PDA

View Full Version : dopey sock question

boyforpele13
12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
i am way behind on posting dopey questions! here's today's. ;)

socks in 100% wool (not superwash,) merino/silk blends, i.e. Gloss from KP, and other nonwashable feltable combinations of fiber... how do they wear? The yarn rep for malabrigo told us a story of it felting while in a box in the back of his car just from the movement of the car and sunshine so i'm thinking 100% merino socks on my toasty from 100% merino wool feet trodding around in some birkenstocks or leather clogs.... hmmm. are those luxury unwashable sock yarns more for occasional wear or what's the story?

thanks! :)

losnana
12-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I made a pair for me from 100 % worsted wool-not superwash, not merino. I don't remember which brand it was, but something I've used before with good results. I handwashed, and had no problem with felting. But I now have a huge hole in one heel. From wear. I'll post a picture later. I thoroughly enjoyed wearing them, because they were so very warm. For my next pair I'd be interested in whether there is a worsted made especially for socks. for myself, I want the heavier ones. Mostly I wear them at night with my slippers to keep my freezing feet warm. I'd love to hear any suggestions.

losnana
12-05-2006, 10:49 PM
These are the pictures of my poor socks.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/losnana/holeysock.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/losnana/holeysock2.jpg

Old Knitter
12-06-2006, 09:03 AM
You could try picking up the stitches under the heel flap, then a few on each side and try to re-live the heel turn....you could seal it to the bottom of the sock with kitchener.

I've never done this yet myself, but I know the time is coming I'm going to have to figure out how....no wonder all our grandmothers had darning to do in the evenings....

losnana
12-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks. I'll try this and let you know how it works. After Christmas probably.

knitwit
12-06-2006, 03:44 PM
i'm curious to hear the feedback on this one..... i knitted my first pair ever of socks with a knitpicks yarn and the heels felted after wearing them once. I still wear them though ......