PDA

View Full Version : Is this Useless yarn?

vaknitter
11-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this....if I should post somewhere else please let me know.

I bought some yarn based on a picture and the following description, hand spun alpaca blend to knit on size 3-6 needles. I bought 2 hanks (they mailed me 6) but it is HORRIBLE. As far as I can tell it is a thin strand of alpaca with 2 other random (possible acrylic or rayon) threads with it - the 3 strands are not spun together - it's just all wrapped into a hank and gets all tangled and looks horrible as I try to use it. Luckily I didn't pay much for it so no huge loss, but I have 6 hanks - each supposedly 120 yards.

Is it possible to pull out the alpaca strands and combine them to make one yarn I can knit with? How big a job would this be? I can knit, but have not gotten into spinning my own yarn.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

knitqueen
11-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Gee, I don't know but that's is REALLY too bad. Was it from ebay? I'm wondering if you could contact the seller and see if it could be returned if it is just NOT what was described?

mintdee
11-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Is there anyway that you could get pics of it to give us a better idea? It might be possible to seperate the strands but you will need to have the patience of a saint. :shrug:

snowbear
11-26-2006, 12:22 AM
what about putting it on a skein, and have a ball winder & a friend help... the alpaca could go on the ball winder, and your friend could wind into a ball... I know I know... I just hate throwing anything away...

vaknitter
11-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera so cannot provide you with a picture. The 3 strands are not spun into one yarn, when trying to knit with it it appears as though I am just knitting by holding 3 different yarns together. The ball winder is a great idea ! I will have to see if I can work that out. Hate to take it to my LYS and admit I didn't buy something from them. I only did it b/c I was desperate for something to knit with over Thanksgiving and LYS has crazy hours and I can only get there 1x/month.

If I get it to work anyone need some misc rayon/acrylic thread?

Thank you for your help

KellyK
11-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Some of Suss' yarns are spun that way on purpose... Take a look at their "Fantasy" yarn, for instance.... :shrug: