PDA

View Full Version : OT: It's Winter in....

Jackie M.
11-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Texas! We are having an ice storm. Been going for the last 4 hours and it's only 26 degrees. I don't have to go to work today....YEA!
Have a fire going, going to put in a movie and knit. Ahhhhhhh, time for cocoa too.

Jan in CA
11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/cold/2.gif My brother and his family live in Plano. I was there one year in January and we got a little snow. Enjoy it while it lasts!

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm about 200 miles north of you in Oklahoma City, and it's snowing here!!! They've pretty much shut down the city, and I, being "non-essential personnel," have the day off! (Isn't it nice to be non-essential sometimes?!) So far, I've been reading Harry Potter (finished Half-Blood Prince for the 3rd time), drinking tea and hot chocolate, and watching White Christmas - how about you?

Sara
11-30-2006, 01:52 PM
It's 60 degrees here in Western New York. :teehee: But don't worry, we'll be in the 30's by midnight and the snow will start again. :roll: I wish DH would get home from Boston, then we could go get a tree before the weather gets nasty and we bring tons of snow into the house.

Jackie M.
11-30-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm really having HP withdrawels and will have to start book 5 again real soon, or at least before the movie comes out in July.

Yes, sometimes it helps being non-essential. That's why my boss said to not come in today, although he didn't use that expression. The library isn't so important I guess.

trollgirl
11-30-2006, 01:55 PM
It's -20 here. Celsius. I think that would be -5 to -10 in Fahrenheit? I know -40 Celsius is the same as -40 Fahrenheit. It hasn't gotten that cold yet, unless you count windchill. Wow, I can't believe stuff just shuts down in other places. I have to trudge to work with snow up to my knees.

I will be so, so happy when it goes up to 0 degrees, because that will be a warm day.

Stonington
11-30-2006, 01:59 PM
59 balmy degrees here in Portland Maine. Alas that is suppose to change rather quickly. :hug: enjoy your reading time.. I am very envious!

anne
n sebago, me

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Well it is in the 40s and 50s here today. Which for the desert is scarves and hat cold. :roflhard:

stitchwitch
11-30-2006, 02:19 PM
78 here with 68% humidity...oh joy. :pout:

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 02:22 PM
It's -20 here. Celsius. I think that would be -5 to -10 in Fahrenheit? I know -40 Celsius is the same as -40 Fahrenheit. It hasn't gotten that cold yet, unless you count windchill. Wow, I can't believe stuff just shuts down in other places. I have to trudge to work with snow up to my knees.

I will be so, so happy when it goes up to 0 degrees, because that will be a warm day.

Around here, it's not the cold itself that's the problem. It's the peabrains who think having 4-wheel drive means that they can go flying down an icy highway at 70 mph. I can deal with cold; risking my life by driving near those nit-wits, not so much. [/vent]

A few years ago, we had a really bad ice storm, and one of the accidents involved an empty ambulance that had slid from another accident a block away. Yikes!

trollgirl
11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Around here, it's not the cold itself that's the problem. It's the peabrains who think having 4-wheel drive means that they can go flying down an icy highway at 70 mph. I can deal with cold; risking my life by driving near those nit-wits, not so much. [/vent]

Oh, yeah, I know what you're talking about. I don't have a car so I take the bus and then walk about 500 metres down a major road to get to work. There is no sidewalk in some places, and I'm walking in snow a lot, which I can deal with. But sometimes cars whizz by me and once in a while I imagine that if they lose control and go off the road, I'll be all splattified. But the WORST happens in spring, when everything is melty and slippery, and all you're trying to do is not slip and fall over into the busy road, and some jerk comes zooming by and splashes dirty melted snow-water on you. I think they do it on purpose.

letah75
11-30-2006, 03:22 PM
It was in the 20's when I got up this morning, we had a freeze warning til 9am. I think it's supposed to get up to 50 degrees today.

It's abnormally cold for this area, and EVERYONE is chitter chattering, and complaining. After reading some of the above posts, I realize Californians are big wussies.... :roflhard:

However, when it gets to 115 here in the summer, then we are tough people who can handle anything. :sun:

Jessica
11-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Texas! We are having an ice storm. Been going for the last 4 hours and it's only 26 degrees. I don't have to go to work today....YEA!
Have a fire going, going to put in a movie and knit. Ahhhhhhh, time for cocoa too.

It snows in texas :?eyebrow:

I live in Michigan, and it gets freakin cold here. Not to mention all the stooopid white stuff that falls on the ground :!!!:

Jackie M.
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM

It snows in texas :?eyebrow:

I live in Michigan, and it gets freakin cold here. Not to mention all the stooopid white stuff that falls on the ground :!!!:

Yes it snows or we have ice storms at least twice a year and that is enough to shut down the whole state. :teehee:

Secksiebrat
11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Yes I'm in North East Texas and I'm freeezing. It isn't quite 32 degrees yet, but it's raining and windy and it's HORRIBLE.

I've been drinking tea, felting my son's clogs, and crochetting beads on socks for a friend's niece for christmas! I have SOOO much to do and SO little time. Can I have an extra set of hands please? Thanks!

~danielle~

Kaydee
11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Its 68 here in Boston :shock: ....way to warm for this time of the year! Where is the snow??

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
If it makes you feel any better, it was 75 degrees here two days ago (in Oklahoma). The front should be headed your way!

Stiney
11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
It's warm and foggy in Jersey.

Kaydee, it doesn't generally snow this early in Boston. I'd say "normally" but Boston has no "normally." :rofl:

Kaydee
11-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Kaydee, it doesn't generally snow this early in Boston. I'd say "normally" but Boston has no "normally." :rofl:

I guess I should say where's the cold? It doesn't feel like we're going into the holiday season when you can walk around in a t-shirt and flip flops :hot:

Sooze
11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
wind chill is about 12 degrees..my car door is frozen OPEN, I couldn't get up the hill to go for milk, had to back all the way down the street, and then people driving like idiots, pulling out in front, and THEN, since it may get above freezing tomorrow is going to rain AGAIN, another layer of ice on top of snow, on top of the first layer of ice...NOT FUN!

Ok, I need a cup of tea, but I am spoiled (it was so nice earlier this week) and bored, since there is no place I want to go, with the wind, and the cold...me and the kitty kat stuck inside, and REALLY going stir crazy already, I am not sure why, since most days I love being at home.

We're not in Kansas any more Toto! This is the mongolian tundra! Brrrrr!

Mer
11-30-2006, 06:32 PM
We don't have snow here in Houston, but the change in temperature was amazing! It went from 73 to 43 in about 30 minutes this morning.

dustinac
11-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Its in the 60s here in OH.. yesterday I sat outside while my little girl napped.. today it was to windy... I have my house ready for Christmas so I'm ready to see a few flurries :teehee:

Jaxhil
11-30-2006, 07:22 PM
It's 38 degrees here in the South Texas hill country :woohoo:

I am *lovin"* it!!

It's so rare to be cold here-yesterday was shorts and t-shirts, as usual and today its brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :teehee: A little north of where I am is iced over, and it's snowing I hear in Dallas! If we got snow here (I don't think it's snowed here, like, ever!) my kids (and me too!) will be sooo excited!

If anyone has snow pics where you are, it would be fun to see them! We can live vicariously through them, lol!

jberry16
11-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Our high today was 32F!!! yea warmness, NM can get darn cold. woke up to snow, most melted now though, our low is gonna be 18 tonight.

cookworm
11-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Ok, I need a cup of tea, but I am spoiled (it was so nice earlier this week) and bored, since there is no place I want to go, with the wind, and the cold...me and the kitty kat stuck inside, and REALLY going stir crazy already, I am not sure why, since most days I love being at home.

Sooze--sounds like a good excuse to knit! :teehee:

miccisue
11-30-2006, 09:43 PM
To all of the "easterners" who are wondering where the cold and snow are.....watch out what you wish for. I'm in the midwest, and after 60 and 70 degrees early this week, we are now in the mid to upper 20's with a prediction of 6-12 inches of snow. I'm guessing at least one, if not both, are headed your way before too long. :?eyebrow:

ebrperk
11-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Here in Minnesota it was sunny and cold. The high today was about 17 and the low tonight is supposed to be like 2. I like winter but I hate ice and wind. Cold isn't so bad if the wind isn't blowing 30 miles an hour.

snowbear
11-30-2006, 11:30 PM
KC is going to be 0 at 8:-- a. m. tomorrow.. I'm off 3 days, & am splurging on home delivered groceries. I'm knitting, watching White Christmas, and drinking hot cider & hot toddy... Less that 3 weeks till all the knitting has to be done!!!!!

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 11:53 PM
WOOHOO!!! I just found out I have tomorrow off as well! Could this possibly get any better?

SabrinaJL
12-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Ugh, so I let my dad con me into going to Albuquerque with him yesterday (which is 175 miles or so from where we live). I've never been to the yarn store there and he promised to buy me yarn if I went with him.

We ended up stuck overnight in a town about 30 miles from there due to them closing the interstate. I didn't have any clothes or anything because we weren't planning on staying the night. I was NOT amused and told him if I'd have known that was going to happen, I would have made him buy me more yarn. :teehee:

On the bright side, the yarn store was FABULOUS!!! I could have spent all day (and all my money) there. They even had a cool doggie in there. Thank goodness it's 175 miles away and I don't go there all that often. I'd be in trouble.

twistedknitter
12-01-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm about 60 miles NE of you in Greenville,TX and last I checked it was 26 degrees and falling. Got a little snow this morning and it's still hanging around.

I'm staying inside with a blanket and a cuddle-bug. Stay warm.