PDA

View Full Version : Are you a reader?

letah75
11-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I was just wondering how many knitters are voracious readers as well.

Jan in CA
11-30-2006, 03:41 PM
I love to read at night before I go to sleep. My favorite books are mysteries although I like some nonfiction and other types of books, too.

Favorite authors:

Janet Evanovich
Robert Crais
Sue Grafton
Jan Burke
Patricia Cornwell
Tamar Myers
....and others that elude me right now... :??

letah75
11-30-2006, 03:51 PM
I LOVE Janet Evonivich (even though I can't spell her name), also obviously a fan of the Yarn Harlot

I'm a big SciFi freak:
Spider Robinson!!!! (Callaghan ROCKS!)
Robert Heinlein
Issac Asimov
Aurther C. Clarke
Anne McCaffery
Diana Gabaldon
Ray Bradberry
I could go on.

I have 5 seven foot book shelves in my apartment all double and tripple shelved. My yarn stash and book stash compete for which one will put me in the poor house first. The also have long involved arguments as to which one I will "accidently" get burried under.

Jan in CA
11-30-2006, 03:54 PM
That's a LOT of bookshelves! :teehee: I recently had a garage sale and sold a lot of books. I only keep the ones that I would read again which includes all those authors I listed.

letah75
11-30-2006, 03:59 PM
:oops: I've read all of my books multiple times, I always get rid of the ones I will not read a second, third....tenth time. I went home for thanksgiving and came home with two paperbags full of new books.

I have attempted to read and knit at the same time (using a cookbook holder to keep my book level), the problem is I have to turn the pages to much which involves putting down my knitting.

I always have 3 books going at a time; 1 for home, 1 for work, and 1 for the car.

Jessica
11-30-2006, 03:59 PM
I think I totalled up how much I spent just last year on books and it came too about $3000 :shock: And I cant count the number of books I've read in my life, it must be somewhere in the thousands. I started reading at a young age after being forced to learn, only to realize I loved it. I have to read in the bathroom :oops: and if I dont have a book or a mag, I really do read the back of the shampoo bottle. Books are like crack!!! But recently I have been spending all my money on knitting stuff, which luckely includes...Books!! :muah:

HamburgKnitter
11-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Before I started knitting (mid-October), I read all evening, every evening. Now I knit all evening, every evening...until I go to bed, then I read for awhile. I was reading a minimum of 2 books a week for years, now I've read maybe 2 books in the last month! It's the one thing that I don't like about knitting - it cuts into my reading time in a big way. Hopefully I'll become a good enough knitter some day to do both. :teehee:

My favorite author? :?? Well, I love Bill Bryson, Nick Hornby, Roddy Doyle, Margaret Atwood, Zadie Smith, John Irving, the list goes on and on....I love reading biographies, Charles Dickens, the Harry Potter books, the Henning Mankell and Ian Rankin mystery series...I will read almost anything except really dry history books and I'm not terribly fond of science fiction or fantasy. Actually, some science fiction is good, but I don't like those fantasy books with lots of dragon slaying, etc.

JLC
11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
I used to read at least a couple books a week, then I started knitting and it went down to about 1 a week. I just started reading Janet Evanovich and I've been reading more than knitting for the last couple weeks. I really like Sue Grafton, Nora Roberts (especially the "death" series she writes as JD Robb), Faye Kellerman, actually pretty much anything. If I forget to bring a book into the bathroom, I'll read the tampon box or whatever else I can reach. :roflhard:

Secksiebrat
11-30-2006, 04:19 PM
I read alot. I really like to read. I try to spread my time between knitting and reading.

I like to read mainly romance.

My favorite authors are:

Janet Evanovich
Brenda Joyce
J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts (I love the in death series)
Debbie Macomber
Judith McNaught
J.K Rowlings
Janet Daily (I love the calder series)
Heather Graham
Julie Garwood
and on and on....

~danielle~

LoAnnie
11-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Whoa. I didn't know anyone else knew who Spider Robinson is. I love the Callahan books. I need to start collecting those back up, since it's been years since I read them.

LoAnnie Total Sci-Fi Freak

Kaydee
11-30-2006, 04:27 PM
I love to read, but couldn't find much time in college besides in the summer. :shrug: Now that I'm graduated, I'm reading much more for enjoyment. I'm currently reading The Secret Life of Beas, its very good. Before that I read The Lovely Bones which was equally as good but stopped reading it for a while when my grandfather died in the summer (its about a girl who dies and is telling her story from Heaven). Both are good recommendations.

knitaddict
11-30-2006, 04:28 PM
I drive the librarian crazy here on base. We go about 1ce a week, even though books are checked out for 2 weeks, and I usually take out between 7 & 10 books... all of which are read by the time we go back. I read when I'm sitting, when standing, while walking to the mailbox, even when I'm stirring something in the kitchen. Any chance I can get, I take it!! Now that I'm pregnant & haven't been able to stomach knitting :( I've been reading even more.

I have over 100 Dragon Lance novels (which dh & I both collect) which have all been read a multitude of times, as well as several mystery series that I read over & over again. Dh & I don't buy books often at bookstores - I read so much that I prefer to check Goodwill, flea markets & yard sales - but most of the ones I buy, I keep forever. It breaks my heart to give away a book. lol

psammeadred
11-30-2006, 04:33 PM
I collect antique books and just books in general! At last count, I had over 300.

A few favorite authors:
C. S. Lewis
J. R. R. Tolkien
Madeleine L'Engle
Lucy Maud Montgomery
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
J. K. Rowling
Wilkie Collins

Stiney
11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I read less than I did before I started knitting, but I'm still an avid reader. I actually just posted my personal statement for my grad school application (Pace University's Certificate in Book Publishing) in my Blog Thread (Stine has Scurvy, page 23 or so) that talks about what an avid reader I am. I didn't use "shampoo bottle" but I came close. :teehee:

Jackie M.
11-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Nice to see other Janet Evanovich fans here.

Ranger or Joe.......Ranger or Joe........

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm one of those who used to read before I found knitting. Now I read about knitting. :teehee:

mwedzi
11-30-2006, 06:35 PM
I feel guilty when I read something that's not linguistics. Somehow knitting or watching TV or doing plant related things doesn't make me feel guilty, so I usually do those instead. I often allow myself a book or two during xmas and the summer. I go for the sci-fi/mystery/horror types. An author I have recently been enjoying is Stephen Baxter.

dustinac
11-30-2006, 06:52 PM
I use to read all the time.. but since knitting I haven't had much time.. I keep thinking I'll look for tapes of the books I like but dh has some for the car and I really can't enjoy them as much...

I can't handle scary things movies or books lol... and mystery books get to me too... so I tend to stick with Janette Oke, Lori Wick, etc...

Vendie
11-30-2006, 06:58 PM
I go through phases in my reading, but it's definitely waned a bit since I became obsessed with my knitting. I do listen to books though - I belong to Audible.com (http://www.audible.com) and get to download a new book every month. Of course, I haven't even finished the first one yet, but I'm getting there.

I love:
Myla Goldberg
Dave Sedaris
Kurt Vonnegut
Zadie Smith
Carole Shields
Margaret Atwood
...I'm sure there are others. I tend to go for the authors who fall into the "Original Voices" category at Borders. :teehee:

SabrinaJL
11-30-2006, 07:35 PM
We recently moved and before we did, I decided that I needed to sort through my books and get rid of some. I ended up giving away 100 books. I still have over 200 that I kept though. I will admit that my reading has suffered since I started getting really into knitting. If only I could read AND knit at the same time. I know there are audio books, but it's just not the same for me.

itsazoo
11-30-2006, 11:34 PM
I love to read. If I had a dollar for every book I've bought, I'd go out and buy more books. I posted in another thread about www.bookins.com Which has saved me a ton of $$ that I spend on yarn now.

I love to while taking a bubble bath, and since I can't knit while taking a bath that is the only time that reading wins out over knitting. If I could read while knitting :teehee: I would have total bliss.

The authors that pop into my head at the moment:
Stephen King
Rosamund Pilcher (The Shell Seekers is my fav book of all time)
Maeve Binchy
Elizabeth Buchan
Elizabeth Berg
Alice Hoffman

Sara
12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Ranger.

I used to read 5 to 7 books per week, sometimes more. Children cut into my reading time. Knitting cut into my reading time. And now that I'm going to school, I feel guilty about reading for fun. *sigh* One more semester...

AmandaC
12-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I :heart: reading.

While I'm in the kitchen cooking I will be reading all the packets, top to bottom .... in the bathroom - I read the makeup / shampoo / toothpaste ... whatever's handy!!!!