PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Monarch or Lacewing sock yarn?

jamiejeans
11-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Monarch or Lacewing sock yarn? (http://www.angoravalley.com) I'm trying to justify purchasing some even though I've got a beefy sock yarn stash already. Someone please tell me that its the best, most soft, durable sock yarn ever?? Or should I spend my money on some other sock yarn?

BTW, speaking of sock yarn... my husband is very fiber particular...he wants me to knit a pair of warm socks that have a wicking fiber. Also, they must be soft. I am clueless as to what type of yarn might fit the bill.

Thanks!!

janelanespaintbrush
11-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Wool is known for it's wicking qualities. It can absorb up to 30% of its weight without feeling wet.

jamiejeans
11-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Ya, I keep telling him wool would be good but he doesn't seem to agree. But jokes on him because several of his store bought work socks are WOOL. Hmmm... :shrug: Well, I think I will just tell him the socks are "wicking" and give him some nice merino wool. What do ya think?

Mama Bear
11-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Monarch is my favorite sock yarn of those I have tried (I have used Koigu, Lorna's Laces, Patons Kroy, several Regia yarns, Cherry Tree Hill, Socks that Rock, Cascade fixation, and probably some I have forgotten). It's similar to Socks That Rock.

It's also my husband's favorite of all the yarns I have made him socks from. I did use the ultimate refootable sock pattern from Socks, Socks, Socks for his so that I could easily replace the sole of the sock if needed.

I throw them in the washer and dryer and they come out with a lovely softness to them. I can't say on wear, because I only made his pair of them about 6 months ago. So far they still look new and he wears them a fair amount. I knit them on a size 1.5 addi natura so that they are firm and will hopefully wear well.

I can't wear wool for the most part, but I can wear this sock yarn... it's merino and not at all itchy.

If you want to see some of this yarn knit up, I have a couple pair on my blog (http://www.beartoes.com) (if you look on the right of my blog there is a 'catagories' and if you click on socks you can find them fairly easily).

My daughter also has a couple of pair from the monarch yarn on her blog (http://www.pinkdandelion.com).

Mama Bear

jamiejeans
11-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks you so much Mama Bear! They look lovely! I must buy this stuff now...

BTW, 8 inches of snow? Pretty pictures but I can't deal with snow just yet!

Mama Bear
11-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Jamie,

I hope you like the yarn!

8" is just a start for us. We live in the mountains and average around 5' of snow a year. Luckily, we love snow! Heavy snow years, my kids have been known to easter egg hunt in snowshoes :teehee:

Mama Bear

jamiejeans
11-25-2006, 01:28 PM
I just bought Monarch in the Hott colorway. Can't wait to get it!

jamiejeans
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
OMG!!!! I :heart: :heart: :heart: the Monarch sock yarn. I just got it yesterday (in colorway Hott) and it is luscious! So soft! :inlove: I can't wait to get started with it.

Now if the person I ordered my dpns from on eBay would hurry up and send them I'd be in heaven!

Mama Bear
12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Ooohh.... so glad it arrived and you like it!

Just a warning... it gets even SOFTER when washed! She does say to wash what you make in cold the first time, and mine do bleed a little at first. After that I just toss them in the washer and dryer!

Can't wait to see what you make from your yarn!

Mama Bear