PDA

View Full Version : Where did/do you find larger doublepoint needles

aineepooh1
12-08-2006, 01:50 AM
I am seriously considering trying to make a sock or try the KAL Christmas stocking.. but I have only been able to find DPN in size 8 (the largest size) I have looked at different patterns and some have called for DPNS in size 9, 10, 11, or larger..
WHERE DO YOU FIND THEM??
:?? THANKSS :cheering:

cookworm
12-08-2006, 01:59 AM
They are hard to find!!! Even the LYS don't have much of a selection of larger DPN's, I'm not sure why. If it's a store solely devoted to needlework, I believe they should carry just about every size knitting needles and crochet hooks, but as it turns out, most of their DPN's were really tiny, like size 1's! I had to call around to several places and finally found the size 13's that I needed at a store that has a little of everything crafty (sewing, beading, knitting, etc.). You probably won't find them in the stores like Hobby Lobby, Michael's or Joann's. There might be a smaller craft store that caters to a little bit of everything craft-wise that might be a good place to try if you don't want to order on-line. I get frustrated because I hate ordering things like this on-line and paying a bunch for shipping and handling (almost as much as the item I wanted or even more sometimes), and then you have to wait to get your items. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Also, Amy has a video about how to make your own DPN's from dowel rods. I have done this myself for the very same reason you are frustrated (can't find the size that you need); maybe this can help too.

brendajos
12-08-2006, 01:59 AM
hmm...besides one set of Lion sized 10s that i found a long time ago at Hobby Lobby, I have gotten all of mine from LYS i believe.

misstialouise
12-08-2006, 02:05 AM
My Christmas stocking is on a circular... I've found it so much easier that way than trying to use the DPN's...

suzeeq
12-08-2006, 02:50 AM
I've occasionally seen dpns larger than 8s at the chain craft stores and at Walmart. Boye makes some, I believe. You might search for them on ebay.

sue

KellyK
12-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Chix carries Crystal Palace DPNs up to size 15...

nadja la claire
12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
I made my own.

Nadja xxx

candicane
12-08-2006, 10:19 AM
I have clover bamboos DPNs that are 10.5. I would like a set of 11s to do the sleeves of a sweater that I am working on.

candice

Stiney
12-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I got my size 13 DPN's at my LYS. They only had one brand though. (Usually they have several choices)

Julie
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
I know Brittany makes larger ones....I have them in size 10 :D

Elann has them in tons of sizes: Brittany (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Brittany+Birch+Double+Points&Cat=&ProductType=3&Count=13)

brendajos
12-08-2006, 10:56 AM
well i got this cool little pouch at LYS last night that has little slots for all my DPNs. I have a ridiculous number of 0s (which i have never used) through 3s and a ridiculous number of 8s. No 9s or 13s though....so i need to go shopping...heh

debb
12-08-2006, 11:04 AM
I just bought these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250053682256&rd=1&rd=1

Haven't used them yet, but they look and feel really nice.

jdee
12-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I found up to size 10.5 at a Joann Superstore in Dallas. I found some larger ones at a LYS in Chattanooga, TN, when we were on vacation, but I only bought size 11's. :?? What was I thinking? I should have known I'd never be able to find them again. :shrug: