PDA

View Full Version : Question about casting on.

Lizzi
11-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Hiya. I'm new to knitting, and am attempting a scarf... after my first semi-disasterous attempt (now a bookmark!) I began again...

I cast on 40 stitches, and began my knitting. a few rows in I stopped to count the stitches, thinking I may have picked up a few, and found I've only got 39 now!!

So my question is this - on the first cast off stitch, when there's two loops of thread over the needle - does that count as 1 stitch or 2? I originally counted it as 2, so that could explain my missing stitch. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I might have done??

Lizzi xxx

Jan in CA
11-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Each loop counts as one stitch so if you knit them together you would lose a stitch.

Lizzi
11-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I counted it as 2 stitches and stitched them in the next row as individual stitches, so I guess that leaves me with a missing stitch...

Jan in CA
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
It's easy to do when you first start. Take your time and make sure you aren't dropping stitches or knitting two together. :heart:

Lizzi
11-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks for your help!! I'm still enjoying it, and losing 1 stitch isn't going to make a huge difference to my scarf!! I keep counting after every row now though, just to keep track!