PDA

View Full Version : OT - Christmas gift for someone you don't know very well

cookworm
11-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Help! My brother-in-law is dating a woman and since we live out of town, we just got to meet her recently. We don't know her at all, really, and with Christmas coming, we need to try to figure out a gift for her. I would like to buy her something nice but not spend a ton of money because (not to sound cheap or mean) I'm not sure how serious this relationship is.

Any suggestions for a nice meaningful gift that isn't too expensive? Also, she's 28. What do 28 year olds like these days? :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
11-27-2006, 12:48 PM
You could make her a little ipod cozy.

Stiney
11-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Lotion or candles, or if you want something a bit nicer, a gift basket from a lotion or candle store. Lotion can be iffy if she's allergic to scents (I always get all my mom's lotion. :happydance: )

Or a pretty scarf that's mainstream--from a common store, so that she can return it on the sly if she doesn't like it. (Same with the lotions and candles.) And gift receipts are always good for people you don't know that well. I wouldn't knit a scarf because if she doesn't like it, she's stuck with it, and you spent all that time on something she doesn't like.

Good luck!

jberry16
11-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm 23 and would vote for candles or lotions or , oo you could get her a gift card to a local spa? Most places will give you a gift receipt, esp if you ask for it.
Maybe a nice house plant or a picture frame she could put his pic in for work or whatever.

jodstr2
11-27-2006, 01:45 PM
I vote for a gift card. I love gift cards. :heart:

Stiney
11-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I vote for a gift card. I love gift cards. :heart:

Me, too, but then you have the whole, "Where does she like to shop?" thing, unless you go for something really useful (but then less "nice.")

jodstr2
11-27-2006, 01:53 PM
true. I was just thinking the same thing. maybe cookworm can ask her brother-in-law where she likes to shop? :shrug:

CarmenIbanez
11-27-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure how serious this relationship is.

I think you ought to buy her a few books. "Planning the perfect wedding in 10 days or less" and "Raising perfect children". Then you'd find out how serious the relationship is.....

:teehee:

nonny2t
11-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I would go with a Visa gift card. She can spend that pretty much anywhere and buy what she wants. I was going to agree with the others and say candles also, but if she is like my dd, who has allergies, scents of any kind start her sneezing. You can get the gift cards usually at your center court of your mall or almost all banks handle them. Check with your own bank, you may be able to get one for free. My bank charges $2 for up to $500 I think it is. She will love being able to pick out exactly what she wants, or add it to what she is saving for. It is the only thing my dh ever wants for Christmas.

janelanespaintbrush
11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
The gift card idea seems to be very popular. She said she didn't want to spend much, though, which makes me wonder whether it would be worthwhile if the amount is small. I'm still going to lobby for the ipod cozy idea (doesn't necessarily have to be used that way) because it'd cost next to nothing if she used stash or leftover yarn -- and the time it would take her to knit it would probably be less than driving to the store to buy something. Plus, it's personal and hand-made. JMO.

candicane
11-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Will you be seeing this woman in person at Christmas? Not to sound like the Grinch, but is a gift really necessary? I would talk to your BIL and get his opinion. Sometimes I need a reality check as to who I "need" to give gifts to.

candice

janelanespaintbrush
11-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh, I thought of another one. A small box of truffles (the candy; not the fungi), is almost always well-received. There are very few people who don't like chocolate. You can check with BIL to make sure she's not one of those poor, unfortunate souls who's allergic.

HamburgKnitter
11-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Chocolate is always good. :heart:

Can you ask your brother a few questions about her likes and dislikes? That's what I would do.

Stiney
11-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Oh, I thought of another one. A small box of truffles (the candy; not the fungi), is almost always well-received. There are very few people who don't like chocolate. You can check with BIL to make sure she's not one of those poor, unfortunate souls who's allergic.

And if you don't give it to her, you have chocolate for yourself. :thumbsup:

cookworm
11-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Will you be seeing this woman in person at Christmas? Not to sound like the Grinch, but is a gift really necessary? I would talk to your BIL and get his opinion. Sometimes I need a reality check as to who I "need" to give gifts to.candice

Candi--you ask a very legitimate question which isn't "grinchy" :teehee: . I do believe we will probably see her at Christmas, so I wanted to be prepared with something thoughtful yet relatively inexpensive, and not too personal because I didn't want her to get offended or scared off if we were too personal. I didn't want to knit anything really major because she may not like it (I don't know what her favorite color(s) is/are, or what her taste is) and I didn't want to go through the time and trouble of knitting something if she wouldn't like or appreciate it. Some people just don't like handmade gifts (I'm not one of them--I LOVE handmade gifts!!!) and don't appreciate the time and work it takes to make something handmade.

These are all really great ideas, and I appreciate all of your responses.

At this point, based on the responses, some bath/body products with some candles, maybe topped off with a small box of chocolates might be a nice gift I think. We have a nice chocolate factory here nearby where I live that has awesome chocolates; maybe that would make it a little bit more fancy-schmancy? Plus, I can pick up something for me too while I'm there! ha ha ha :twisted: :drool: She's a single mom so I think it might be nice to get something a little bit pampering for her. Thanks everybody! :hug:

I think you ought to buy her a few books. "Planning the perfect wedding in 10 days or less" and "Raising perfect children". Then you'd find out how serious the relationship is.....
Carmen, that's very bad! :teehee: They haven't been dating very long at all, only a couple of months, but things seem kind of serious. I just didn't want to get anything too major because I didn't want to assume that they were more involved than they really are, and then I'd either wind up embarrasing her or embarrasing myself by my assumptions.

lissalue
11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
not to add on more for you to buy, but you said she is a single mom, will her child/children be coming also? if so, have you gotten them something? you wouldn't want them to feel left out, especially at christmas. I have a stepsister who is always dating someone new so we always keep a few gifts around in case the person has kids and they show up so they asre included also. just a thought.

cookworm
11-27-2006, 10:18 PM
not to add on more for you to buy, but you said she is a single mom, will her child/children be coming also? if so, have you gotten them something?

Lisa, I'm sure her daughter will be coming too, but she's be easy to buy for because she's pretty little...I kind of had some ideas already in mind for her but was unsure of what to buy for her mom.

psammeadred
11-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Another versatile gift is a nice teacup with an assortment of teas, coffees, or hot chocolate mixes.

SandraEllen
11-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Hmm... not to be a downer on everyone else's ideas, but I have enough smelly lotion to last a lifetime.

Do you know if she drinks coffee? You could always get her an electric grinder and some yummy coffee beans.

janelanespaintbrush
11-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Hmm... not to be a downer on everyone else's ideas, but I have enough smelly lotion to last a lifetime.

Do you know if she drinks coffee? You could always get her an electric grinder and some yummy coffee beans.

Warning: if she's a serious coffee drinker, a grinder might not be a good idea -- true coffee geeks use mills. If she happens to be an espresso afficianado, an "acceptable" electric coffee mill will start at close to $300, though a decent manual one can be gotten for under $70. I'd stay away from coffee for that reason. It's something that some people take very seriously. Anyway, if she's a coffee geek, she'll already have the gear, and will have her favorite beans, if she doesn't roast them herself.

I was thinking the same thing about the lotion, but didn't know whether I was typical or not.

miccisue
11-28-2006, 09:56 AM
OK, maybe I'm goofy, but does she enjoy music? What about a CD of Christmas music? It may not get much use this year, but I have a collection that I dig out every year and listen to while doing my Christmas baking, decorating, knitting, etc. :D It could be something she could get pleasure out of for a long time. :wink:

Or, you could get her a CD by her favorite artist..... :shrug:

Mama Bear
11-28-2006, 01:36 PM
I like the chocolate idea even though I can't eat chocolate :verysad:

I also like psammeadred idea of the teas. That was going to be my suggestion. National Wildlife store (http://nationalwildlife.stores.yahoo.net/50percent.html) has some nice sets of the BIG mugs $4.97 for a set of 4 + $4.99 shipping. I bought a few sets because I figured I could put 2 mugs and some tea and have several nice gifts handy for those unexpected oops I forgot to get gifts or for the mailman or other service people who I want to say an extra thanks to. They still had ones with wildflowers, seashells, or pinecones on them last I checked (most of the others are sold out).

Like Jane and others, I have my share of lotions and candles since it seems to be what everyone gives for housewarming gifts or when they don't know what else to give. I don't think I'll ever run out.

Mama Bear

cookworm
11-28-2006, 11:15 PM
OK, maybe I'm goofy, but does she enjoy music? What about a CD of Christmas music? It may not get much use this year, but I have a collection that I dig out every year and listen to while doing my Christmas baking, decorating, knitting, etc. :D It could be something she could get pleasure out of for a long time. :wink:

Actually, this is a great idea for me! :teehee: I need a Christmas CD for stuff like baking, decorating, and knitting to. I don't have anything really upbeat with traditional Christmas songs; a couple of very nice CD's with liturgical hymns on them which are very beautiful, but stuff that I miss from my childhood that my dad would play (he'd start playing Christmas music in October!)

I also like psammeadred idea of the teas. That was going to be my suggestion. National Wildlife store has some nice sets of the BIG mugs $4.97 for a set of 4 + $4.99 shipping.

This is a great idea, Mama Bear! Maybe this would be a nice idea, too. I did this for my kids' teachers one year--I got "Paul Bunyan" size mugs at the dollar store one year, stuffed them with fancy teas and honey sticks, and included some homemade cookies. These are only $5 for a set??? That is great, and they're so pretty (it would look like I spent way more than I did)!!! Thanks everybody!!!
:hug:

Stiney
11-28-2006, 11:22 PM
I just picked up a cute gift for coworkers at Joann's.

It's a tin with hot cocoa, and then a bottle with marshmallows and peppermit, or marshmallows and chocolate chips on top. And it comes with a cute little whisk, too.

cookworm
11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
I just picked up a cute gift for coworkers at Joann's.

It's a tin with hot cocoa, and then a bottle with marshmallows and peppermit, or marshmallows and chocolate chips on top. And it comes with a cute little whisk, too.

Mmmm...that sounds like a "twofer"--you know, you buy a gift for somebody, but it's too good to pass it up for yourself, too! :teehee: The sales this time of the year are unbeatable; it's hard not to buy a few things here or there that aren't actually gifts, you know? I had to go to Joann's anyway so maybe I'll check this out when I go--thanks!

Stiney
11-28-2006, 11:55 PM
They were 50% off, too! :cheering:

And I bought four. :oops: