PDA

View Full Version : Which Old Christmas Show Is Your Favorite?

GennyLynn1962
11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
I thought it would be fun to see what old Christmas shows everybody likes.

It's sorta hard for me to pick because I like different things about each one. I have the best memories of Rudolph and Frosty, but Little Drummer Boy has the most Christmas meaning for me. :shrug:

Julie
11-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Dude! You forgot The Year Without a Santa Claus! :D

I'm mister green Christmas...I'm mister sun..... :teehee:

stitchwitch
11-30-2006, 10:32 AM

My vote for sure! "I'm Mr. White Christmas, I'm Mr. Frost......" I may have to change my avatar. :teehee:

GennyLynn1962
11-30-2006, 10:32 AM
:oops:

Sorry, I don't see a way to add it.

I knew I would leave out some. :teehee:

suziehomemaker
11-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas!!!!!

brendajos
11-30-2006, 11:03 AM
can I tell you which one I hate?! It is true...I HAAAAAAATE "It's a Wonderful Life." Ugh...it is utterly depressing until about the last five minutes...yes I know...a bit of hyperbole but seriously...you spend so much of the movie being beaten into depression that those last few minutes can't help but being outrageously joyous...blah!

My favorite of all time though is "The Muppet Christmas Carol." heeeeeeee!

"Light the lamp not the rat! Light the lamp not the rat!"

mintdee
11-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Wanna know something funny about Its a wonderful life? My OB and a nurse were discussing how much he didn't like that movie and the nurse was just astonished that he didn't like it. This discussion took place during my c-section in May :doh: :roflhard: Weirdest time to discuss that movie really. :roflhard: Thankfully my OB is hot. :eyebrow:

Anyway my favorite Christmas movie is "A Christmas Story" Although I adore all the old ones. Its the newer ones that I am not to fond of. :shrug:

Stiney
11-30-2006, 11:30 AM
The only one I like on here besides the Grinch (my vote) is Charlie Brown Christmas. Another favorite is the Muppet Christmas where they go to Fozzie's grandma's house and the Sesame Street gang and Fraggles are there, too. It's AWESOME.

GennyLynn1962
11-30-2006, 11:34 AM
See, I forgot another one. :teehee:

I really like Emmit Otter, my kids loved it, they would run around singing the songs for days after they watched it.

I guess I should have remembered that not everyone here is as old as I am. :teehee:

I don't like It's a Wonderful Life either, and that was one thing we HAD to watch every year when I was a kid. My brothers liked it, who would have thought that?

SandraEllen
11-30-2006, 11:43 AM

I don't think I've even HEARD of that movie! I wonder which dark hole I grew up in...

I had to go out and find The Grinch and Rudolph to buy. I can't believe how much they are charging for those! And it's just because fools like me will buy them even though they are on TV every year! :rofl:

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm so excited that ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas starts tomorrow - loads of classic Christmas shows!

For TV: Can't beat Charlie Brown!

For movies: Muppets Christmas Carol

Stiney
11-30-2006, 12:00 PM
psamm, I :heart: your new avatar!!!!

stitchwitch
11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
We actually own the Muppets Christmas Carol and we have no kids! :roflhard:
I loathe "it's a wonderful life". I didn't watch it until I was something like 26 or 27 years old and one day while my husband was out of town it came on the TV and I decided to end my streak and watch it. Blah!

craftymom
11-30-2006, 12:27 PM
I love It's a Wonderful Life. It's my favorite movie of all time! Polar Express has become a favorite too. We watch A Christmas Story and A Christmas Carol - the old black and white one every year. I love this time of year.

knitwitnc
11-30-2006, 01:21 PM
In descending order of faves:
1. A Charlie Brown Christmas (Linus reciting Luke 2)
2. cartoon How the Grinch Stole Christmas
3. A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart version)
4. It's a Wonderful Life :heart:

Jackie M.
11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
None of the above. A Christmas Story is my favorite.

Jan in CA
11-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Grinch is my favorite cartoony movie, but I love the old classics.

*It's a Wonderful Life - doesn't depress me
*Miracle on 34th Street
*White Christmas
*Holiday Inn
*The Bishop's Wife

I'm sure I've forgotten a few. Thanks to Psamm for reminding me about the 25 days of Christmas on ABC Family.

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
psamm, I :heart: your new avatar!!!!

Thanks! (I had one that I liked better, but it gave away the ending to book 5, so I decide to hold off until the movie comes out. After someone spoiled my brother on the endings to books 4, 5, and 6, I've been really careful not to ruin the endings for anyone else!)

Anybody ever heard of It Came Upon a Midnight Clear with Mickey Rooney? My granddad taped that and Mickey's Christmas Carol for us circa 1984, complete with commercials. That's a much-watch every year, partially to carry on the tradition, and partially to laugh at the gratuitous 80's hairstyles.

Sara
11-30-2006, 01:49 PM
"John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together"

Another old favorite is "Come To The Stable". Hopefully, they'll show it on TMC this season.

Jackie M.
11-30-2006, 01:50 PM
oh oh...I thought of another one! I haven't seen it in years because it doesn't come on cable anymore like it use to.

"A Child's Christmas in Wales". I loved that movie! It's based on the book of course and it was wonderul. I wish I knew where I could get it.

Carol_OH
11-30-2006, 01:55 PM
"It's a Wonderful Life"
"A Christmas Story"

:D

Secksiebrat
11-30-2006, 02:02 PM
A christmas story will ALWAYS be my favorite. I love to watch the 24 hour marathon on tnt on Christmas eve. It's surely the best :)

~danielle~

JLC
11-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Charlie Brown
Rudolph
The Grinch (cartoon - not the Jim Carrey one)

My absolute, total favorite is National Lampoon's Christmas vacation.

I'm not a huge fan of A Christmas Story, but I tolerate it because dh and the kids like it. My youngest dh only watches it because he likes it when the kid gets his tongue stuck to the pole.

Oh, and youngest dh (almost 5) was watching Rudolph last night and said, "Look, mom, it's the "vomital" snowman. :teehee:

We got the polar express last year but I haven't watched the whole thing, just bits and pieces here and there. The kids like it, though.

brendajos
11-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh, and youngest dh (almost 5)

:tap: I DON'T THINK IT IS RIGHT TO MARRY FIVE YEAR OLDS!!! (Or is that to say it is the youngest of your nearly five dh's? hrmmm) :teehee:

Jackie M.
11-30-2006, 02:41 PM

:tap: I DON'T THINK IT IS RIGHT TO MARRY FIVE YEAR OLDS!!! (Or is that to say it is the youngest of your nearly five dh's? hrmmm) :teehee:

LOL :rofl: That was funny brendajos. I saw that too, but didn't say anything. I knew she must have meant either ds or dd.

brendajos
11-30-2006, 02:42 PM
yeah but ya know I can't let anything like that go! :teehee:

craftymom
11-30-2006, 02:50 PM
I love this thread. I forgot about Miracle on 34th Street and Christmas Vacation.

JLC
11-30-2006, 03:32 PM

LOL :rofl: That was funny brendajos. I saw that too, but didn't say anything. I knew she must have meant either ds or dd.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I did mean ds! :doh:

Jan in CA
11-30-2006, 03:33 PM

:noway: :teehee: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Your reaction is as funny as the typo! :teehee:

Julie
11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Fans of A Christmas Story...have you seen this?

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

ebrperk
11-30-2006, 03:54 PM
I voted for Charlie Brown just because it was my favorite's of them mentioned but I do like the Santa Clause movies. My girls love to watch them all year long.

jdee
11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
My absolute favorite is the Grinch, but it has to be the old cartoon version. THat is a must. I also like the Charlie Brown one.

Jackie M.
11-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Fans of A Christmas Story...have you seen this?

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Yes! I saw that last night. Can you believe the house was for sale on Ebay??

Pixywhispers
11-30-2006, 06:08 PM
I dont think Ive seen any of those listed.

When my dh (who is 35) HA! gets really depressed, which is rare, he watches Its A Wonderful Life. I used to hate it! But now that I knit, I can bare it. Hey Knit and Bare it. <giggle> Is that the correct bare?

brendajos
11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
wellllllllllllllllllllll if you are talkin' about gettin' nekkid it is... i would suppose that might get him out of his funk! :teehee:

mks22300
11-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, my favorite TV Christmas special is A Charlie Brown Christmas, but I think I have too many movies that are my favorites. :teehee:
A Christmas Story, The Polar Express, Christmas Vacation, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, A Muppets Christmas Carol, Patrick Stewart's version of A Christmas Carol....hmm, are there anymore I forgot to mention?

Pixywhispers
11-30-2006, 06:29 PM
HA! Yeah its pretty bad if getting nekkid can't get my dh out of his funk. HA! But Jimmy Stewart seems to work wonders!

dustinac
11-30-2006, 06:49 PM
I picked Charlie Brown.. I also like the Muppets Carol... Christmas in CT with Stanwyck, White Christmas, The Bishop's Wife (Grant), Holiday Inn, Miracle of the Bells, I also bring out the On Moonlight Bay, and By the light of the slivery moon... they use to play the matchbox girl and I loved that.. and the Christmas box... ohh and The Gift of Love (Angela Lansbury) I haven't seen that one in a long time... or Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus... and Hallmark has one I love to watch every year the Christmas Vistor.. I love Christmas movies... Little Women (Taylor) :teehee:

oh I forgot the Man who came to dinner... even my hubby likes that one.. I'm in my mid 20s but love the movies before the 60s... and most movies I see now just lead to disappointment... :rofl:

miccisue
11-30-2006, 09:31 PM
One claymation one I adore is "Nestor The Long Eared Christmas Donkey". I think I first saw it when I was 20 and a senior in college, and I sat and bawled my eyes out. To be honest, it still makes me well up when I watch it. :oops:

BinkyKat
11-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Nestor makes me cry TOO!!!!!!! :pout: :pout: :pout:
And so does the little drummer boy for that matter! There's also a song that plays at Christmas about a little girl Maria who can only give a little bird that she cares for and heals that sings beautifully...oh my God...my eyes are welling up right now as I type this! :pout: Waaa!!!

But Rudolph is my favorite..per my Dad. I've been watching this one since I was old enough to sit up on my own!

snowbear
11-30-2006, 11:25 PM
White Christmas... I love that one due to it being WW2 centered. My folks were of that era, and it make me feel close to them, now that they have gone on and are waiting for me to finish my work down here.

I still get teary when "Attention" is commanded. what can I say.... I'm a sucker for a guy in uniform...... :muah:

itsazoo
11-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Love White Christmas and
A Christmas Story

The Year without a Santa Clause is great! Did you know they stopped showing it on TV because some people decided Heatmiser (sp?) was satanic? I bought it a few years ago because I missed it (and we have no kids :oops: )

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 11:51 PM
One claymation one I adore is "Nestor The Long Eared Christmas Donkey". I think I first saw it when I was 20 and a senior in college, and I sat and bawled my eyes out. To be honest, it still makes me well up when I watch it. :oops:

I love Nestor! Have you seen Small One? If you like Nestor, you'll like Small One. It's a Disney cartoon that we taped from somewhere.

Julie
11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
heat miser :roflhard: satanic :roflhard: that's too much :roflhard:

GennyLynn1962
12-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Nestor The Long Eared Christmas Donkey

I've never heard of that one. :??

they stopped showing it on TV because some people decided Heatmiser (sp?) was satanic?

You've got to be kidding?! Heatmiser=satanic?

stitchwitch
12-01-2006, 10:30 AM
heat miser :roflhard: satanic :roflhard: that's too much :roflhard:

Heeeeeeee's too much!!!!! :roflhard:
Well, thankfully my ex sister in law taped it for me so I have my own personal satanic version to watch. Although, I'm partial to the snow meiser myself. :roflhard: Where do these people come up with this stuff? :rofl:

Kaydee
12-01-2006, 12:05 PM
I love watching the Grinch (the cartoon is my fave but I love the people version too), and Frosty the Snow Man...it always makes me sad when he starts to melt. Besides that I :heart: Elf, what a good movie! And what would Christmas be without 24 hours of A Christmas Story?!

nadja la claire
12-01-2006, 12:15 PM
It's gotta be the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas. To me it's just not Christmas until I see it. Charlie Brown's Christmas is a close 2nd and of course Sir Alister Simm's A Christmas Carol even though I it's not a "kid's show" I still have to see it every year. Also a Christmas Story is a Christmas day tradition in our house. There now everyone knows what I have to see at this time of year whether they want to or not. :teehee:

Nadja xxx

pug
12-01-2006, 10:44 PM
My all time favorites are

1. Going My Way
2. Holiday Inn
3. White Christmas

no matter how many times I watch Going My Way, I sob like a baby. You can't go wrong with Bing Crosby!