PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a difficult time choosing yarn?

Anastasia Beaverhausen
12-10-2006, 11:35 PM
This is the most difficult part of knitting! I can't tell how soft a yarn will be just by touching the skein in the store and I'm terrified of ordering online! This is by far the most frustrating part of knitting. I feel like I'm asking ridiculous questions here when I ask for suggestions but I just feel so lost.

My local yarn stores (like joanns, michaels, hobby lobby, don't have cashmere and alpaca-everything is wool or crazy and fuzzy or totally synthetic. I only have 2 weeks left to make a scarf for my dad and I'm freaking out bc I don't know what to get :(

Mo0nAngel
12-10-2006, 11:44 PM
well I wouldn't know at all because where I live they only sell acrylic yarn :pout: and I can't order online at all....but lucky for you there's a website where you can find tons of yarn reviews: http://knittersreview.com/
But if you absolutely do not want to waste any more time you can always order some malabrigo which everyone says is super soft and heavenly to knit with :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2006, 12:44 AM
I *always* enlist fellow knitters when choosing colors....

Anastasia Beaverhausen
12-12-2006, 04:07 PM
moonangel, thanks for the great link!

Hildie, I hope choosing colors and color combos gets easier. I used to think I had good taste until I started knitting and can no longer seem to put colors together! lol

jdee
12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I've ordered online before, but like you, I prefer to see the yarn and touch it before buying.

My biggest problem is wanting too much. I'll pick up a skein of yarn, and show it to my husband, and tell him I want it. He'll then ask, "What do you want to make with it?" My reply is usually, "I don't know, I just want it." :roflhard:

five_six
12-12-2006, 07:56 PM
jdee wrote:

My biggest problem is wanting too much. I'll pick up a skein of yarn, and show it to my husband, and tell him I want it. He'll then ask, "What do you want to make with it?" My reply is usually, "I don't know, I just want it."

my problem too, and of course, since i never know what i want to knit with them, i have to pick up at least 10, just in case... :oops:

i have boxes and crates and bags under beds just full of yarn for the future... doesn't hubby just love me - NOT!!

Chrissie
12-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Have you looked at Patons Rumor? It's available at Michaels and probably the other places, too. It is an alpaca blend w/acrylic and it is SO soft and squishy. It is a bulky weight yarn. I would't order anything if this is for a Christmas present...you probably wouldn't have time to knit the present when the yarn comes.

psammeadred
12-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Have you looked at Patons Rumor? It's available at Michaels and probably the other places, too. It is an alpaca blend w/acrylic and it is SO soft and squishy. It is a bulky weight yarn. I would't order anything if this is for a Christmas present...you probably wouldn't have time to knit the present when the yarn comes.

Just what I was going to say! Another nice one from Michael's is Patons SWS. The Natural Navy colorway would make a good scarf (although it doesn't actually have any navy it it, per se). I made a hat out of it for my brother, and it turned out really well.

Eloewien
12-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Since we're on the subject of difficulty choosing yarn... I have a pattern that calls for artyarns regal silk, which there is no way I can afford http://www.anniemodesitt.com/patterns/#Corset

The yarns I have tried just aren't working-- I need something very soft, but not too stretchy. The Super Taj Mahal was too stretchy to have enough body to keep the shape. I ended up with a gorgeous shrug out of it... but now I need to find a new yarn to make this pattern- any thoughts?

nonny2t
12-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I think if you really feel lost, come here, tell what you are knitting and get suggestions about what type yarn to use for it. There is a lot of knowledge here and the ladies will guide you the right way!

Faye

Mulderknitter
12-13-2006, 10:09 AM
i have been using Caron's silky to make scarves for everyone this year. it's nice and soft, no dye lot and washable. Cheap too. I got it at Michaels', so you might be able to find it there too. :shrug:

mwedzi
12-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Since we're on the subject of difficulty choosing yarn... I have a pattern that calls for artyarns regal silk, which there is no way I can afford http://www.anniemodesitt.com/patterns/#Corset

The yarns I have tried just aren't working-- I need something very soft, but not too stretchy. The Super Taj Mahal was too stretchy to have enough body to keep the shape. I ended up with a gorgeous shrug out of it... but now I need to find a new yarn to make this pattern- any thoughts?

I know that Annie Modesitt corset without even clicking the link. It's beautiful. It might still be too expensive, but you might look into Debbie Bliss Pure Silk or the new Berger du Nord (sp?) 100% silk. The last is about 1/2 the price of the ArtYarns Regal Silk.

Eloewien
12-13-2006, 12:55 PM
It's a thought, and my LYS at least carries the debbie bliss. I'll look into that one. I just tried other yarns and they stretch too much

Anastasia Beaverhausen
12-13-2006, 11:11 PM
These are great ideas! Thanks everyone :)