PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend an online knitting store?

knitternewbie
11-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Just looking for some basic supplies. Thanks!!

janelanespaintbrush
11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Browsing through some of the stores you see advertised here on KH may be a good place to start shopping -- they all have good reputations, and clicking through from here helps support the site. What types of supplies are you looking for?

knitternewbie
11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, I'm trying to find plain old markers (for now). All of the ones on EBay are really fancy and don't come with very many. I know there are plain ones out there, I just can't seem to find them...

I'll check out the ads on here- thanks!

janelanespaintbrush
11-26-2006, 09:46 PM
You know, I have a couple different kinds of the Clover plastic ones (the split ring and the closing type -- got one set from knitpicks and another off ebay as part of a kit), but I've found that I prefer plain ol' yarn! I just make little noose-like thingies with slip knots. Doesn't fly off the needles when I'm trying to transfer them (that's happened to me more times than I'd like to admit), and I don't worry too much if I lose any, because it's easy to make more. :teehee:

knitternewbie
11-26-2006, 09:51 PM
That's a great idea- I'll have to try that. That's what I was thinking of originally- the plastic ones.

Thank you for the idea!

janelanespaintbrush
11-26-2006, 10:04 PM
NP. If you do a little searching, you can find more stitch marker alternatives in past forum discussions, but the yarn thing is quite popular, and very easy to do. Oh yeah. Using a contrasting color of yarn helps make it more visible against your work when you're knitting -- I forgot to mention that before.

If you ever need a row counter, here (http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/2006/04/i-make-my-own-row-counters_28.html) are some great instructions on how to make those out of yarn too. :thumbsup: (I prefer those to my Clover counter, which I could never remember to advance.)

knitternewbie
11-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Ooh, that's a great idea! Thanks again!

I'll have to sift through the old forum questions when I have extra time.

psammeadred
11-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Just a word of caution - if you use the coil-type plastic stitch markers, DON'T leave them in your car. They'll melt and uncoil if they get warm. I would definitely go with the contrasting loops; even safety pins have worked great for me.

Calamintha
11-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Knitpicks has a good supply of accessories. I just saw in their catalog they have ring stitch markers that are a hundred for $1.99 I think. For yarn I buy from a variety of different online stores depending on what I am looking for. So far I haven't found one store that has everything I need.

janelanespaintbrush
11-27-2006, 01:45 PM
I can't believe I forgot to mention Amy's new store as a place to shop for knitting stuff! :doh: See "store" tab above!