PDA

View Full Version : WOTA vs. Patons Classic Merino

gardenmommy
11-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Has anyone used both and can compare and contrast? Does the PCM get pilly as easily as the WOTA? Is it a lot softer? I have felt the PCM but not WOTA before.

janelanespaintbrush
11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Haven't used Patons, but seem to remember it feeling pretty soft when I fondled it in the store (:teehee:). Having used WOTA, I can tell you that it's definitely not soft enough for next-to-skin use (at least not for me), though it's not the scratchiest wool I've ever felt by any means. A more comparable KP yarn would probably be merino style since it's also merino.

cookworm
11-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I haven't used WOTA, but use PCM a lot. I find it to be quite economical considering how much you get yardage-wise per skein, and t's very soft for next-to-the-skin wearing; in fact, I made my daughter's baby blanket out of it that she's been using since she was born, that's how soft and non-scratchy it is. PCM has pilled a lot on my daughter's blanket (I suspect because it gets a lot of friction from daily usage), but for the hats I've made from it, there's no pilling at all; I'm not sure why this is. Sorry I can't make a comparison between WOTA and PCM.

Julie
11-30-2006, 11:50 PM
I made fingerless mitts from PCm and they were so itchy, I had to give them away. And I'm not sensitive to wool...I just thought it would be softer because it's merino. :shrug: I've worked with WOTA quite a bit and I'd say they're equally scratchy.

And I have to say, isn't it absolutely fascinating how different people have such different takes on the same yarn? I can't fathom finding alpaca itchy, yet some people do...and I think Malabrigo is the softest wool ever, yet my sister thinks it's itchy. :shrug:

Liliyarn
12-01-2006, 03:23 AM
I've used both.
WOTA - Absolutely would never knit next to skin wear with it. Waaay too scratchy. As I knit with it, it dried out my hands. I consider it for felting only or non-wearables.
Can't say anything about the pill factor on it.

PCM - Much softer than WOTA. Pills a bit if used to make an item that gets wear and friction. It does felt very well. I've used it for scarves and hats. No complaints. It's wool though, so itchies may be a factor depending on the person's sensitivity. I think it is worth the money. Much better than Lion Wool too. More yardage for the money.