PDA

View Full Version : Lace in chunky yarn?

Momma_Jo
12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Is this doable? What I want is a 4-8 row lace pattern as a sweater yoke. I'm knitting a ribbed sweater on size 15 needles and super-bulky yarn...I want the body to be in the k2p2 rib, then several rows of lace right where I join the sleeves, then rib again leading onto a turtleneck collar. Is a simple lace pattern feasible with yarn that big, or are the S2KPs and K2TOGs going to look too bulky and crooked?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-05-2006, 02:03 PM
do you have enough extra yarn where you could swatch it out, and see what it looks like?

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I did a wavy lace pattern with Panache yarn which is chunky. It looked okay. I think you can do it, it is going to be finding the right stitch and swatching it out that will make the difference.

candicane
12-05-2006, 02:21 PM
I am doing a sweater in a pattern of:

Row 1: YO, K2tog
Row 2: purl

I don't think it really counts as "lace" but gives you an open diamond pattern. I am using Elann's Brushed Alpaca. It is polar weight and fuzzy. Was afraid if I did the sweater in stockinette I might melt inside of it. I think it looks pretty good so far.

Candice

suzeeq
12-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Or you could try a feather and Fan pattern. There's a sweater in Creative Knittingon the cover of November 2006 that uses it with bulky yarn and larger needles.

sue