PDA

View Full Version : OT - Anybody have fun and/or good news to share?

cookworm
12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
It's been kind of a crummy day. Does anybody have any good news to share, or a funny story?

brendajos
12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
i have a gross story that should NOT be shared so i won't. It shouldn't have been laughed at either, but i couldn't help it! :roll:

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT I must say, that is a verrrrrrrrrry cute picture you have put up there! veddy veddy adorable!

Chel
12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Sorry its been a crummy day. :hug:

I can tell you the stupid and embarassing thing that happened to me Sunday morning.

I was asleep and having a dream that I was walking in the woods with my co-worker. As we walked along the path we came to a hill. I ran right up the hill and my foot got caught on a root at the top. I fell face first onto the downward slope of the hill. My co-worker, right behind me, tripped on my foot which was still caught on the root and she fell face first into the dirt beside me. I took one look at her and busted out laughing. In the dream I laughed so hard in fact, that I woke myself up in real life-but the sound I was making wasn't a laugh. It came out sounding like some sort of goat/monkey noise.

My mom rushed into the room thinking I was choking.

Embarassing. :oops: But comical.

CarmenIbanez
12-04-2006, 01:57 PM
How about UCLA won and USC lost? That is excellent news. Also, I am going bowling all day on a field trip. Oh and I finished the back of my latest sweater this weekend. And, um, well, I think that's it.

horve1
12-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Good news category: My son was accepted at the college he wants to attend next year!

Sorry your having a bad day. :grphug:

CarmenIbanez
12-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Good news category: My son was accepted at the college he wants to attend next year!
:

YAY!

mulene
12-04-2006, 02:02 PM
It's Monday - Mondays are always bad days =P The best thing about them? Four more days till the weekend :hug: :hug: hope your day gets better

GennyLynn1962
12-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Ok, my ds is gonna kill me but...

He was sitting at our computer with the speakers off, and he came to me and said he heard someone say "help me". (in a high pitched voice). I just laughed and didn't think much about it. A little later he was still sitting there and I was also in the room and he said he heard it again. ( at this point I'm beginning to wonder if the kid had lost it). So I turn off the TV and listen, I don't hear anything. Then he says he heard it once more. I looked around to see if I could figure out what was going on.

It was the sound of "smileys" on the site he was on coming through the earphones hooked to the computer that were laying on the computer desk.

:roflhard:

brendajos
12-04-2006, 03:17 PM
:teehee: Yahoo has an audible in their IM program that yells "Hello! I know you're there! I can seeee yoooooou!'

i have been doing that to my mother whenever i see her online for a while now, knowing it would freak her out. well she has never been sitting there so she didn't hear it. A couple of weeks ago she was and it scared the bejeebers outta her AND the dog...lol

sadly, she has now figured out how to do them herself and just can't leave them alone...lol

SabrinaJL
12-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, we just moved here about a month ago (really tiny conservative town) and my daughter hates the school. She's a weird kid and totally going through a rocker/goth phase. The school has told her that she's not allowed to wear anything with skulls on it (which annoyed me considering I spent a considerable amount of time knitting her a skull scarf), black nail polish, fingerless gloves, etc... None of these rules are in the dress code in the handbook.

I told her I'd go down there and talk to the principal about it today. I didn't think it would do a darn bit of good, but I wanted the kid to know that I've got her back. After a lively debate, the principal decided they really didn't have a good reason for these rules and started typing up a memo to send out to the teachers saying these things would now be allowed. I am SOOOO going to be someone's hero this afternoon. :happydance:

Denise in Michigan
12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
This happened just last night:

I had never bid on eBay, never even visited the site, but I have wanted one more camel and an angel for our Nativity scene for a long time--and I found them and a sweet gentleman on eBay!

I've had the set for about 25 years, and the statues were discontinued many years ago. Due to their style and finish, I've never been able to locate a third camel and an angel that would come close to matching till I found these. I think my guardian angel must have guided my fingers on the keyboard!

After the purchase, I wrote to the seller: "Thank you so much for making these items available! They will be used in our family's Nativity scene for many years to come, and we will treasure them! We'll think of you each year at the holidays when we see the angel and camel...you are an angel! Merry Christmas!"

He replied:"I am glad that someone will enjoy these special pieces. I have had them many years, while my children were growing up. Through the years several pieces were broken. Going through my treasures this year I realized I only have the camel and angel left. Time to find them a new home. Thank you for your bids and Please enjoy these for many many years to come. Enjoy both pieces and have a blessed Christmas."

I am so thankful!

projectgal
12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
The school has told her that she's not allowed to wear anything with skulls on it (which annoyed me considering I spent a considerable amount of time knitting her a skull scarf), black nail polish, fingerless gloves, etc... None of these rules are in the dress code in the handbook.

I sometimes wonder where some of these "rules" come about. My brother was sent home from MS one day for wearing toast to school and then arguing (respectfully) there was nothing in the school handbook that said anything about wearing toast.

I taught middle school long enough to know that kids can learn with black finger nail polish or even toast around their neck! There are really bigger issues in the world.

brendajos
12-04-2006, 04:26 PM
:?? toast....as in crispy bread? was the purpose so that he could say that there was nothing in the handbook against it? whatever reason, I am amused.

Schools do have enough to battle, and yes, I suppose it can be distracting for others but it hardly seems worth it to try to fight that battle, and could lead to a fairly interesting discussion with the kids.

I had a sociology teacher in high school who was always trying to get us to practice some civilized deviance. His issues, for us of course...lol, were that we had a curfew imposed on us because of the actions of someone who was over the age of 18 and not effected by the curfew, and the fact that we had toilet paper that literally came out of the dispenser 1 sheet at a time (they really were single sheets) He never did get us to protest but I would have totally dug that!...lol

cookworm
12-04-2006, 04:28 PM

:woot: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

cookworm
12-04-2006, 04:30 PM
It was the sound of "smileys" on the site he was on coming through the earphones hooked to the computer that were laying on the computer desk.

:rofl: How old is your son? That's a cute story. I can TOTALLY see my son doing the same thing, all serious-like and concerned! :rofl:

cookworm
12-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I am SOOOO going to be someone's hero this afternoon.

It's nice to be a "hero" once in a while, isn't it? I find that as a mom, it's always my fault for whatever's going on in the world--fire, earthquake, flood...mom must be guilty somehow! :teehee: I'm not sure why schools get all controlling about personal expression. :!!!: I'm all for rules that prohibit violent, derrogatory, or profanity on clothing and if it's a safety issue, but why should anybody care if your daughter wears black and skulls? Who or what is she hurting??? I went through the same phase in high school. It's so hard for kids when they move. I hope things get better for her soon. And have a great afternoon and take the "hero" status for everything you can! :teehee:

cookworm
12-04-2006, 04:38 PM
i have a gross story that should NOT be shared so i won't. It shouldn't have been laughed at either, but i couldn't help it!

Now that's just a teaser! You HAVE to share the story with all of us!!!!

cookworm
12-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I had never bid on eBay, never even visited the site, but I have wanted one more camel and an angel for our Nativity scene for a long time--and I found them and a sweet gentleman on eBay!

Denise, this is just too weird--it was totally meant for the two of you to find each other!
==============================================
Thanks everybody for your posts. I am bummed out about things I totally can't control, which I know I shouldn't let get me down. You can either control something or not, and if not, then you just accept it and move on, right? But sometimes it gets kind of overwhelming. I just needed some funny and happy stories to pull me out of this blah.

brendajos
12-04-2006, 04:42 PM
nooooooooo I told Dustina and some other friends and got scolded for sharing that story too close to lunch time...lol

dustinac
12-04-2006, 04:57 PM
:teehee: believe me its :ick:

good news.. hmmm.... I always get excited when its time to decorate for Christmas :rofl: my house is done and now we get to do all the fun Christmas activities... :cheering:

Congrats horve1 thats wonderful!!!

I'm excited about getting the options for Christmas too :teehee:

Limey
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Cookworm

Next time you feel a crummy day coming on, could you give me a bit of notice please - then I can try and be prepared for anything or else go to my mother's for a few days (no computer)

What do we have so far? - somebody having a dream which ended with them making such grotesque noises they scared their Mum half to death.

Somebody doing battle over black fingernails and a skull scarf - talking smileys freaking out both sons and moms.

Somewhere in this lot appear an angel and a camel and somehow (I REFUSE, AM NOT, DEFINITELY NOT, 10 TIMES OVER, GOING TO ASK HOW THE HELL DO YOU WEAR TOAST!)

Do you realise the only thing touching 'normality' here is someone getting accepted for college!?

Then people say the English are eccentric!

I'm sorry you've had a crummy day but you sure brightened up my evening.

All the Best
Limey

:eyes: :noway: :whistle: :chair:

ebrperk
12-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Well I have had crummy days so maybe this will cheer you up. Friday or Saturday night I took a shower right before going to bed and didn't bother with putting on pajamas because I was tired. My three year old came in the next morning wanting something and when I got out of bed she informed me that I couldn't go to bed naked.

Krystal
12-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Do you realise the only thing touching 'normality' here is someone getting accepted for college!?

Here's some normality for you, my fiance and I have decided on a date and a place, and an officiant for our wedding. Only clothes are left. Unless of course we just run off and elope some time this summer...

:happydance:

snowbear
12-04-2006, 08:41 PM
hmmmmmmmmm let's see. Found out at work bad news. x 3!. Daughter being pregnant called me Friday, Saturday & Sunday to talk since hubby was working.

2yr old granddaughter got her foot caught and almost broke the fish tank

My car started!@@@@!!!!! even w/ the very low single digits weather...a very very very good thing

I have a place to work, sleep and food in the house.

My cat is upset that I won't open the lid to the fish tank...
hmmmm does that help? lol

hang in there.. :hug:

been there hun

gimmesanity
12-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Well I have had crummy days so maybe this will cheer you up. Friday or Saturday night I took a shower right before going to bed and didn't bother with putting on pajamas because I was tired. My three year old came in the next morning wanting something and when I got out of bed she informed me that I couldn't go to bed naked.

OMG, this made me totally LOL.

It reminded me of last week, when I was getting dressed and DD walked in (she's 20 months old.) She pointed to my bbs and said, "Momma, nip-oes, ewww!"

We can thank daddy for teaching her that one. :roll:

dustinac
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
:rofl: :roflhard:

I know one time I went to shave my legs in the shower... shaved them.. got out.. went to put my lotion on and felt the stubbies.. thought Humpf bad razor.. then realized I had shaved with the protective cap on :doh: :roflhard:

BinkyKat
12-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I had a good belly laff last week, as dh and i settled in to bed to watch news before sleepy time. he works as a garbage man and the cold weather us a bummer for him, he works so hard. The poor guy just wanted me to massage his tired arms so i grab him by the wrist and start shaking his hand making it flop back and forth. Then I take his flopping hand and start "slapping" him with his own hand. My brother used to make me do that..."make a fist, but make your wrist loose" he'd say and then while beating me with my own fist he'd yell "why are you hittin' yourself?" over and over! I did this to poor matt and almost wet the bed in the process. he was laughing too hard to make me stop!
Laughing like that is good medicine! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

hunterjenn
12-04-2006, 11:21 PM
LOL

I already shared in another post, but we just closed on our construction loan--yay! Visions of my new kitchen are dancing in my head...

ALSO, I had a Pyrex dish EXPLODE on me last Friday!! That was exciting!! :O

cookworm
12-04-2006, 11:36 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

cookworm
12-04-2006, 11:37 PM
LOL

I already shared in another post, but we just closed on our construction loan--yay! Visions of my new kitchen are dancing in my head...

ALSO, I had a Pyrex dish EXPLODE on me last Friday!! That was exciting!! :O

WONDERFUL!!!!!! (about the construction loan, that is) About the Pyrex dish--I'm sorry about that--I hope you didn't get hurt! I've got so many cooking incidents, they could fill up a book. I'm a stay-at-home mom, and each time I get "injured on the job", I ask my husband if I can collect workman's comp. He doesn't think it's very funny. :teehee:

cookworm
12-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Then people say the English are eccentric!

Hi Limey! We Americans are kind of weird in our own ways too, which I didn't realize until I met two families from abroad and they would ask me questions about things here that I thought were very "normal" and "routine" (but I guess aren't everywhere else). Don't let anybody try to fool you...we're eccentric, too! :teehee:

cookworm
12-04-2006, 11:43 PM
It reminded me of last week, when I was getting dressed and DD walked in (she's 20 months old.) She pointed to my bbs and said, "Momma, nip-oes, ewww!"

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Too funny! The BEST part is when they see you naked and make comments about body parts is to tell them, "And some day, YOU will have the SAME THINGS!" and watch how they freak out and get grossed out! They think that somehow, they'll stay kids forever and that "horrifying" adult body will never be their fate! (What goes around comes around though...I remember thinking the same thing when I saw my mom naked once!) :oops:

cookworm
12-04-2006, 11:51 PM
"why are you hittin' yourself?"

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Oh my gosh--we used to do the SAME thing to my brother when were were little!!!!! My twin sister and I would double team him and do this. Now I do it to my son, and he likes it. He doesn't have any brothers to roughhouse with, so he likes it when his dad and I roughhouse with him.

I know one time I went to shave my legs in the shower... shaved them.. got out.. went to put my lotion on and felt the stubbies.. thought Humpf bad razor.. then realized I had shaved with the protective cap on
Hmmm....can't say I know anybody else who's done this... :shifty: :oops: :teehee: (guilty as charged)

Here's some normality for you, my fiance and I have decided on a date and a place, and an officiant for our wedding. Only clothes are left. Unless of course we just run off and elope some time this summer...
Yay, Krystal!!! :woohoo: That's great news!

hunterjenn
12-04-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm a stay-at-home mom, and each time I get "injured on the job", I ask my husband if I can collect workman's comp. He doesn't think it's very funny. :teehee:

Me too! Being a SAHM has its definite risks, eh?? I swear, sometimes it was easier to work full time! (And more lucrative, but then who had time for shopping??) :happydance:

I didn't get hurt by the way, but I had a serious glass/potatoes au gratin mess to clean up!!

hunterjenn
12-04-2006, 11:57 PM

We can thank daddy for teaching her that one. :roll:

:roflhard: I have a good one, too--my almost-4-year-old came in while I was on the potty today (no privacy!) took a good hard look at me and thoughtfully said, "Mommy? Do you have a GI-ANT bum??"

LOL--man do I miss the days when I could pee in peace!!

cookworm
12-05-2006, 01:10 PM
but then who had time for shopping??) :happydance:

--and when to find time for knitting, too? :teehee:

man do I miss the days when I could pee in peace!!
You don't get to--you're a mom! :teehee: Being a mom is like a scary movie where no matter where you go...they seek you out and find you! :rofl:

ebrperk
12-05-2006, 01:32 PM
I so understand the no peace thing. I think I am looking forward to the day when all three are in school and I can go to the restroom without having someone bother me. Why is it the dad never has this problem?

hunterjenn
12-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Why is it the dad never has this problem?

:roflhard: The one time my husband did have company, he totally freaked out--I laughed so hard! Big deal, you know!? But at least he taught the kids about "privacy!" :rofl:

Being a mom is like a scary movie where no matter where you go...they seek you out and find you!

SOOOOO TRUE!! :roflhard:

Chel
12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Well I don't have kids... I have cats. And any time I have to go to the bathroom, there they are, all 3 of them following me in. And they like to stare. Intently. While you do private things.

:wall:

figaro
12-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I have kids and a cat so I understand all of you! Although the cat, if I do not shut the door all the way (most of the time when its just me and kids), she must follow me, I figure its cause she has me catptive, you know, sitting down and all, so that I have to pet her! :wink: The kids, so far do not have a problem following me around anymore, well that may change as the baby is walking everywhere now.

Denise in Michigan
12-05-2006, 07:21 PM

Denise, this is just too weird--it was totally meant for the two of you to find each other!

Yep! Absolutely meant to be!

SabrinaJL
12-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Figaro, my cat is the exact same way. And if I happen to go in there without him and actually close the door, he sticks his paws under it, scratches at it and cries.

limey, it wasn't exactly the skulls and black nails I was doing battle over, it was my kid's right to be who she wants to be. If it were butterflies and pink nails that were banned for arbitrary reasons, I'd have done the same thing. :)

yeah_im_crazy
12-05-2006, 11:24 PM
about schools making stupid rules.....at ours we cannot wear tank tops, which i understand, but we cannot wear them over a t shirt, or under a shirt, or under a sweat shirt....even if you cannot see the straps! and we cannot wear any hats even on cold days, unless you buy one from the school with our logo on it(they just want your money)...and our belts cannot have stud on them even if they are blunt...and the belts cant be longer than 3 inchs past your waist size(do you know how small that is?!?)...and no heel shoes...and no bandanas rolld up like headbands or worn like those little cheerleader kerchiefs of whatever you call them...no raiders uniforms(some gang thing i guess) or ANY sports uniforms, even if you wear a t shirt under....no pajama bottoms (this is my least favorite rule) and so many more........erghhh.....and then in high school there is NO dress code so most kids go crazy and overdo it.

humblestumble
12-06-2006, 01:53 AM
My boyfriend went to the restroom to relieve himself and there are three kittens living in there. Well, they are getting to be more friendly, and one of them likes to hop onto the toilet seat when it's down and then it hops onto the counter...Well, as you know, men lift the seat all the way. Needless to say, the kittie jumped in the pee pool. :roflhard: I had to wash him off in the sink. Poor kittie. We sure did have a laugh though.

HamburgKnitter
12-06-2006, 04:09 AM
OMG, this thread has been hilarious!

And just when I wanted to add my own 2 cents about not having privacy in the restroom because I have cats (and not kids)...everybody else chimed in and said the same thing! :roflhard:

My good news? Well, I don't know if it's "good" news, since it is very bad for my bank account: I found the LYS of my dreams! It's not exactly "local" since it's all the way on the other side of town (and Hamburg is a huge city)...but they have wonderful stuff and the folks there seem very nice and helpful. :heart:

Oh, and my cat Jasmine got a clean bill of health at her yearly check-up on Monday. Having another, elderly cat with Chronic Renal Failure, this is always a reason for me to celebrate. :happydance:

I hope this thread has made you forget your crummy day!

humblestumble
12-06-2006, 05:18 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with cats in the bathroom!

Speaking of good news... this isn't official or anything, but my boyfriend and I have been talking about being engaged and getting married. We are not at all engaged at the moment, but I got so excited because he told me that he couldn't sleep! He said he got so excited talking about that that he was just so happy he couldn't sleep because he was thinking of how the future would be. He actually said he doesn't want to be engaged for at least another year, though if not more....I don't understand. Oh well. I'm really thinking of getting him a promise ring...silly boy.

snowbear
12-07-2006, 12:03 AM
I live alone w/ one cat. Since I brought her home 2 yrs ago, I can only go to the bathroom if it is in the middle of the night, and I'm quick.. otherwise she has to come in.. she wakes up whereever in the house she is in and comes in.. There are times I really want privacy, but if I try to close the door she goes nuts.

When my daughter & her hubby & daughter were down, he went to the bathroom, unknowing the cat had followed him into their bedroom where there is a connecting bath... He was uh hmm as Gibbs says" unhydrating himself", when she brushed against him, He was wearing shorts... lol He had to clean the bathroom!!

The cat ran,, and my daughter & I lol till we cried!

brendajos
12-07-2006, 01:09 AM
I had a couple of kitties several years ago (they went to live on the farm with my momma and dad when I moved) named Scarlet and Caspar. Those rotten kitties, of course, loved being in the bathroom but they were all about the sink. They would come running in when I headed that way and jump on the toilet lid up to the sink and wait for me to turn the water on. Well one time Scarlet didn't come in with me and Caspar...apparently she was occupied. :shrug: Just as I was ...finishing...and standing up I saw her come tearing around the corner realizing she was missing out on time to play in the sink. So I am standing there with my shorts around my knees trying to make a decision in lightening quick time on how to deal with what was about to happen. As much as my instinct was to try and drop the toilet lid before she got there, I couldn't help but picture her getting her little head crushed as it came down so I really had no choice but to let it happen. In she went into the toilet that had NOT been flushed yet. :doh: Of course she immediately went flailing out of it and taking off out of the bathroom into my apartment, so I am trying to finish pulling up my shorts while chasing after her trying to avoid any more pee than necessary getting all over my apartment. Yeah she was just as pleased about the bath she got after that too! Poor silly kitty!

SabrinaJL
12-07-2006, 01:17 AM
brendajos, that story had me :roflhard:.

My mom's cat had kittens and she gave one of the kittens to a friend. The friends boyfriend was taking a shower and had let the kitten into the bathroom. The kitten decided that dangly things were meant to be played with. Yikes.