PDA

View Full Version : Sock yarn question...

Jan in CA
12-04-2006, 12:38 AM
I KNOW I've seen this question somewhere here, but when I did a search I came up blank after going back 5 pages. :??

What sock yarns do you use and recommend? I bought some Fortissima Colori Socka Color (that's what the label says) yarn and I'm making a pair of socks on size 3 needles. It isn't very soft yarn though. It might soften up some when washed, but I'm guessing that is just the way it is. What do you all use and love? And is it sturdy?

Vendie
12-04-2006, 07:50 AM
I like Koigu, Socks that Rock, Lisa Souza, Artyarns Ultramerino4, Lorna's Laces...there are more that I haven't really tried but that I like the looks of - Claudia's hand painted, for example. I can't speak to the sturdiness of these yarns, b/c I've only finished one pair very recently, so I haven't had the time to really wear them.

Angelia
12-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Artyarns Supermerino is also loverly, as is Austermann Step (with Aloe and Jojoba--keeps your hands soft while you knit! :heart: ). Oh, and then there's Socks that Rock, which feels a lot like Artyarns Supermerino, only softer.

KellyK
12-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Jan, if this is your first pair of sockkies, I would try something a little thicker... like Sport/DK wt something. Lorna's Laces Shepherd DK is great, Socks that Rock medium wt, Cindy H's yarn (even her fingering wt can be knit on 2's) I think you might get a loose :eyebrow: fabric with the Socka on 3's. Im so PROUD of you for tryin them!!! :cheering:

Angelia
12-04-2006, 08:52 AM
The STR and Artyarns Supermerino are worsted weight. (Well, STR comes in different weights, but I prefer the bigger ones.)

I'm proud of you, too, Jan!!! After this first foray, you'll ALWAYS have socks OTN! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Emeraldcutie
12-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I fell in love with Cherry Tree Hill.
Also Like the Stepp stuff with the Aloe in it. It feels really nice, and I can't say enough about the Merino at Kemps site (divaknitting) . I knit a pair of socks with it in the summer and they get worn on a weekly basis (I even washed and dried them) and they fit like a glove :)
The only sock yarn I tried and was dissapointed was Lana Grossi (excuse spelling, I got 2 balls and it knits nothing like I thought it would, it makes my hands itchy using it, my next must try is Wildefoot)
I guess the best advise, knit a tighter guage then you think you need, cause if it's a looser guage you feel like you are walking on little stones in your shoes.

Try everything once :)

Jan in CA
12-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the great yarn choices to look at! I printed them out so I won't forget.

This is actually my second pair of socks, but the first ones weren't so good and I used Knitpicks Parade which isn't soft either. I think these might be a little loose so I may frog before I've gone too far and start over.

Thanks for the help! :hug:

Angelia
12-04-2006, 05:34 PM
:hug: :hug:

Jan's got a li-ist! Jan's got a li-ist! :teehee:

I don't like Parade either; it feels awful! I gave up on my Parade sock about at the heel because I realized I'd never wear something that rough. It might soften in the wash, but that's a lot of work to put into something unwearable.

dustinac
12-04-2006, 05:52 PM
I fell in love with Cherry Tree Hill.
Also Like the Stepp stuff with the Aloe in it. It feels really nice, and I can't say enough about the Merino at Kemps site (divaknitting) . I knit a pair of socks with it in the summer and they get worn on a weekly basis (I even washed and dried them) and they fit like a glove :)
The only sock yarn I tried and was dissapointed was Lana Grossi (excuse spelling, I got 2 balls and it knits nothing like I thought it would, it makes my hands itchy using it, my next must try is Wildefoot)
I guess the best advise, knit a tighter guage then you think you need, cause if it's a looser guage you feel like you are walking on little stones in your shoes.

Try everything once :)

I just ordered some Cherry tree hill.. I can't wait to get it... and I'm really curious about the yarn with aloe in it... does it help with winter dry feet?

I've tried Patons kroy its ok.. I like to use these for socks... wild foote, Regia, Kps Gloss, Kps Essential solids, and something from my LYS that I can't find the label grr... I don't knit these on 3s but I like Paton's wool for socks too.. my dad's are turning out soo soft

Calamintha
12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Trekking. The colorways are wonderful.