweight alpaca from a sweater that cost me less than $4.

If unraveling sweaters isn't your thing, try the 40% off coupons from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. At my local Michaels, they have an alpaca blend that is just about the softest thing I think I've ever felt.

madametj
11-28-2006, 05:56 PM
I have a good bit of it in my stash that is probably going to be sitting there for a while.

seriously? i'll totally take it off ur hands....

what am i thinking, of course u'll want something for it ~thinks~ hmm...i think i have a US 2 needle that i wont be needing.........

Carol_OH
11-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Im actually using it right now to make a childs poncho - hoping it will soften up in the wash..basically Im using it to try out a new pattern. it seems to be working quite well

midnightskyfibers
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I'll admit- I'm a yarn snob through and through. *but* that doesn't stop me from using red heart when a pattern calls for it, some kid ites, and for certain charity knitting. If an object needs to be blocked to look good though, it just doesn't cut it for me (most of the time).

madametj
11-29-2006, 07:45 PM
i just bought some Caron Simply Soft :happydance: at Hobby Lobby (that store is soo awesome!) and i admit it feels much better on the hands than red heart does. i wanted some softer yarn to make wrist warmers with. love red heart, but it wouldnt use it for socks or gloves.

i was so content with red heart before, i mean, i'll still use it, but i almost wish no one ever told me about the other kinds, does that make sense at all? :??

suzeeq
11-30-2006, 02:30 AM
Go back to Hobby Lobby and get (or feel) some of the Sweet Delight baby yarn, especially the Twist. Man is it soft! Mostly pastel colors, but they do have some darker ones. Oh, it's on sale this week! ;)

sue

brownishcoat
11-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I love Sweet Delight! I used it to make a pair of socks and a scarf for my mom. It IS really soft and the colors are beautiful. :D

Stiney
11-30-2006, 04:46 PM
We have lots of afghans my grandma crocheted, and mom thinks they were acrylic. I wouldn't be surprised if they were Red Heart. (Grandma thought you could take money with you, I think.) They're very soft after all these years.

madametj
11-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Go back to Hobby Lobby and get (or feel) some of the Sweet Delight baby yarn, especially the Twist. Man is it soft! Mostly pastel colors, but they do have some darker ones. Oh, it's on sale this week! ;)

sue

:pout: i dont think i'll make it back there this week