PDA

View Full Version : OT - Thesis submitted!

iza
12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I submitted my Ph.D. thesis! :cheering: 7 years of suffering finally ending... Whew! Well I guess there's a bit of suffering left with the defence and final submission... :doh:

Still, I think I will "reward" myself by going home and... knit! xxx oh and I'll get some champagne too... :clink:

CarmenIbanez
12-06-2006, 12:49 PM
YAY!!! Just don't knit drunk. I've tried it and I always have to frog it.

Let's sheee, knit 2, purl 3, um, how many stitches was that? 6? 7? Knit 2, purl 6, wait is that 10 now, or 12?

mwedzi
12-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Congratualtions! :cheering: I'm so envious. I'm at the beg of my 6th year and haven't proposed yet. i wanna quit. You should definitely take time off and knit something fabulous. A degree cozy?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
congrats!!! I have 2 years left before mine!!!!

Ronda
12-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

Jan in CA
12-06-2006, 01:25 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: That's awesome! What is your Ph.D in?

AnreeAce
12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Congratulations!

gimmesanity
12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
:cheering: :cheering:

Congrats! Enjoy your drinks - you've earned it!

iza
12-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Awww thanks people.

Congratualtions! Cheering I'm so envious. I'm at the beg of my 6th year and haven't proposed yet. i wanna quit.

Ohhh do I ever understand... I went through so many frustrations... I won't tell you what to do of course, but sometimes all it takes is to hang in there and somehow it all turns out fine. :hug: Do you know this fabulous website, Ph.D. comics? http://www.phdcomics.com/ it's a hilarious comic strips about grad studies, and there's a forum too. You will realize that you are NOT alone!

That's awesome! What is your Ph.D in?
My degree is in electrical engineering, and I'm doing research in computer vision (i.e. playing with images and cameras). Yeah I know... it's not the most exciting field for most people. In general people's reaction when I tell them that is... "oh huh yeah well interesting" :rofl:

jhelanee
12-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Congratulations!!! :cheering:

I am just finishing up myself (defended successfully last weekend and my thesis is under final review by my committee now) and man does it feel good! :happydance:

Webigail
12-06-2006, 03:36 PM
My degree is in electrical engineering, and I'm doing research in computer vision (i.e. playing with images and cameras).

Congrats to you!!

I think your field IS fascinating.

You all inspire me to go back for my Ph.D.

janelanespaintbrush
12-06-2006, 03:45 PM
:muah: Congratulations! Kudos to you for your perserverence. I'm a grad school drop out, and proud of it! (Well, I'm not really proud of it, but I don't mind admitting it.) I went not too long after college, and was performing well, but I was just not enjoying it at all. Leaving was such a relief. A life of academia (which is where I was headed) was just not for me. Luckily not everyone feels that way. ;)

And computer vision does so sound like a fascinating area!

Here's a happy dance for you: :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::h appydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

aineepooh1
12-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I am Sooo glad you gu ys are posting this BECAUSE I am about 1year away from my Bachelor's and I want to GO to graduate school for my masters/

BTW: :cheering: :verysad: :cheering:
Kudos to you for your perserverance!!

callmesusan
12-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Whoa girl!! You rock! :cheering:

mwedzi
12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Awww thanks people.

Congratualtions! Cheering I'm so envious. I'm at the beg of my 6th year and haven't proposed yet. i wanna quit.

Ohhh do I ever understand... I went through so many frustrations... I won't tell you what to do of course, but sometimes all it takes is to hang in there and somehow it all turns out fine. :hug: Do you know this fabulous website, Ph.D. comics? http://www.phdcomics.com/ it's a hilarious comic strips about grad studies, and there's a forum too. You will realize that you are NOT alone!

I do know about that comic strip, though I don't read it often. Maybe I should. Of course grad school isn't for everybody, and not everybody can do it, so great respect to you for getting through and succeeding.

hedgehog
12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Congratulations!! It's a great feeling, isn't it?!! :cheering:

I submitted mine on a friday and then had a big blow-out party with my friends on the Saturday (it was a summer tradition, but we REALLY celebrated that year!). I was so relieved! I just remember sleeping a lot after i submitted it. Oh and i remember the feeling of FINALLY reading novels without the guilty feeling that i should be reading journal articles instead! It was the summer "The Order of the Phoenix" came out, which was my first guilt-free pleasure!

Enjoy your Christmas that is free of that Sword of Damocles! It's a whole new experience! :cheering: :clink:

-hh

Ariane100
12-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Whooohooo!!! Congratulations, you must be so relieved!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

resazurin
12-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Congragulations! :happydance:

I'm planning to do my master's next year...any tips on how to remain calm? Like did you ever use knitting as a way to relax ? :)

iza
12-08-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm planning to do my master's next year...any tips on how to remain calm? Like did you ever use knitting as a way to relax?

hmmm that's a good question... but pick a subject you really like, get a good supervisor and take time for yourselsf (i.e. knit! It IS the best way to relax) But 99% of people I know in grad studies had major frustrations at some point, it seems unavoidable unfortunately. When it happens hang in there, be patient, take it one day at a time and do what you have to do! :)