PDA

View Full Version : Odessa hat questions

cookworm
11-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I am very confused with the beads for the "Odessa" (http://www.magknits.com/feb06/patterns/odessa.htm)" hat. :?? Everything I've seen upon doing research on line suggests to me that this is a seed bead type shaped bead, but is very large, like the size of a "pony bead" (http://www.pionusparrot.com/photogallery/ToyPartPonyBeadCompare.jpg). But when I've looked at completed projects, the beads look pretty small; dainty, and not chunky like a "pony bead". I haven't seen Rowan Cashsoft DK in person to give me a better idea about how thin/thick this yarn is, so that further confuses me about which beads to use. I know nothing about beads. What is a "size 6" bead? Virtuella, if you read this post, I know you made this hat, and your hat that you posted is beautiful. Can you give me some direction on the beads? Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks everybody! :muah:
(I have to make this hat for my friend--she is from Odessa! :cheering: )

Julie
11-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I haven't knit Odessa but I have this tutorial (http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/08/by-special-request-beading-made-easy.html) bookmarked for when I do. It's about beading without having to thread the beads on beforehand -- extremely attractive to me :D -- but she also talks about what size beads work best on what yarn weights.

sfavereau
11-25-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm not a beader either, but I did complete a beading project recently with size 6 beads so I know what they are.

If you go to a beading shop, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc, in their beading section, they will have beads in a multitude of colors in little plastic tubes. One of these sizes will be size 6. It'll say "size 6/0" on the label. Those are the ones you want. Make sure also get a beading needle, because size 6 beads can be tedious to thread onto yarn.

knit-errant
11-25-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm not a beader either, but I did complete a beading project recently with size 6 beads so I know what they are.

If you go to a beading shop, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc, in their beading section, they will have beads in a multitude of colors in little plastic tubes. One of these sizes will be size 6. It'll say "size 6/0" on the label. Those are the ones you want. Make sure also get a beading needle, because size 6 beads can be tedious to thread onto yarn.

Yep, size 6 beads are readily available at Hobby Lobby/Michael's/Joann's. They'll be medium-sized seed beads (the largest are 1/0 and the smallest are 11/0, if I remember correctly); size 6/0's are about about 4.0 - 4.2mm wide, and the holes are usually around 1.2 to 1.4mm

I second sfavereau -- pick up a beading needle. I work with beads and jewelry alot and I hate (hatehatehate) working with seed beads.

cookworm
11-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm so glad these are available at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. I just got back from a trip to a LYS that also carries beads so now I know what I'm looking for. Thanks everybody!!! :muah:

By the way Julie, that tutorial is GREAT--thanks!!!!!!