PDA

View Full Version : Malabrigo then cotton :(

Stonington
11-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Morning all! I just finished a lucy bag for my daughter and am starting some dishcloths for my mum. I am really struggling with the cotton, seems so hard to knit with after the Malabrigo. :pout: Has anyone else experinced this? :??

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
anne
n sebago me

janelanespaintbrush
11-22-2006, 10:34 AM
The couple times I've tried cottons, I haven't really liked it as it's been hard on my hands. I need springiness in my yarn. I don't know why there aren't more cotton/lycra yarns available. Cascade fixation is one, and I've been meaning to try it, but it's gotten mixed reviews so I've been putting it off. :shrug:

mulene
11-22-2006, 10:42 AM
this past summer, I made something using rowan Cotton Glace in a gorgeous wine colour. I made a big mistake in the tank - it has a lace bottom but I messed up the short rows on the bust. You know what ? I almost quit knitting after that - it hurt my hands SO much I was sure I'd not be able to knit and that it was some kind of RSI. As it turned out - it was the cotton. I've left the shell in the bag and I'll probably never rip it back to fix the short row shaping on it.

I've not had the same RSI style problem again using any other yarn but that cotton.

Stonington
11-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Exactly! my hands hurt this morning.. usually they a bit stiff but not like this. I thought maybe it was because of the bamboo needles, but tried boyes and had the same result. :verysad:

anne
n sebago me

mulene
11-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah I think cotton is known to be hard on the hands - I think its the lack of stretch in the yarn. Such a bummer because I like cotton when it is finished. I hope you reach the end of your project without too much pain.

Not sure if cotton mixtures are better with a bit more give.

BillSpace
11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
I agree about cotton yarns. I've used a cotton tape from Rowan, and because that is essentially a woven tube, it had a little more springiness -- much easier on the hands. Kind of heavy for a full sweater -- the sweater pulls out of shape -- but for smaller projects, I might use it again.

Orchid22
11-22-2006, 12:54 PM
You should try recycled silk!! Uggghhh! I got done with my malabrigo scarf and then went to finish a recycled sari silk purse. I could swear that there are microscopic needles in the yarn!! :grrr:
I have to keep reminding myself that it will be so pretty when it is completely finished.

Martha