PDA

View Full Version : YARN FREE DIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

nadja la claire
12-08-2006, 03:39 PM
My DH has put me on a yarn free diet and it's killing me. I have to use or somehow get rid of at least 5 or 6 skeins from my stash before I can get more. :pout: :verysad: :waah: :pout: :verysad: :waah: My LYS is having a sale on some really great yarn and I've had to turn up buying some Moda Dea Dream (one of the few acrylics that I really like) from Cherinec5. Oh the pain, Oh the humanity. What ever will I do? He just doesn't understand that just beause he thinks I have too much yarn doesn't mean that I do. I mean my stash only takes up 1 1/2 plastic storage containers and Molos del Uruguay is on sale and so what I don't have anything planned for it that doesn't mean I won't find something to make with it. Any way I promised I wouldn't get anymore yarn for a while. Oh well, sorry for whining.

Has anyone else had to do this? How'd you get through it?

Najda xxx

CarmenIbanez
12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Lie, cheat and steal.

When it comes to yarn, I am very BAD BAD person. I find ways to pay for yarn out of the account instead of my allowance. I'm horrible. Yarn is my crack. And when my husband complains I tell him to relax, at least it isn't shoes, drugs or other men! :shrug:

lauraknits
12-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Oh, the sadness!

I have learned to pay cash at my LYS so DH doesn't notice the expense and cant criticize me for it. :teehee:

He never looks at what I have so as long as I keep my big mouth shut!

Andrea
12-08-2006, 04:13 PM
when my husband complains I tell him to relax, at least it isn't shoes, drugs or other men! :shrug:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I say that too...but I leave out the "other men" part :eyebrow:

CarmenIbanez
12-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I say that too...

That's because great Andrea's think alike!

Angelia
12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
When I first started knitting, dh did not understand the concept of stash. Not at all. "You don't need yarn. You have some. Knit ____ and then get more."

Now, a year later, he's learned to live with stash because it makes living with me much more pleasant for him (I'm not a raving :!!!: ! :teehee:).

brendajos
12-08-2006, 04:31 PM
hrmm....well i suppose you COULD tell him that since he is cutting off your S.E.X. supply line that you could cut off his...*ahem* :teehee:

Andrea
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I say that too...

That's because great Andrea's think alike!

You're right!!!!

stitchwitch
12-08-2006, 04:39 PM
I married an "enabler"! :roflhard: If I see yarn and say "oh look how pretty!!!" he'll say buy it. He actually was touching some expensive cashmere at a yarn store on vacation one time when I first started knitting and said to me "I like this, you should buy it". :roflhard: I have to tell him I don't need stuff. He's pretty darn cool about the knitting habit. Of course, he's got his models trains, antique cars, mountain bike stuff, etc. and all I have is my knitting so it's not that big of a deal compared to his expensive hobbies.

janelanespaintbrush
12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
My DH has put me on a yarn free diet and it's killing me. I have to use or somehow get rid of at least 5 or 6 skeins from my stash before I can get more.

Let's see... how to use up 5 or 6 skeins really fast? You could knit with several strands together to do a really chunky scarf or something. Then again, you could just send them my way... :teehee:

AnreeAce
12-08-2006, 05:55 PM
(I'm not a raving :!!!: ! :teehee:).

You're not? :??

Jan in CA
12-08-2006, 06:10 PM
I knit lots and lots of charity stuff to get rid of my excess stash. I still have some, but it's disappearing. I have to admit though that I'm not on a yarn free diet completely so I have been able to get a bit here and there. :teehee:

nadja la claire
12-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys, You've really cheered me up. :muah: :hug: I appreciate all the advice too. My DH is not an ogre and he has tried to understand my addiction but like most non-knitters it just doesn't make sense to him.

Thank you Jan for suggesting the charity knitting, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll start some stash busting projects after I finish the last of my X-mas gifts.
I've never been one to cut off sex, Brendajos, basically because I like it too. I hope thats not too much information. But if I get really desperate I may just have to.............well you know :teehee: .
I have used the shoes and drugs arguement, though I think I'll add the other men to that and see what happens.
I could use just cash but then I'd be breaking my promise. I guess that falls under the lie, cheat and steal catagory.

Thanks again :muah: :muah: :muah:

Nadja xxx

brendajos
12-08-2006, 07:35 PM
lol i wasn't suggesting it was a GOOOOOD idea....just another option.

of course there is another way to go with that....ummm...oh never mind... :teehee:

Mulderknitter
12-08-2006, 07:58 PM
My dh tried this tactic before with me with my other addiction, books. I have thousands of books. And i REFUSE to give any of them up. I just buy another bookcase and stick it somewhere or pile them on the floor. He tried telling me I had to get rid of some before I could buy anymore. HA HA HA HA HA :roflhard: I just hide the bags in the car until he's not home nad bring them in. we have seperate checking accounts though :happydance:

XbelovedXoneX
12-08-2006, 11:08 PM
My DH picks on my stash sometimes, but mainly because he finds it funny. My husband is a big cigar aficionado. He is also a member of a cigar of the month club. I love what he has been known to tell people when they ask how his wife likes him buying cigars... "I have my cigars and she has her yarn. We have an agreement." :rofl:

brendajos
12-08-2006, 11:12 PM
eh....not a fair trade! Your yarn doesn't smell like a foot! :teehee:

sittenknitten
12-09-2006, 02:43 AM
Just to take this in a different direction... the amount of your stash is quite conservative compared to many of us. He should be very grateful you have such a modest amount on hand! I, for one, have the entire guest bedroom closet full of yarn from floor to top shelf. 8 large plastic bins stacked neatly in there. Plus, ahem, 3-4 bags of projects lined up along one wall that are already planned and bagged with pattern and needles.

You are a mere neophyte when it comes to yarn stashing! :roflhard:

Liliyarn
12-09-2006, 03:00 AM
I too have an enabler. He cares not about my yarn. He is of the opinion that it is very inexpensive. Other women buy lots and lots of shoes. He says my yarn is much more productive. He feels that every person needs a hobby to keep them less idle and more creative. If I'm knittin' I'm not cheating ;-) I'm happy and I am making things. Plus he collects guitars and movies.

Although, he doesn't get the idea of having yarn and not knitting with it. He does get the stash though. So, we're all cool. No diets for me any time soon. As a matter of fact, I'm stopping by the LYS tomorrow just cuz.

Sissy
12-09-2006, 11:41 AM
:rofl: CARMEN,you are a very bad influence on the rest of us,shame on you teaching us bad things.Lie,cheat , steal......For yarn........Giggle :rofl:
SISSY THE INNOCENT

Jan in CA
12-09-2006, 01:15 PM
"I have my cigars and she has her yarn. We have an agreement." :rofl:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

My DH tends to buy art supplies which can cost at least as much as yarn so I'm pretty safe. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
12-09-2006, 01:23 PM
we have seperate checking accounts though :happydance:

We've been married for 15 years and we've only shared a checking account for the last year. People thought we were crazy, but we just have different financial styles, you know?

Mr. Carmen really doesn't care one way or the other because now that I knit more items for people he sees how much joy it brings me and other people. And we do save money on gift giving a lot!

ebrperk
12-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Nadja I totally understand about the sex thing. I wouldn't want to give it up either. I am sorry to hear about your yarn diet but have you thought of maybe selling or trading some of your stash that you might not ever use?

skNYC
12-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I totally can relate. My DH said the same thing about everything I buy. I can't shop for anything until I used or get rid of some of my stashes. Well, I shop anyway. I know he wouldn't throw my stuff away for real.

But, I have to admit, that I must stop shopping. The question is, how?

FluffyKnitter
12-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I am on both a fabric and yarn diet. The only stuff I can buy is to finish projects already in progress. I WAY OVERSPENT on needlecrafts this year, so I just had to take myself into hand. The credit card needs to get paid off. :verysad:

Currently, I have enough yarn to make 3 afghans, a sweater and 2 felted clogs plus the DNA scarf. Not to mention the Fuzzy slippers (already in progress), and Banff Sweater (also in progress) and at least 5 more pairs of socks (I've only ever made one pair and that was back in June). Oh, and I still don't have all the yarn to finish a crocheted afghan from the 2006 Crochet Calender. Gack...I hope they don't discontinue the colors I still need before March.

So, I'm not even GOING to the yarn store. Fortunately, they have no classes that are things I'm interested in at this time. I told my relatives that if they want me to make them something (those fuzzy scarves), they have to go and select the yarn. Amazing how that never happens! :muah:

nadja la claire
12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
I am on both a fabric and yarn diet. The only stuff I can buy is to finish projects already in progress. I WAY OVERSPENT on needlecrafts this year, so I just had to take myself into hand. The credit card needs to get paid off. :verysad:

Currently, I have enough yarn to make 3 afghans, a sweater and 2 felted clogs plus the DNA scarf. Not to mention the Fuzzy slippers (already in progress), and Banff Sweater (also in progress) and at least 5 more pairs of socks (I've only ever made one pair and that was back in June). Oh, and I still don't have all the yarn to finish a crocheted afghan from the 2006 Crochet Calender. Gack...I hope they don't discontinue the colors I still need before March.

So, I'm not even GOING to the yarn store. Fortunately, they have no classes that are things I'm interested in at this time. I told my relatives that if they want me to make them something (those fuzzy scarves), they have to go and select the yarn. Amazing how that never happens! :muah:

Poor baby, you need a hug :hug: :hug: :hug:

It is amazing how quickly people will change their minds when you tell them they have to supply the yarn :muah: :hug: :muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

suzq85
12-10-2006, 06:52 PM
I am totally lucky, my DH thinks I should buy everything related to yarn. He would buy me a yarn store, if we had the money. Aw,Shucks, being poor isn't shameful, only unhandy! I may be poor, but I get plenty! :X:

Shandeh
12-26-2006, 08:50 PM
My husband is a DEFINITE enabler when it comes to my knitting and spinning. He is very proud of it, too. He always comments to others about how much he supports my hobbies. :heart:

Oh, and I just heard about a new "knitting term" in an email today.
SAELE (Stash Accumulated Exceeds Life Expectancy) :teehee:

Angelia
12-26-2006, 08:54 PM
(I'm not a raving :!!!: ! :teehee:).

You're not? :??

Well, I am, but less so if he doesn't complain about my stash! :teehee:

meriellyn
12-27-2006, 03:14 PM
My BF is pretty enabling. Fellow knitters at the LYS are always quite jealous of my getting him in there. Once said her husband would literally stand on the porch and wait rather than enter the store!
He leans around the armful of yarn he's inevitably toting around for me and tells them "I'm just the 'holder' and financial backer." Hehe. I also use him to not look like I'm talking to myself when I'm shopping.
He got really excited when the last trip came out under $100. (Especially impressive since he got me the Denise set that trip.) I was amused, surprised, and relieved by his reaction to a $96 LYS receipt.
He also randomly ordered me a skein of Sea Silk because it was pretty. :D
I only have to consult him on the yarn purchases if he's buying but he does finance quite a bit of my habit since I'm a broke student. :P

If it were me, I'd probably give myself a strict limit on the sale, pay cash, and sneak the conraband in after hours. But don't listen to me. I'm bad.

Do the skeins only count as "used" if you totally finish the project? I'd start a bunch of hats 'n socks 'n what not so it'd look like stash reduction magically happened quickly. Of course, this only works if you usually have a gazillion things going at once. I do.

And of course, there's always the yarn swap. Great way to get a new yarn fix without spending actual cash.

meriellyn
12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
My BF is pretty enabling. Fellow knitters at the LYS are always quite jealous of my getting him in there. Once said her husband would literally stand on the porch and wait rather than enter the store!
He leans around the armful of yarn he's inevitably toting around for me and tells them "I'm just the 'holder' and financial backer." Hehe. I also use him to not look like I'm talking to myself when I'm shopping.
He got really excited when the last trip came out under $100. (Especially impressive since he got me the Denise set that trip.) I was amused, surprised, and relieved by his reaction to a $96 LYS receipt.
He also randomly ordered me a skein of Sea Silk because it was pretty. :D
I only have to consult him on the yarn purchases if he's buying but he does finance quite a bit of my habit since I'm a broke student. :P

If it were me, I'd probably give myself a strict limit on the sale, pay cash, and sneak the conraband in after hours. But don't listen to me. I'm bad.

Do the skeins only count as "used" if you totally finish the project? I'd start a bunch of hats 'n socks 'n what not so it'd look like stash reduction magically happened quickly. Of course, this only works if you usually have a gazillion things going at once. I do.

And of course, there's always the yarn swap. Great way to get a new yarn fix without spending actual cash.

nadja la claire
12-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh, how I envy you knitters who have been lucky enough to find enablers. I hate having to explain and justify every LYS or KP purchase but he's my honey and I fell in love with him long before I realized I was a knitter. I did order some Andean Silk when I ordered the KP sock kit for a friend for Christmas. I just couldn't help myself, but I didn't order alot. Does that count :??

Nadja xxx

Ravennwings
12-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a semi-enabler. He'll encourage me and nudge me and push me. but I know if I became too addicted, he'd say "you already have yarn! don't buy any more until you use it!"

blueeyes28
12-27-2006, 08:57 PM
My husband just bought an X-Box 360 so he basically gave up his right to criticise my spending it looks like there will be a lot of yarn in my future!!I can't even imagine paying 400.00 for a video game console and then the games are between 50.00 and 70.00 dollars each!

jberry16
12-27-2006, 09:59 PM
what if you were to hide 6 skeins in a grocery bag under the kids bes and then tell him you donated it to cherity knitting? ok that's bad...but it sounded like a good idea. My husband is into drag racing his mustang and that's an expensive hobby. He has tole me that it's good for everyone to have a hobby. He knows I wont spend rediculous amounts on yarn. I honestly have a hard time buying opal sock yarn for $15.00-that just seems so steep (and that's before the cost went up). We're on a strict budget with one small income and 2 kids-we have a joint checking account and bills are paid first and then other purchases are made-I make sure of it. Guess I wear the pants when it comes to money b/c he is a spender.

jberry16
12-27-2006, 09:59 PM
My husband just bought an X-Box 360 so he basically gave up his right to criticise my spending it looks like there will be a lot of yarn in my future!!I can't even imagine paying 400.00 for a video game console and then the games are between 50.00 and 70.00 dollars each!
now that's ridiculous!