PDA

View Full Version : A growing hat question

Alice's Restaurant
12-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I finished a hat for my daughter this weekend (sorry, no pictures on this computer). It turned out great, and she loves it. So, that's the good news.

But, it's growing! It fit her well when I first put it on her. Now, three days later, it's drooping over her eyes. I've never had this happen before.

I used a Lorna's Laces superwash, and I've never knit with superwash before--could that be part of the problem?

Does anyone know how I can fix it? Obviously I can frog and re-knit at a smaller guage and hope for the best, but I'm hoping for another solution. Could washing it help?

janelanespaintbrush
12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Yeah, see what happens when you wash it. If that doesn't work, is it the sort of hat that has a cuff that you could fold up?

Alice's Restaurant
12-05-2006, 10:57 AM
It's a rolled brim (plain stockinette), so, I don't think so.

I love your avatar janelane's. DD calls them "Grommit and his daddy".

janelanespaintbrush
12-05-2006, 11:05 AM
It's a rolled brim (plain stockinette), so, I don't think so.

I love your avatar janelane's. DD calls them "Grommit and his daddy".

Thanks. ;) Your DD is too cute!

Hm. If it's stockinette, I wonder if you could unravel a few rows and then bind off again, a bit higher up. It would be a shame if you had to reknit the whole thing. Or, maybe you could fold the edge under a bit and secure it like a hem. Well, hopefully washing will be all it takes.

Alice's Restaurant
12-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

I could try shortening it if washing doesn't work, but it seems to be growing in circumference.

I guess I could add a seam, but that just seems silly after knitting a hat in the round!

Does anyone know if this is typical of superwash?