PDA

View Full Version : OT - digital camera memory card woes

Lisa Kay
12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone ever have a SD memory card get corrupted?

Halloween pix through Thanksgiving...all on the same card...hadn't gotten around to downloading... :pout:

My camera (a Nikon) says, "This card cannot be used." This all started Tuesday afternoon. I had been looking at the pix on the camera, deleting a few I didn't want. I was going to wait until my son got home from school because I wanted to take a picture of him with his felted mittens before downloading. I got the "This card cannot be used" message when I turned the camera back on after my son got home. :wall:

The camera store was unable to do a file recovery. The Rescue Pro software I have couldn't do it, either. Windows doesn't even recognize that the memory card is in the card reader.

I've found a couple places that I could send the card to for them to try to do a file recovery. I only pay if it works...to the tune of around $100 for the recovery, a CD with any recovered images, and return shipping.

Anyone out there ever done this successfully? I can get copies of Thanksgiving pix taken by other family members. I recreated a few Halloween pix last night (the kids thought it was great fun - ages 4 months, 2 yrs., 4 yrs., and 6 yrs.)...this had to happen with DD's first Halloween pictures, didn't it? But there are others on there that can't be replaced.

The SD card has a lifetime warranty, so that I can get replaced. But first I want my pictures, if at all possible.

Jan in CA
12-01-2006, 03:19 PM
If all those places can't recover photos you may be out of luck. You might be able to use the card again if it will allow you to do an in-camera format. That sometimes works, but it will permanently clear your card if it does.

If the card is guaranteed you could also just get a new one from the manufacturer.

Kaydee
12-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I have a Nikon CoolPix, and a similar thing happened to me as well. I had about 600 pictues on the card from a long trip, and I had looked through them, so I know that they were on the card. When I got home and tried to put them on the computer, there was nothing on the card!! :hair: It's so upsetting when you spend so much time taking pictures. I sent the card out to the company that made it and they did a recovery for me. I got about 98% of the pictures back, although about 10 or so were somewhat messed up. I would try contacting the company that makes the memory card to see if they cen help....at least if you get some of them back its better than nothing.

Rorshach
12-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Hmm you might try downloading a recovery program, I've gone ahead and searched for you, and I found something that will get data from a Secure digital card. http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html is the website I found for you, I cannot vouch for how it works, but on the other hand what have you got to lose, besides your pics? Other things you might do, if the card isn't being recognized by Windows, is to take an eraser, Nylon if you have it, and rub it on the gold contacts on the bottom of your SD card, this might clean the contacts enough to be used.

Jan in CA
12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
A guy I know recommended this software. It's a free trial and will find out if there is anything to recover. If you like it then you pay for it.
Photo Rescue (http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/)
Recovery software (http://www.vicman.net/lib/flash/cardrecovery)

Julie
12-01-2006, 06:47 PM
:pout:

*goes to upload the 500 pictures on her memory card right now*