PDA

View Full Version : Socks from one skein???

trollgirl
11-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I finally ordered some things from knitpicks. Options, and a few skeins of yarn I want to try out. I made my first sock last week and it's so much fun, and I want to make more socks. So I bought several different colours of different yarns, thinking I'd make socks.

However, a few days later, I'm suddenly worried that I can't make a pair of socks out of one skein (220 yards) of fingering (I think) weight yarn. They've already processed my order... am I going to have to make really short socks? I don't really mind if they're short-ish, as long as they cover the ankle. :doh: So am I in trouble? Or are 220 yards enough for a pair?

janelanespaintbrush
11-28-2006, 03:13 PM
As long as your feet aren't too big and you don't use a stitch pattern that eats up a lot of yarn, I think you should be able to make anklets. You can also do the toes and heels in a contrasting yarn.

Mama Bear
11-28-2006, 03:14 PM
You can also add some stripes to the cuff or make the cuff the same color as the heels and toes if you want :)

Mama Bear

trollgirl
11-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Or I could wear mismatched socks. Heh... Oh well. I bought two skeins of Memories, one in Spring Prairie and one in Cape Cod. Intended to make Cape Cod socks for my bf, because they look like a colourway he would like, but oh well... ankle socks are so not for boys. :oops:

Live and learn I suppose.

knitqueen
11-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Here is a pattern (http://www.members.shaw.ca/lisaknits/sockettes.html) that uses one skein for a pair of ankle socks.

Yvonne
11-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Or I could wear mismatched socks. Heh... Oh well. I bought two skeins of Memories, one in Spring Prairie and one in Cape Cod. Intended to make Cape Cod socks for my bf, because they look like a colourway he would like, but oh well... ankle socks are so not for boys. :oops:

Live and learn I suppose.

Well, besides--
Would your BF know to wash those socks by hand? Memories is handwash only. Best to keep those for yourself. :teehee:

midnightskyfibers
11-28-2006, 07:44 PM
You can always do socks with an afterthought heel (and toe if you are really worried). I can almost always get a pair of socks out of under 200 yards, but I have narrow feet.

ebrperk
11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the link for those ankle socks. I love mine to be short like that.