PDA

View Full Version : help me alter this hat pattern please.

sewinhotmama23
12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I am a beginner, and have taught myself how to knit from the "easiest learn how to knit book ever" and am loving it. It has a great hat pattern that uses the stockinette stitch. and you basically knit a rectangle then decrease once you have about 8 inches knitted and the cinch it closed. Its really cute, and my little sister as well as I are loving our new hats.

Heres where I want to alter it for xmas presents for all the new babies in my family....

1. can I knit in the round instead of having to sew the rectangle afterwards?

2. Can I just decrease the amount of cast on stitches to make the circumfrance smaller? The adult size calls for 82, I tried it on my 4 month old, and while I like the way it looks on him, other familiy members might want it a little smaller...Could I decrease it to say 62 since its a fairly stretchy stitch? the other babies are 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 5 months, and 13 months.

3. Its a rolled brim hat, super cute for girls IMO, but I was thinking for the boys I might do the cable stitch of k2p2 that I recently have been making christmas scarves with. If I do so.. do I need to decrease the cast on even further since its stretchy also?

4. Last question! Since the adult size calls for k1 row p1 row for 8 inches, can I just k1row p1 row for say 5 inches for the smaller babies, and 6 inches for the older 2???

Thanks so much! I think Ive got it worked out in my head, just wanted some advice from experienced ones before I got started and have to unknit or unravel a whole bunch of work!

suzeeq
12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
1. can I knit in the round instead of having to sew the rectangle afterwards?

2. Can I just decrease the amount of cast on stitches to make the circumfrance smaller? The adult size calls for 82, I tried it on my 4 month old, and while I like the way it looks on him, other familiy members might want it a little smaller...Could I decrease it to say 62 since its a fairly stretchy stitch? the other babies are 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 5 months, and 13 months.

3. Its a rolled brim hat, super cute for girls IMO, but I was thinking for the boys I might do the cable stitch of k2p2 that I recently have been making christmas scarves with. If I do so.. do I need to decrease the cast on even further since its stretchy also?

4. Last question! Since the adult size calls for k1 row p1 row for 8 inches, can I just k1row p1 row for say 5 inches for the smaller babies, and 6 inches for the older 2???

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Maybe, depends on how stretchy the cable rib is. Usually cabling pulls in while ribbing stretches.

4. Yes

sewinhotmama23
12-12-2006, 05:27 PM
:happydance: Great! thanks for answering so fast! Im excited about being able to figure little things like this out for myself!

Off to finish the last scarf then whip up those ADORABLE hats! Maybe I get all the babies in one "show off " picture over the holiday!