PDA

View Full Version : For "curvy" gals, what patterns/books work best?

hunterjenn
11-29-2006, 09:30 PM
I used to be an extremely busty size 10, but being married and a mommy seems to have affected my metabolism! :teehee: Now I'm anywhere from a 16-20, and I'm having the hardest time finding patterns! I looked at "Big Girl Knits," and not a one of those patterns was flattering on the girls wearing them! OK, not exclusively true--there were two sweaters I liked, but I'd have to be willing to bare the girls!! I'm loving "Knitting Nature" because the sweaters go up to a 48-52" bust, which is perfect. Doesn't look like Norah Gaughan has any other books, though. What are the rest of you using?

cheesiesmom
11-29-2006, 10:02 PM
From your post and the list of OTN and FO you have, you sound like you might be up to a challenge.

I also belong to the Yahoo Group Ample Knitters. Lots of the women in the group have successfully upsized patterns. I've learned a lot just by reading the messages, but if you are interested, particularly if you want to knit something from an ordinary book, you might investigate that group. I'm sure you could get whatever help you needed from some pretty savvy knitters.

Then you wouldn't have to just find ample patterns, you could upscale whatever strikes your fancy.

suzeeq
11-30-2006, 02:24 AM
They have a website too, with loads of pictures and some patterns. You could check that out too. www.ampleknitters.com, I believe...

sue

mulene
11-30-2006, 07:20 AM
Ample knitters list on Yahoo is an excellent resource. I liked BGK and I made Bombshell from it. I also like White Lies designs and I am LOVING stitch Diva's Sahara pattern - they have others there that go up to bigger sizes too ( http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDS-031 ). Also Interweave knits seems to have patterns going into larger sizes too.

You can always adapt a pattern you love using short row shaping etc. BGK is great for info on how to do that.