PDA

View Full Version : Yarn I ordered is the wrong color!

ScandaKnitvian
11-28-2006, 08:00 AM
I was excited to see a package of yarn in my mailbox yesterday, which I'd ordered from WEBS. It's wonderfully soft....BUT...I ordered three colors for a sweater I want to make, and the MAIN color is not as it appeared on their website. I thought it was a lighter turquoise blue, almost robin's egg, but it's really a dull teal...not an ugly color, but not what I wanted.

I looked again on their web site, and it still appears to me to be very different from the color I ordered. I looked at another of their pages, at the same color # in a fingering weight, and it does look like the yarn I ordered...so it's not JUST my monitor. :::sigh:::

What should I do??? I'm going to call the company today, but just wondered...will they exchange yarn?

Angelia
11-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Likely it's the color setting on your monitor that's making the color appear different than in real life. (Colors on my monitor at home are very different from colors on my monitor at work.) Plus there's the issue of dye lots--there are always variations in them.

You could always call WEBS and tell them what color you were hoping for and try to work something out with them.

janelanespaintbrush
11-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Yeah, that is one of the drawbacks of ordering online that I'm all too familiar with. I don't know about webs, but it seems like a lot of shops have warnings about how the color may not be the same in real life as on your monitor. (It's not just monitors though -- it's hard to get the right color in print too because of dot gain and such.) I hope you can work things out with the webs folks. According to their return policy (http://yarn.com/s/custservice.html#4), it looks like you will be able to get a refund or exchange, though they will probably not credit you for shipping. You never know, though. Some customer service departments are more accommodating than others and they might accept the blame for the color difference.

Friskums
11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
When I ordered a hank of some cascade 220 from theknittingzone.com, it was completely different than the picture showed.

Everybody kept telling me it was because of the monitor thing, but I knew it wasn't. The picture itself was wrong.

So, after exchanging a few emails (they said I could return it and either get a credit or exhange it, but I figured out the cost and it wouldn't have been worth it for me - I'd only end up getting like a buck or two back)

It got to the point where I just wanted her to correct her picture so that other people didn't make the same mistake I did, so I took a picture of the yarn myself and sent it to them, along with their picture on the site.

They realized the picture was wrong, and changed it. (They also gave me a code to enter next time I shop there for a discout)

So, maybe something like that would help. :shrug:

nonny2t
11-28-2006, 11:08 AM
As hard as it is to wait, I guess the best bet for all knitters is to get a sample if they offer it before you spend the money. As a less experienced knitter who purchases yarn per project, not like some of the yarn junkies here :teehee: I can get a yarn home and find it won't work for the project after all or the color when finished even is not what I wanted. I bought an adorable baby yarn recently, but the darn thing is so hard to knit with, I don't believe I am going to use it until I find a project that uses very large needles.

candicane
11-28-2006, 11:32 AM
I would call them an explain the problem. Since they have another yarn in the same colorway that is pictured differently... I think the error is theirs.

Candice

Mama Bear
11-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Yes, if they have the yarn photographed two different ways on their site, do call.

One thing I do when shopping online is to look at the yarn at more than one site if possible.

When I was shopping for Cascade 220 and I had a very specific red I wanted, I looked at the samples on about 5 different sites before I made a choice.

Yarn dex often has the color cards online, and I find that comparing the yarn to the other colors helps me also.

Mama Bear

Jan in CA
11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
It could be a combination of both the photography and your monitor settings. I find it difficult sometimes to get a decent photo of my FOs that show the color properly so that is a problem for these online sites. I guess that is why some of them offer a color card. See what their return policy is.