PDA

View Full Version : I can't find a soft yarn for a man's scarf in dark grey/char

Anastasia Beaverhausen
11-29-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm making my dad a scarf for Christmas and love how caron simply soft knits up and it's soft on the skin but they don't have a nice dark charcoal grey. I love the Lion Wool colors but I don't want anything with wool bc I want it to feel soft and luxurious on the skin.

Who makes the best bulky-ish and SUPER soft yarn with great colors that knits perfect scarves and feels like pure luxury around your neck? I'd prefer no wool if possible. Too much to ask for? lol

Also, I don't want to spend more than $8/skein which I know limits it

misstialouise
11-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Try Patons Inca..

It's a wool/alpaca blend and is sooo soft and makes a GREAT scarf :D

janelanespaintbrush
11-29-2006, 04:34 PM
I was going to suggest baby alpaca too, for a non-wool-lover. Though for a scarf, my first choice would probably be a superwash merino (as it is for almost everything :teehee:). It would probably be a bit less expensive than than alpaca -- and you'd be able to machine wash. If you decide to explore the merino route, I've heard good things about knitpicks Swish. They don't have a charcoal per se, but they do have something called coast gray, which I think would probably be quite striking stranded together with black (you'd want to knit two strands together to get a bulky weight anyway). (To get to knitpicks, click through one of the banner ads -- that helps support the site.) Oh, if you do go there, check out the andean treasure (baby alpaca) as well. They have that in a beautiful charcoal heather, and I can vouch for its softness. It's hand wash, though, and DK weight, so you'd need to use several strands, or plan on making a lighter scarf -- alapca is very warm so you wouldn't need a lot of bulk to make a toasty scarf.

Jax3303
11-29-2006, 04:56 PM
go look at knitpicks Panache. it's a baby alpaca, cashmere, silk and merino blend. it is SOOOOO soft and SOOOOOO yummy, and only $4.99 a ball.

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 04:57 PM
I happen to like knitpicks Panache. SUPER soft and quite bulky. Knits up quick. It's $4.99 a ball.

Anastasia Beaverhausen
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Thank you all so much for these suggestions!

Does anyone know if Panache in Coal is black or dark grey? Also, is Dusk a super dark royal or is it bright? Ordering online is so difficult! :)

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 05:07 PM

Does anyone know if Panache in Coal is black or dark grey? Also, is Dusk a super dark royal or is it bright? Ordering online is so difficult! :)

I just used Dusk and I would call it a rich Navy Blue. The Coal is Black.

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 05:08 PM
go look at knitpicks Panache. it's a baby alpaca, cashmere, silk and merino blend. it is SOOOOO soft and SOOOOOO yummy, and only $4.99 a ball.

Great minds, huh?

janelanespaintbrush
I believe coal is black. That's why I didn't suggest panache. I'm not sure about dusk, but someone around here might have a color card.

Jax3303
Coal is black. The Dusk is actually almost exactly what I see on my monitor, but since every monitor is different, you can't really tell that way. It's a medium royal blue, not too dark, but not bright either. I'm not much help here....lol

Anastasia Beaverhausen
11-29-2006, 05:09 PM

Thanks! Hmmm, is it light enough to look good paired with a black coat or is it too navy? I don't like navy and black together, but if it's light navy/almost royal it may work.

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 05:21 PM

Thanks! Hmmm, is it light enough to look good paired with a black coat or is it too navy? I don't like navy and black together, but if it's light navy/almost royal it may work.

I guess it is a matter of opinion, but I would say no.

misstialouise
11-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Here's a colour chart for the Inca...

http://www.angelyarns.com/patons/inca.php

There's a lovely dk grey mix near the bottom..

Yvonne
11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Lion Brand has a good charcoal grey in both their Cashmere Blend and Wool-Ease. Both are quite soft.

miccisue
11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
What about Bernat Softee Chunky? You can go to the Bernat website and see if any of their colors are ones you'd like. There's also Bernat Solo, but it may ba a little thicker than what you want. Still, couldn't hurt to look.

Julie
11-29-2006, 10:38 PM
RYC Cashsoft Aran (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/3201/) comes in a nice heathery gray...it's machine washable too :D

Chel
11-29-2006, 10:41 PM
http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cYarn.viewColorCards&yarn_id=000055&cc_id=000356

The above link is Plymouth Encore's color card. I am making an entrelac scarf for my boss for Christmas from 389 and 520. I think they might be what you are looking for. They each run about $5.00 per ball and one in each color is MORE than enough to do a scarf.

Happy hunting!

Liliyarn
11-30-2006, 03:21 AM
I second or third the panache!! It is the softest KP yarn I've felt yet. I keep petting it. I got the slate color for DH. It knits up quick and has been a dream so far. It's worth the 5 bucks a ball. Alpaca, cashmere, silk, and extra fine merino....very lux. I'm knitting their window pane seaman's scarf with it.