PDA

View Full Version : What to make for a wonderful mom

booskibabe
11-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm making my mom *something* for her birthday in January. It's going to be either a cape, a poncho, or a shrug. The yarn she chose for the body is LB microspun in french vanilla, and for her trim she chose Bernat boa in mauve, cream, and brown. (I forgot the name for the color).
What do you think it should be? I want it to be age appropriate for her, as well as something she'll adore.

janelanespaintbrush
11-30-2006, 02:22 PM
I chose cape for no particular reason except that ponchos and shrugs seem a bit more trendy. If she's going to wear it out, though, it might be easier for her to carry a purse over something with sleeves like a shrug -- although, her purse could go under a cape, couldn't it? Okay, cape then. ;)

Sara
11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm making an elbow length poncho for my mom.

:shifty: I'll get back to it someday. Honestly.

:teehee:

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 02:29 PM
What about a wrap? Like a scarf, but wider, so she can wrap it around her shoulders or put it on her lap.

booskibabe
11-30-2006, 02:34 PM
We were (I was) originally going to make a wrap type thing that closed with a brooch and had fringe. I guess the "closing with a brooch" thing made me think old lady. :shrug: Anyway, I guess my mom isn't that old, she's 47, will be 48. Hey I would love to see a pic of your mom's poncho, Sara!

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Ouch. That's older, huh? :-)

booskibabe
11-30-2006, 03:21 PM
LOL yeah, I guess to a 23 yr old daughter! :teehee:

Sara
11-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Yikes! My mom's 72! :rofl: And I mean no offense, but I think she's too young to wear a cape closed by a brooch. :teehee: I'll have the scanner hooked up later and see if I can get a photo put in.

janelanespaintbrush
11-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey, I thought 60 was the new 40!

I'm with Sara. My Mom's in her 60s and I would definitely not consider her "older." Heck, she's in better shape than I am!

trollgirl
11-30-2006, 03:36 PM
She's not old at all. My mom's almost 60 and she wouldn't be caught dead in 'old lady' clothes. I guess you're as old as you feel? I bet older people don't want to be made to feel like they're elderly, and making them something that looks like it's for old people might be a little insulting.

I put my vote in for poncho anyway.

booskibabe
11-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah I guess you're right. :oops: So what would you make for a mom? Age not being an issue?

Julie
11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
The winter Vogue Knitting has the most beautiful cape in it...I don't think it's old-ladyish at all! ;)

http://www.vogueknitting.com/images/2006holiday/VKH06WHITE2.jpg

trollgirl
11-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Depends on the mom? What sort of things does your mom like? What's her style, so to speak? Are you thinking of I put my vote in for a poncho because I think they can look very classy and don't have to scream "fashion victim!". There's actually a very nice hands-free shawl (I can't remember what it's called) from the Stitch n Bitch Nation book. It's lace done in a black bulky yarn. I intend to make it some day. Something like that can be pretty age neutral.

Oo... you could make a ... CLAPOTIS (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html)... :heart:

booskibabe
11-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Hmmm I know she doesn't want a scarf, although it's gorgeous! The cape is awesome. I think she may have picked out what she wants, but I'm definately going to show her this. As of right now she wants the LB capelet. Their pattern is made with Fun Fur and Lion Boucle, but I'll make her version with the yarn we picked out. Thanks for all the help!

booskibabe
11-30-2006, 04:08 PM
My mom LOVES the vogue cape. She told me to save the pattern "For next year, when you're really good". And here I thought I was pretty good! :oops: :rofl: So I guess we are going with the LB capelet. Thanks for voting!