PDA

View Full Version : Help With Socks

Lighting57
11-23-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm hoping you sock fanatics can help me. I recently made a pair of socks with sock yarn on #3 DPN"S and used the long tail cast on, casting on 54 stitches. The socks turned out great for a beginners first pair. However, they aren't as tightly knitted as I like. So I have started another pair. This time I have used the same cast on method, the same yarn, but I have increased to 60 stitches and changed to #2 DPN"s. After making one inch of 1x1 ribbing I stopped to see how wide it will stretch. It isn't nearly enough. So now I will have to start over yet another time. Please, tell me the steps you go through to get a good fit. I wear a size 7 1/2 shoe. How many stitches do you cast on and which cast on method do you use? :shrug:

knitqueen
11-23-2006, 09:44 PM
I think that how many stitches you cast on depends a lot on your gauge. Personally, I tend to knit about middle of the road as far as tight/loose, and a 56 stitch sock is about right for me on a US2 needle. But that could be different for different people.

I would HIGHLY recommend to you the book called Sensational Knitted Socks (http://www.amazon.com/Sensational-Knitted-Socks-Charlene-Schurch/dp/1564775704)by Charlene Schurch. It has charts for nearly ANY possible gauge and for many foot circumferences so that you are pretty much guaranteed a perfect fit as long as you measure your gauge properly.

Lighting57
11-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks knitqueen. Which cast on do you use?

Lighting57
11-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Have any of you used the Alternate Cable Cast-On?
It is in the cast on section on this site.

knitqueen
11-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I use a regular long tail cast on with the two needles held together so the cast on is loose. I've never had problems with the cuff ending up too tight.

Auntie-Em
11-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Another suggested resource, that I just happened to check out from my library today, is "The Purl Stitch" by Sally Melville". On page 118 she has a chart of needle size, stitch gauge and resulting circumferences. She suggests going 1/2-1" less than the actual foot circumference -- so you don't end up with a baggy sock.

Good luck with your socks! Socks are next on my project list. I already bought two different skeins for socks.

Lighting57
11-25-2006, 07:31 PM
I love the books by Sally Melville, the author of the book you mention and one on the knit stitch as well. Plus others. I happen to have it checked out too. I'll go back and re read it.

I think that I should also do another gauge test. With me knitting these tighter and on #2's instead of #3's as before, that is probably the cause of my problem.

The tighter 1x1 rib looks better too than the 2x2 that I used on the first pair. Thanks.