PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Yarn

jessica555
11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Has any one worked with bamboo? Is it like a light weight cotten, better for summer items?:shrug:
When you buy yarn how do you know how many projects are in a skeen?
Why are some sold by weight, and others by the yard :?? Do any of you ever buy more yarn for a prodject than what the pattern calls for...just incase? :oops: I know trust the pattern...I do...it's me I am having issues with :zombie: Once again thanks for your help

HamburgKnitter
11-22-2006, 06:06 AM
"Has any one worked with bamboo? Is it like a light weight cotten, better for summer items?:shrug:"

I am currently knitting my first sock using Regia Bamboo sock yarn. It's 45% bamboo. I'm a newbie and certainly no expert, so I will just tell you what it says on the label which is that bamboo makes the material light & "breathable" (sorry, I'm translating this from german). I assume they mean that it's good for potentially sweaty feet (ewwwww).

"When you buy yarn how do you know how many projects are in a skeen?"

I have found that most online shops list how much yarn you need for sweater sizes, etc. More importantly, most patterns will tell you how much you need. And I think it's a matter of experience too. I bet some of the experienced knitters will tell you that they can calculate how much they'll need through experience.

"Why are some sold by weight, and others by the yard :?? "

I have no idea!

"Do any of you ever buy more yarn for a prodject than what the pattern calls for...just incase? :oops: I know trust the pattern...I do...it's me I am having issues with :zombie:"

For the few projects I have knitted so far I have bought the recommended amount of yarn + one skein. This kept me from being worried throughout the project that I was going to run out of yarn. But that's just me. :teehee: The first thing I knitted was a scarf. I went to my LYS and had the saleslady help me pick out the yarn. The amount she recommended and sold to me would have knit a scarf to fit around my house. So I have a nice, long scarf, a hat out of the same yarn and one and a half skeins left over. I'll probably make myself some mittens with them one of these days.....

jessica555
11-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Thank you :hug: I have only done two patterns for two different scarves... :rofl: Every time I start to knit again friends and family ask for scarves.....and I get board :wall: with those after a while and quit. My goal is to push through the boredom this year, and make a hat and mittens....and I think I want to felt the mittens!
:muah:,
J

mulene
11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
I bought 10 balls of Plymouth Royal Bamboo from ebay in the summer. I can't get that yarn here except for ebay. I took a huge risk but you know it was the best risk I've ever taken. It is BEAUTIFUL yarn. So gorgeous and drapes like silk. It was so gorgeous and I want more. I've not finished it but I am making a shell with it - its almost finished but it is SO lovely to work with.