PDA

View Full Version : A Cabled Scarf that doesn't turn in?

becjo
11-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I just bought some beautiful yarn. It's actually the Lion Brand - "Jiffy" - what I love about it is the color. It has the look of Mohair in it. I'm not sure what to do with it. I wanted to make something extra for Christmas. I wanted to try a cabled scarf but I dont want it turning in at the ends. I've been working on a cabled scarf out of wool and it turned it so bad, I Frogged the whole thing! :grrr: By turning in - I mean the sides would curl up where it wouldnt lay flat.

Was it just the wool that turned in? I dont want to get started on this and have to pull it out.

Anyone have any ideas - worked with this yarn before? Have any nice cable patterns that you know doesnt turn the yarn in?

mulene
11-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Without a doubt - the Irish Hiking Scarf - it turns out so well I love mine but its going to my boss for Christmas!

http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm

suzeeq
11-30-2006, 12:12 PM
You could try a garter or seed stitch edge on the pattern you originally did. If it's over one inch wide, that may help.

sue

brendajos
11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
if it was wool i would think that blocking and/or a fringe might have helped the scarf too. :shrug:

knitqueen
11-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Another one (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50368.html?noImages=), designed by our own Yvonne!!! :happydance:

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2006, 01:09 PM
I just want to mention that it is not only the stitches that will cause something to curl up, but also gauge! Sometimes when you use a needle that is too small for the yarn, your knitting will curl up even if you are doing a stitch that is supposed to lay flat. As silly as it sounds for a scarf, you might want to do a swatch?

cookworm
11-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I used this yarn for a shawl, and I've used it for crocheted edgings to knitted shawls. The yarn itself is soft and like you mentioned, has a mohair-y "halo" to it, and it gets even softer after washing. It's nice that it's easy to care for. I can't wear mohair so I liked this as a substitute. The only problem I had was--and maybe it was just this batch--was that I used 6 skeins of this on my shawl, and EVERY ONE of the 6 skeins was knotted together to join yarn, which meant weaving in A LOT of extra ends I didn't anticipate. I use Lion Brand yarns fairly regularly because I don't have a LYS nearby, and I've NEVER had this happen with any of their yarns, even when I used a different color Jiffy yarn, I never had skeins knotted together. I hope I don't scare you off by telling you this, but I thought you should know. Hopefully, it was just my experience. The main color (5 skeins) I used in my shawl was the "El Paso" colorway (a very pretty fall-like color scheme) and I edged it with one skein of the "Wine". It came out very pretty and the recipient liked it--the effect was a mottling of color and not striped which is what I had hoped for.

What color did you wind up buying?

I'm sorry about your previous project and having it curl up. Mulene, I really like that scarf pattern--thanks for sharing! :inlove:

suzeeq
11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
I used 3 skeins of Jiffy for a cardi/shrug, and one for a scarf and found no knots in any of them. It's really nice as a fake `mohair'. I would also recommend larger needles for this. I used 13s, but you could do a nice cabled scarf on 11s.

sue

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
I tend to find a lot of knots in this yarn as well! But I love it.

DragonTush
11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I just made up my own cabled scarf pattern...I added a garter stitch edging to prevent curling. Its working so far and I'm halfway through the scarf.

becjo
11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Oh dont worry - I dont scare easy - I'll still give it a go with this yarn. I got the color "Apple Green" - its such a pretty green - sort of lime but not too bold.

I actually found that reversible cable scarf and printed out the pattern just a half hour before I read your post! Great minds think alike!