PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a hat pattern; Jiffy

NakedPancakes
12-03-2006, 02:48 PM
I am looking for a hat pattern in which I can use Jiffy, or a yarn of the same weight.

I've looked at alot of hat patterns today, and they used mostly other weights. I tried doing the gauge of Jiffy to this pattern I really liked, but it didnt make sense. The gauge the pattern gave, was 22 sts per 4 inches, and said that the hat was sized to fit a 22 inch head, though they only casted on 20 inches worth. They didn't rib or anything either so...Wouldn't it be too small?
It's just very confusing for me, so I'm looking for a hat that's made for a bigger yarn like Lion Brand Jiffy.

Any help would be fantastical, thanks. <3

gardenmommy
12-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Do you know the size of the head on which that hat is to be worn?

Do you want a pattern knit flat and then seamed, or in the round, or doesn't matter either way?

Any particular style you are looking for, like ribbing or no ribbing?

What was then pattern you really liked?

The Lion Brand site says

Gauge:
Knit: 14.6 St sts and 18 rows = 4" (10cm) on size 10 (6mm) needles

There were at least a couple patterns listed below for Jiffy (the Bold Stripe Beanie & Scarf set, and the Simple Knitted Cap)

http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/jiffy.htm

NakedPancakes
12-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I think around 22"
Either seamed or in the round works for me;
Any sort of style really; Something simple yet pretty.

http://d-made.com/knitting/patterns/Winter_Femme.pdf

I saw those earlier on LionBrand...I sort of think most of their patterns are a little bit ugly.. :(

gardenmommy
12-03-2006, 03:37 PM
That is a pretty hat! But it calls for sport weight, so that wouldn't work in Jiffy. If you were going to try it in Jiffy,you would probably have to take out a panel or two of the cables.

http://abmatik.blogspot.com/2006/08/super-bulky-cabled-hat.html

Well here is a super bulky cabled hat, but the gauge here is 9 st per inch on size 13 needles...you might be able to get close if you increase your needle size. Otherwise depending on your gauge, you might be able to just use the Jiffy with the size 10 needles and add another panel repeat (another 9 stitches, so CO 57) since it's not quite as bulky as the yarn in the pattern.

Have you tried doing a gauge swatch in the Jiffy to see what you get?

NakedPancakes
12-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Oooh, That's a pretty hat.
I have size 11 needles..? Not 10's or 13's though. =[

I've not knit a gauge swatch yet. If I were to knit one with size 11 needles, trying to figure out how many I would need to cast on for the hat pattern you just gave me, what would I do?

gardenmommy
12-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Since the Jiffy says 14.6 (which is a rather strange number anyway) per 4 inches, and usually you should to a gauge swatch a bit bigger than 4 inches, I'd try doing about 20 stitch swatch in stockinette with your size 11 needles and see what you get in your stitches per inch that way. Then we might be able to come up with something with altering one of those patterns. The superbulky green one doesn't give a specific size, but a guesstimate from the gauge given, it is about 21.3 inches around. (48 stitches divided by 9 stitches x 4 inches)

NakedPancakes
12-03-2006, 04:18 PM
It looks like 16 stitches is about 5.6 inches in stockinette.

Thank you so much for helping me, by the way! I've never really bothered with swatches and I've only tried cabling once, and it was just on a swatch. I've given up several times, but I might actually go through with it today. xD

NakedPancakes
12-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Hm..
16 divided by 5.6 is 2.857
2.857 times 22 is 62.857.
63 is divisible by 9.

Could I use 63 as my cast on number? Do you think that would fit well on a 22" headed person?

gardenmommy
12-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Your gauge is only about 0.5 stitch smaller than the original pattern. What do you get for your stitches per inch measuring just a couple inches in the middle of your swatch, not from the actual edge to edge?

Whatever multiple of 9 you use, you would want to add on 3 more stitches, two are probably for the selvedge (get seamed together) and one is for the K stitch between the pattern repeats. With 66 for you CO, I get a size of 22.75 inches (66/2.9). Although I think cabling tends to pull in a bit more than just regular stockinette too, so you may be okay with that. With 57 for a CO (54 + 3) I get about 19.7 inches around.

NakedPancakes
12-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I measured an inch and got about 3.5 stitches.
But multiplying that, I get 77.

So...I measured wrong the first time?

Anyways; Should I cast on 75 or 84?

Ughhh; I had already started. =[ Cast on too few.

Row 5: K *K P2 [K4] P2* K2 (right side) repeat from * to *
Row 6: P *P K2 [P4] K2* P (wrong side) repeat from * to *

On row 6, should it be p2 on the last part? Or...What?

gardenmommy
12-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Well 75 sts will give you about 21.4 inches and 84 will give you about 24. I guess it would depend on how much stretch the pattern has.

I do think that should be a P2, but you could e-mail the person who wrote the pattern to be certain.

NakedPancakes
12-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks. =]
I modified the first 4 rows to ribbing instead of plain knit so it would be stretchier if needed to be.

gardenmommy
12-03-2006, 09:34 PM
:thumbsup:

NakedPancakes
12-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Hehe. Thank you soooo much! I seem to have it all down. I couldn't have done it without you. =]