PDA

View Full Version : Needle tip size comparison?

Jan in CA
11-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm very close to ordering Options, but the lack of a 16 in cable is holding me back for the moment. I've read about shortening the cord in the interchangeable thread, but from what I read the needle tips are long enough that you need to have it actually longer.. like 18 in.

Denise needles do not have a 16 in either, they have 17 in and while it does work for most hats some are just too stretched for that size. I would imagine Addis have a 16, but there is the cost issues. :wall:

I have a couple Addi 16 in circs and love them, but they are size 3 and 4 and I don't use them that often. So to get to the point....

Does anyone have Denise, Options, and Addis that you can take a photo of the needles to compare length? OR is there a website that compares them? I'm just curious why the 16 in seems to be a problem. :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
11-24-2006, 03:00 PM
The reason Denises can't go down to 16" is because it would strain too much. There has to be a balance between needle tip length and cable length. The longer the tips are, the longer the cables have to be in order for them to work without straining. But if the tips are too short, knitters with large hands might have a hard time holding onto them. So the people who designed the Denise set decided that 17" was the shortest the total length could be while maintaining a comfortable needle length. I'm not sure why the Options people chose 24" as the shortest length, because they really could go down a little more if they wanted to. Maybe they didn't realize how much people like 16" circs.

Anyway, I was also concerned about the lack of 16" Options, but I've found that since the cords are so flexible, doing magic loop (or two circs) is not a big issue at all. Magic loop on Denises, OTOH, can be a bit fiddly.

Jan in CA
11-24-2006, 04:29 PM
I've done magic loop and two circs before, but it requires moving the yarn around and is slower. I "think" what I might do is just add to my needles with 16 in Addis if they have them in the large needles sizes (6,7,8,9) since those are what I use for hats most often. :thinking:

Ingrid if you are reading this...are that size Addis actually 16 in?

ecb
11-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Addis come in even smaller
I have a set that are just over 10"
making legwarmers with them
I prefer smaller needle tip and shorter chords
but am learning how to make due with magic loop

ecb

KellyK
11-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Maybe if enough of us email KPs, they will consider something closer to 16". Ill start now!