PDA

View Full Version : OT - Horror Movies

mwedzi
11-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I really like a good horror movie. Not so much the slasher kind, but I do love ghosts and monsters. Nothing too real; I can just watch the news for that kind of horror. I've seen so many asian horror movies I'm beginning to find myself afraid of all long black hair.

And I'm always on the lookout for a good movie to creep me out. So, anyone have any good recommendations?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Stir of Echos

Session 9

GennyLynn1962
11-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I love them too.

Nothing new comes to mind at the moment but, have you seen Rose Red?

brendajos
11-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I love them too.

Nothing new comes to mind at the moment but, have you seen Rose Red?

i actually bought rose red when it came out on DVD and read the book. It's just too bad that the second half of the movie wasn't as good as the first. Still good but not great.

itsazoo
11-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Oooh, I love scary movies!

There's The Shining - a classic.

Identity was good -John Cusack was in it.

Saw messed me up for a few days but is a bit on the bloody side but very mental too.

The Other scared the crap out of me when I was a kid and I watched it again this year and still pretty creepy.

In Dreams- Annette Bening pretty good.

Haunted- Adian Quinn, I love Adian Quinn.

I'll stop now. I'm getting chills :oops: .

susanc
11-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah, In Dreams was freaky! I love Asian horror movies. I just taped "Ju On" which was the original ~ the American one was "The Grudge" which was pretty good, actually. It seems like when we remake them most of the time they're crap. This one was pretty good. "The Ring" was good. It, too, was a remake of a Japanese movie! "The Ring Two" wasn't as good as the first, which seems typical. "The Eye" was good.

psammeadred
11-27-2006, 11:45 PM
If you like old movies, Wait Until Dark (starring Audrey Hepburn) and Gaslight (Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman) are really good psychological thrillers. Rope is a good one, too - can't beat Jimmy Stewart.

mwedzi
11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Sweet, I'ma go put some of these in my queue. I've seen about half of them, but not the other half.

The Eye (the first, not the second) is one of my favorite horror movies. That elevator scene is nice and long and drawn out, the way a scary scene should be.

As for The Ring, I had the Japanese version (on crappy VCD from China) before the American one came out, and I have the Korean version, too. The Korean version (Ring Virus) isn't as good as either the American or Japanese one, IMO.

Just watched Ju-on 2. Every Japanese movie I've ever seen has confused me. Speaking of which, I also liked one called, what was it?, One Missed Call or something like that.

I can't watch stuff like Saw. Me and torture don't get along real well.

So, about The Shining, what was up with the guy in the bear suit?

brendajos
11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't know...I fall asleep watching the shining every time, and it is always about the time the scary twins show up... Kind of freaks me out actually.

brendajos
11-28-2006, 11:11 AM
oh you could check this (http://horrorfestonline.com/) out to see if it is in your area yet. They were out a couple of weeks ago here. Apparently they are so bad they can't be seen in general viewings (though they did show them at the local AMC so not sure what that's about.)

The times weren't convenient for me so I didn't get to see them so no recommendations. :shrug:

susanc
11-28-2006, 11:43 AM
As for the guy in the bear suit ~ I don't know! Stephen King has a very warped mind!

"The Eye 2" was pretty good too. It's a little more disturbing because it deals with a woman who wants to commit suicide, but overall I liked it too. "Hellraiser" was a little warped ~ I just saw it during AMC's Halloween movie week. I taped the next one, "Hellbound - Hellraiser II" but I haven't watched it yet.

Chel
11-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I like the Changeling. Its an old, early 80's flick with George C Scott in it. It isn't scary, just increasingly creepy. I think I might just go buy that movie this christmas.

Sara
11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
"The Haunting" with Julie Harris, NOT the remake with Liam Neeson. The book it was based on is "The Haunting of Hill House".

Does anyone remember a black and white film where a brother and sister rent a home on the English coast where all manner of sinister things happen and the artists studio on the top floor is a menacing place? The mother of the young girl they rent the house from died in the house? This is going to drive me crazy! :wall:

susanc
11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
No, but it sounds vaguely familiar. :?? Maybe someone can come up with the title!

KnittyKitty
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
skeery skeery post - Mommeeeeeeeee!!!!! :teehee:

Does the Mothman Prophecy count? That played with my mind for awhile! :oo:

Stiney
11-28-2006, 02:23 PM
ET, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (original, never saw the one with Johnny Depp), and Alice in Wonderland, the people version with Sammy Davis, Jr. as the caterpillar.

*shudder*

susanc
11-28-2006, 02:28 PM
:roflhard:

Stiney
11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
But I'm serious. :pout:

susanc
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I know! :teehee: I was just thinking of the visual on that one ~ it is pretty frightening! Poor Sammy! :roflhard:

psammeadred
11-29-2006, 12:35 AM
ET, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (original, never saw the one with Johnny Depp), and Alice in Wonderland, the people version with Sammy Davis, Jr. as the caterpillar.

*shudder*

Ditto. Yikes. (but the one with Johnny Depp is well worth seeing, IMHO)

The Mouse and His Child is a very disturbing "kid" film. So is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in some parts. Oh, and the part in Fievel where the cat stabs his own tail with a fork. That part always made me run screaming.

Kaydee
11-29-2006, 12:48 PM
The Butterfly Effect....its not so much scary but freaky in the sense that he finds a way to go back to his childhood and change things, but then they change his present life. One I was scarred from was It....I saw it when I was 8 and over a friend's house and never wanted to go to the circus again. Another one was Strange Land...really scary :noway:

susanc
11-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I've never watched the "Butterfly Effect" because I had heard in a review of it that there was an animal tortue scene. Is that true? That's the reason I don't want to watch it. Is that true? I know it's only a movie, but when animals are mistreated it really disturbs me to the point where it makes me sick to my stomch. :shrug:

itsazoo
11-29-2006, 01:45 PM
I've never watched the "Butterfly Effect" because I had heard in a review of it that there was an animal tortue scene. Is that true? That's the reason I don't want to watch it. Is that true? I know it's only a movie, but when animals are mistreated it really disturbs me to the point where it makes me sick to my stomch.

That's what I've heard and I never saw that movie either. I can't stand when animals are abused :grrr:

I've no clue about the man in the bear suit in The Shining. I thinkit is just Stephen King messing with us.

There is also an older movie called Burnt Offerings that I remember being creepy but I can't remember who is in it.

susanc
11-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I remember that one - it was with Karen Black & Oliver Reed.