PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for good basic knitting reference book

El
12-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Hi,
What book would you recommend for a good basic knitting reference? I want something with good illustrations and clear directions. A friend lent me a book called knitter's companion, which is nice because it's small and fits in my knitting bag, but before I bought a copy I wanted to ask you if there's a better one you would recommend. Thanks a lot. If it matters, I'm a beginning knitter--have made 2 garments and some scarves, but have not tried anything adventurous. Thank you,
Ellen

knitqueen
12-02-2006, 12:32 AM
The Knitter's Bible by Claire Crompton is great for well-illustrated instructions, a decent stitch library, and a good number of original patterns. I've enjoyed and used the book a lot.

Jan in CA
12-02-2006, 01:49 AM
I second The Knitter's Bible. It's a great reference. I don't think any book covers absolutely everything, but this one does a pretty good job.

Eloewien
12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I have the knitters bible and love it as well. I use it as a reference when I can't remember decreases- It's wonderful!

kristinw
12-02-2006, 12:05 PM
I have the Vogue Knitting Quick Reference and it has been great so far!

Stiney
12-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I love the Ultimate Vogue Knitting book, but it's not very portable.

janelanespaintbrush
12-02-2006, 04:15 PM
The general reference that I consult most often is Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook. Vogue Ultimate is not as detailed technique-wise, but is also a fine choice -- unlike the Stanley book, it does have a small stitch dictionary, as well as quite a bit of info on making sweaters, if that's your thing. Lots of color photos too. Mary Thomas's Knitting Book, which was originally published in the 30s is also surprisingly good. They aren't any color photos, but for a little book, it's really jam-packed with info. (Even though it's an older book, she covers continental knitting in addition to English, if that's a concern.) She also did a companion book with patterns, though I haven't read through that one. HTH