PDA

View Full Version : OT -- We have Chicken Pox at our house

zkimom
11-27-2006, 08:05 AM
:doh:

Well, dd has them. She's 8 and handling it very well. I am actually amazed that she is in such good spirits. Oy, you should see how she looks! Low grade fever but even at this early hour she's up and talking my ear off.

She is walking around with a tube of Aloe Vera gel and dabbing that on her spots when they itch and she isn't scratching hardly at all.

Now the wait for my older one to get it.

Of course to make this more fun, dh is out of town for the week and my SIL who is the only other family around, hasn't had it yet. There goes all our afterschool activities for this week :pout:

Any advice?

Thanks!
Susan

nonny2t
11-27-2006, 09:10 AM
It is tough on adults so if you can keep SIL away I surely would. Just let nature takes its course. I am including a link with great info on the disease for kids. Kids that are really itchy sometimes find relief with oatmeal bathes and using oatmeal soap. The main problem with itching is of course, scarring. This article covers everything you want to know so I hope it helps! Hang in there, it goes away.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/chicken_pox.html

gimmesanity
11-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Ugh, that sucks! My younger brother got the chicken pox when he was 17. It was really bad. He had them in his nostrils and on his you-know-what. poor guy. I remember that my mom would take oatmeal and run it through the coffee grinder to make it into a powder. She would sprinkle the powdered oatmeal on his sheets to help with the itching. Soaking in an oatmeal bath helped him lots, too.

hope it's over soon,
- Sharon

GennyLynn1962
11-27-2006, 11:01 AM
I've been through that 4 times with my kids.

Besides oatmeal baths, try to give them something to do that is out of the ordinary so it keeps their minds off of the itching. If you are worried about scratching and leaving scars (this sounds kinda babyish but..) put gloves on them to help them remember not to scratch.

Good luck.

SandraEllen
11-27-2006, 11:16 AM
My mom gave us baths with powered laundry detergent (like Tide) and she swore that it dried everything up quickly.

Of course, I don't remember it because i was in 2nd grade...

knitqueen
11-27-2006, 11:18 AM
We went through that about 1.5 years ago with both boys, aged 3 and 1. They did AMAZINGLY well. The younger had it first and not too bad, then my older boy got it much much worse but he was such a trooper. He did awesome. Hope it goes the same for you. The worst part for us was the waiting. We knew that they had been exposed, so waiting for it to break out in the first place, and then my older son didn't get it until a full 2 weeks later so that really sucked. We were really feeling housebound by then.

brendajos
11-27-2006, 11:28 AM
The only suggestion I have is to stay over there! I haven't had it and don't want it!!!! When I was a nanny that was always one of my first questions when I interviewed families "have the kids had chicken pox?" I wouldn't take the job, no matter how good it seemed, if they hadn't. :fingerwag:

CarmenIbanez
11-27-2006, 12:32 PM
A POX on your house? :teehee:

Sorry, couldn't resist. My son had it at least twice. As did my husband. You know, the one where you only get it once? Uh, okay. Apparently the strain they got wasn't a strong enough strain to help the bod build resistance.

Check online because the window of contagion is pretty specific, but people who have already had it, and won't get sick from it (like you) can still carry it around. So if you work, or volunteer anywhere, you might want to let all of them know as well.

Hope everyone feels better :hug:

Sara
11-27-2006, 01:31 PM
We don't have chicken pox, but the 6yo and 17yo are both sick and DH is out of town.

You have my sympathies! :hug:

Jan in CA
11-27-2006, 01:32 PM
When my nephew had it I put Aveeno Anti Itch Lotion (http://www.aveeno.com/detailAction.do?id=3690) on him and it seemed to work very well.

I think on my own kids which was a lot longer ago I used Calamine with mixed results.

janelanespaintbrush
11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
My son had it at least twice. As did my husband. You know, the one where you only get it once?

It can come back as shingles, especially in seniors. My grandma had it -- doctor said it was reactivated by stress.

amy
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Oh no, poor DD! All I can recommend is to use Vit. E on scabby ones to reduce scarring, and, keep them distracted, like Genny said.

stitchwitch
11-27-2006, 04:56 PM
My son had it at least twice. As did my husband. You know, the one where you only get it once?

It can come back as shingles, especially in seniors. My grandma had it -- doctor said it was reactivated by stress.

I had a wimpy case of chicken pox, only a few on my belly when I was in the third grade. The virus was dormant and came back 20 years later with a vengeance as shingles. I swear I thought I was going to die. I still have the scars and reoccurring pain and it's been a few years.

ctmax
11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
I remember when I had them my neighbor was my best friend at the time and she had got me a my little pony and I was so happy my mom said I stoped scratching and started play with the pony. All 3 of my boys got the chicken pox shot with there imunizations and so supposedly they will not be getting the chicken pox.

ebrperk
11-27-2006, 07:39 PM
We don't have the chicken pox but we do have some kind of vomiting with diarrhea bug going on around here. I hope that they get well soon and your patience holds out.

zkimom
11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all your well wishes! My dd is still in good spirits and I am surprised that she is handling this so well. Tonight she is feeling the itch more so we are trying a baking soda bath.

Tomorrow we see the pediatrician so they can confirm(?) it is really the pox and put it in her chart.

I'm just not looking forward to my ds getting it too.

My sympathies to all the rest of you with sick babies and out of town spouses.

Here's to getting over it all before Christmas :pray:

Susan

ecb
11-28-2006, 12:42 AM
ebr Perk
we have that too
one has one
one has the other
BOTH have headaches
Neither wants to miss school

its hard

ecb

ScandaKnitvian
11-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Five years ago my kids got chicken pox from a neighbor girl. Popsicles were great treats for them...although it was summer....but you might find something your dd likes as a special treat. Ice cream?

They normally break out for three days and then scab over for three days. After that they're usually not contagious, though it takes a while for the scabs to clear up.

Oatmeal baths helped my kids a lot. Hang in there! Only a few more days and it will be over. The first three days are the worst.

hunterjenn
11-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Oh, gosh, we just had it two weeks ago! My husband had shingles, and my 3yo twins got the pox from him--even though they'd had the shot!! Our pediatrician recommended **CHILDREN'S BENADRYL**--regular dose during the day, and double at nite--and it totally kept them from scratching. Good luck!

hunterjenn
11-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh! And the pediatrician said Calamine lotion to dry them out more quickly. However, they were over them so fast that we didn't end up bothering with that. I think the vaccine did help some--they got over it really quickly.

hunterjenn
11-29-2006, 07:27 PM
:teehee: Pbllll--I double-posted. Oops!

zkimom
11-29-2006, 09:47 PM
It seems we are winding down our first bout of the pox :happydance:

Now the wait for the next victim :passedout:

Best,
Susan

melissa.atkins
11-30-2006, 12:12 AM
I am sorry your kids are sick with Chicken Pox... I remember my two sisters and I had it at the same time too, they did send me to my grandma's as soon as my oldest sister had it but it was too late, I ended up giving it to my aunt(who was probably around 30, she suffered so much!!) and being sent back home right the way... :(

I remember they cut my hair really short so it wouldn't itch my neck, they also kept my nails trimmed all the time made me wear gloves all the time so I wouldnt scratch... I still managed to leave one little scar on my forehead though. :doh:

Few years later we all got rubella... by that time we were teenagers and my mom who had never had it got it too... all of us but my dad were at home for 45 days so we wouldn't spread it!!!

I hope everyone starts feeling better!!! :waving: