PDA

View Full Version : FO - baby hats

Jan in CA
11-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Baby hats and one larger one. The baby ones were intended for the Caps to the Capitol KAL, but since 3 of them are wool they might not be soft enough. :??

The larger one was a practice for using a slip stitch pattern.

newamy
11-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Those are cute. I like the ones with the little hearts and the diagonal stripes. That slip stitch pattern is also used on a dishcloth pattern. I alway thought it would look good on a hat.

Jeep_Girl
11-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Looks great, Jan!

gardenmommy
11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Great hat assortment! Could you share the pattern for the cable one?

I know there are some charities that require wool for items, I think Afghans for Afghans or the Dulaan Project, since they go where warmth is especially critical, like Afghanistan or Mongolia.

Jan in CA
11-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks!

Okay here's the cable pattern such as it is and disclaimer/notes:

CO 48 stitches and divide evenly over 3 DPNs (16 stitches)
K1P1 for about 1 - 1.5 inches

Pattern - switch to one size larger DPNs
Row 1- [k2, p3, k6, p3, k2] on each needle
Row 2- repeat row 1 on each needle
Row 3- [k2, p3, C6(put 3 stitches on cable needle and hold in front, knit next 3 stitches and then knit stitches off cable needle) p3, k2] on each needle
Row 4- repeat row 1 on each needle
Row 5- repeat row 1 on each needle
Row 6- repeat row 1 on each needle
Row 7- repeat row 1 on each needle
Row 8- repeat row 3 on each needle
Row 9- repeat row 1 on each needle

Continue in this manner until hat measures appx 5 in from CO edge. Now the notes/disclaimer part..I don't have a good plan for the decrease because I've never made a cabled hat before. My method was sorta hit or miss.. I tried decreasing before and after the cable stitches by k2tog, k2. It's not a perfect method though and needs work. I am planning on making another one and I'll post my results on that one if I can do it better. Let me know if you come up with a good way to do it, too.

Another note: This cable ended up being almost a twist, if you want a more traditional cable I think adding another couple rows of row 1 inbetween cabling will do that.

candicane
11-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Those are beautiful!

candice

ae
11-29-2006, 12:50 AM
:heart: 'em!!!!!

Mama Bear
11-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Those are cute! I especially like the swirl pattern in the grey and pink hat!

Mama Bear

Tamar Dohel
11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Great hats! They would take me months to make.

I like the stitch pattern of your pink and blue hat. I recently saw a beautiful scarf on TV that I think was done in this pattern with one multi-colour yarn. The effect was of a reall weave!

Fleurs
11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
They look great :muah: