PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for new knitter

Jivewhistle
11-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone! I know it's been forever since I've been on here but I've still been knitting. It's a little hard between work and school but eventually my current scarf will be done!

My mom wants me to teach her how to knit and has requested knitting things for Christmas. I'm going to buy her Amy's cd but I'd like to get some ideas of what else to include. I'd like to get a her a basics book, maybe The Knitter's Bible? I'll throw in a couple pairs of needles and some yarn too. Any other ideas of how to put this together? I was also thinking about putting a binder together of my favorite free patterns. Thanks!

Susan

blueeyes28
11-26-2006, 05:13 PM
That will be the best present ever I would have loved something like that when I was first starting out!! :heart:

HamburgKnitter
11-26-2006, 05:25 PM
As a new knitter, I enjoy learning about and buying all the little odds and ends that make knitting easier: stictch markers, row counter, etc. So if you want to go all out, add these to the list of things you are already planning on and pack it all in a (hand-knitted!) xmas stocking!

janelanespaintbrush
11-26-2006, 05:31 PM
I'd actually not bother to get a book right away, because IMO, Amy's videos are much easier to follow, and a book could be confusing if not intimidating if that's the first thing she looks at (at least it was for me!). The smartest investment I made as a newbie was a set of inchangeable needles. I think that and couple skeins of yarn would be great -- in addition to a copy of Amy's CD (which you already mentioned) if she can't access the videos online. You could also include those "coupons" we all made for our parents in elementary school -- you know the ones that they could "redeem" for chores and such -- except make them for knitting lessons. Too cutesy?

:figureditout: I just thought of something -- Amy if you're out there -- have you thought about putting together little knitting starter kits for your new store? I'd bet they'd sell like hotcakes, especially for Christmas!

ETA: The KH site disc is a CD, not a DVD. I have corrected my post above. :oops:

knit-errant
11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
So if you want to go all out, add these to the list of things you are already planning on and pack it all in a (hand-knitted!) xmas stocking!

I like the xmas stocking idea!

I was thinking about a similar gift pack for my husband's grandmother. Right before we went to leave after visiting her last, she mentioned that she'd like to learn to crochet.

I was thinking about picking up a learn to crochet book, some nice looking wood hooks (wait, maybe not wood -- she has a really chew-happy dog), and some sort of nice, soft worsted yarn. Some handmade stitchmarkers too, probably -- I have 10 billion nice beads I need to use up.

Then I bet she'd regret giving me a all of her old knitting stuff, heh! :rofl:

psammeadred
11-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Give new knitters a bit of nice wool or alpaca, and they'll never want to use Red Heart! :twisted:

I'd get them some nice yarn, maybe some pretty stitch markers (although loops of yarn will work great as well), and several sizes of needles. Circulars are good; I had a hard time with straight needles at first. A "kit" to make a scarf, potholder, etc. with all necessary equipment would get her started.

Liliyarn
11-26-2006, 09:06 PM
DH who has limited knowledge of knitting got me knitty gifts for my birthday. He bought me a knitting bag, in it were needle guage, stitch makers, tape measure, needle case, row counter, point protectors, and notions like that. I still have them years later and love to use them. I suppose if he knew more about knitting he'd get me a kit. Some yarn and everything I need to make something.

Auntie-Em
11-26-2006, 09:54 PM
What a wonderful Christmas present! :heart:

I totally agree with the prior post that Amy's DVD is the ultimate reference source! I refer to the books I've listed below, but typically end up back on this website. I started seriously knitting last year and give all the credit to the awesome videos on this website.

Go with a good wool yarn -- it makes all the difference in the ease of knitting and the results -- a light color is easier to see. Right now I'm knitting with Galway by Plymouth and love it.

On the needle front, I would recommend bamboo needles (9") so the yarn doesn't slide all over the place. If she plans to learn Continental, I would recommend circular needles. I like the feel and the cable on Skacel Natura.

The silk bags Amy has in her store look nice too for knitting on the go. I take my knitting everywhere. If I'm really into what I'm knitting (and it's simple), I'll even knit at stoplights.

Suggested Books:
Good Basic Book:
Teach Yourself VISUALLY Knitting (Teach Yourself Visually) by Sharon Turner
Good Reference Book (to questions I didn't even think to ask!):
The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask by Margaret Radcliffe

Sissy
11-27-2006, 09:09 AM
I would but her the Knitting for Dummies bbok.Its perfect for a new knitter and easy to understand. :muah:

losnana
11-27-2006, 09:41 AM
I just thought of something -- Amy if you're out there -- have you thought about putting together little knitting starter kits for your new store? I'd bet they'd sell like hotcakes, especially for Christmas!

What a great idea! I just spent several hours searching for the best kit for my DGD, who is 7 and learning to knit. It wasn't that there were so many choices; it was that there were only 3, none of which thrilled me. If I were ordering from Amy's store, there would have been no question.

knitwitnc
11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Yep, I would favor a gift-basket of the odds and ends that make knitting easier -- a couple of pairs of good scissors, retractable measuring tape, needle caps, crochet hook for fringe, etc. Except I'd pack it all in a nice new work bag or work basket. For new knitters with few projects, I favor the tapestry/brocade bags with little wooden handles and hinged stand-up feet like a TV tray table.