PDA

View Full Version : Log Cabin Afghan

jdee
12-13-2006, 08:04 PM
I made this log cabin, from Mason Dixon Knitting, using Lion Brand Homespun yarn. I know homespun isn't a much loved yarn here. :teehee: But I like the way these colors look together.

ecb
12-13-2006, 08:37 PM
love it or hate it
its your choice
and its a beutiful afgan
its a wonderfully forgiving yarn with its offsetedness (I Know its not a real word, but it works)

I have never made anything that big
the very idea intimidates me

congrats
ecb

Jaxhil
12-13-2006, 09:00 PM
How pretty!

I made a Homespun afghan (ok more than one, and I'm working on a third for DH!) and it is sooooo soft! I made it for my DD, but she (being three :o) ) thinks its mine, since she saw me working on it, and she brings it to me repeatedly while snuggling it and going, "mmmmmmm"..LOL!! Personally, I love it -and for an afghan I can't afford the pricier yarns...and they do have such *beautiful* colors, too!

Anyway, great job!! :cheering:

Jan in CA
12-13-2006, 09:16 PM
It's beautiful!!

I don't like knitting with homespun, but it IS soft and the colors are gorgeous!

jberry16
12-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I made my first and only afghan w/ it & it was a diag pattern, but instead of being a square it ended up being a diamond shape-very elongated diamond-I'll have to try another aghan pattern...yours looks nice.

gardenmommy
12-13-2006, 09:19 PM
It's beautiful!

That one light color almost looks iridescent!

mks22300
12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
The colours are perfect together, it's just beautiful! :heart:

KnittyKitty
12-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Beautiful! And it looks so cozy! Great job! :cheering:

losnana
12-13-2006, 09:35 PM
That is gorgeous. I love the way Homespun feels, but I'm one who hates it, because of the way it unravels. How did you join a new ball?

ekgheiy
12-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Ooooo ... :drooling: ... The yarn doesn't really matter when the FO turns out so nice ;)

jdee
12-14-2006, 12:06 AM
That is gorgeous. I love the way Homespun feels, but I'm one who hates it, because of the way it unravels. How did you join a new ball?

In this pattern, you knit garter stitch for the amount of garter ridges called for, then bind off. Join the next color by picking up stitches along the edge of the block made. A chart tells which edge, and which color. Does that make sense? I'm not very good at explaining things sometimes.

jdee
12-14-2006, 12:08 AM
OH! And I want to thank everybody for the nice compliments. I can't believe I forgot. :blush:

Angelia
12-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Wow, that's beautiful! I love the snuggly-softness of Homespun, even if it is PITA to knit with!

blueeyes28
12-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Looks great I also love the feel and colors of homespun but I have a hard time knitting with seeing your afgan almost makes me want to attempt to use it again!!

nonny2t
12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Simply exquisite! I love it and in an afghan like this I think the Homespun is just right! You did a superb job of picking the colors!

AnreeAce
12-14-2006, 12:34 PM
That's gorgeous!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

MarDi
12-14-2006, 12:40 PM
I love it, the colors are just perfect!

ecuzzacrea
12-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Wow - that is really pretty. Great job!

ae
12-14-2006, 02:43 PM
that is just gorgeous. :heart:

JudyD
12-14-2006, 06:55 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

JudyD

PamJ
12-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Your afghan is beautiful! You have a great eye for color. It looks so warm and cozy.

I've been using Homespun to knit shawls for the Shawl Ministry at our church for two years and understand the problems people have experienced with it. I wonder if Lion Brand decided to do something about the quality, because after a break, I just started on a new shawl, and the yarn is so much better! Has anyone else noticed a difference?

My 5 year old granddaughter loved the crocheted scarf made from HS I was wearing last week and requested a blanket because it is so soft. They have a lot of pretty new colors, so I'll take her to the store to pick one out.

To join yarn, we were taught in the Shawl Ministry to thread a tapestry type needle with the new yarn and sew around the old yarn for several inches, making very small stitches. I usually start about 10 inches up on the old yarn and have enough tail on both pieces to tie a tiny knot at the beginning and end of the joined part to keep it very secure. Then I clip the yarn close to the knots. This seems to be the easiest way to join and avoid the fraying problem. It is slightly thicker for those couple of inches, but in the shawl, it doesn't show.

koolbreeze
12-15-2006, 07:45 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
:heart:
i want to do one of these so bad!

LittleGirlBusyBee
12-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Did you have to block it? if so, how do you go about doing it. I made an afghan (see 'Afghan for Dad') and the blocking sucked. A veteran who helped me out alot recommended I steam iron it, which will go better should I do it again. I couldn't get it even with it being so big and all. What do you recommend? Give me all the specs. PLEASE!!

psammeadred
12-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Very nice!

jdee
12-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I confess, I didn't block it. I hate to block large things, so I just washed it(it's 100% acrylic), and spread it out on the bed to dry.

Thanks everyone. I tried to hang it on a quilt rack, but the homespun is a bit too droopy for that. Plus, the cats pulled it down. :doh: