PDA

View Full Version : OT -- Calling all Swedish Bakers!!

DotMom61
12-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Anna? Margot? Kaar? Can any of you help me?!! :pray:

I am trying to make my Swedish Grandma's Pepparkakor recipe, and it just doesn't seem right to me. She uses molasses, butter, sugar, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, flour, baking soda & sweet cream. There are no eggs! Could this be right?

Oh, and somewhere the instructions for adding in the sweet cream got left out. I'm going to cool the molasses/sugar/butter mixture (which I cooked on the stove) then add the cream, then mix in the flour/spice mixture.

Do any of you have a favorite recipe that you like to use? I've gone ahead and started to mix this one up, but I'm afraid that my copy of the recipe has lost some ingredients somewhere along the way. :pout:

Ingrid
12-16-2006, 10:41 PM
I have a Swedish cookbook with a recipe:

Stir the syrup with sugar, spices and margarine or butter until well mixed. Whip the cream till frothy and stir into the batter, a little at a time. Dissolve the baking soda in a little water and add together with part of the flour. Cover the dough which should be quite firm, let stand till the following day.

Knead the dough, adding the remaining flour. Roll out a small part and bake a test cookie in a 175 to 200 degree oven (celsius). If the cookie spreads, add a litle more flour to the dough. Roll out the dough very thin and cut with cookie cutters.

There are no eggs in the recipe I have--if you want the ingredients, let me know.

DotMom61
12-17-2006, 01:15 AM
I have a Swedish cookbook with a recipe:

Stir the syrup with sugar, spices and margarine or butter until well mixed. Whip the cream till frothy and stir into the batter, a little at a time. Dissolve the baking soda in a little water and add together with part of the flour. Cover the dough which should be quite firm, let stand till the following day.

Knead the dough, adding the remaining flour. Roll out a small part and bake a test cookie in a 175 to 200 degree oven (Celsius). If the cookie spreads, add a little more flour to the dough. Roll out the dough very thin and cut with cookie cutters.

There are no eggs in the recipe I have--if you want the ingredients, let me know.

Ingy!! I've missed chatting with you.

Thank you for those very precise instructions. I forged ahead w/ what I had, and my batter was quite thin. I kept adding flour a little at a time, and it got a bit more stiff, and then I stuck it in the fridge.

I have a feeling it was a waste of good ingredients, and I'm going to have to do it all over again. <sigh> I'll follow your instructions next time ... and if you have a few minutes, I would love to see the quantities they show in your recipe. Mine is a HUGE recipe (4-1/2 C flour).

Ingrid
12-17-2006, 10:02 AM
This recipe makes about 500 cookies. :shock: I'll let you do the math. I guess Swedes love their Pepparkakor!

1 1/2 c syrup
1 3/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tbs ginger
1 1/2 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs cloves
12 oz. margarine or butter
1 1/2 c whipping cream
about 3 lbs. 5 oz. flour
1 tbs baking soda

DotMom61
12-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Well, this has exactly the same ingredients as my recipe! :cheering: The "technique," however, has gotten lost somewhere along the way. I think it's 'cause Grandma just made it from memory and never actually used a recipe.

Ingrid, thank you!! I will print off the new & improved instructions & use them *next* time I make these. I will, however, be using MUCH smaller quantities! :lol:

Ingrid
12-17-2006, 06:51 PM
:shrug: You're not willing to make 500 cookies? :rofl:

DotMom61
12-17-2006, 07:57 PM
If I weren't so tired from kneading, rolling, cutting and baking for the past 2 days, I would post a witty reply. :tap:

Even with "only" 4 cups of flour, it's taking FOREVER to bake these stoopid things. :wall:

I just stuck the dough back in the fridge, and now I'm moving on to Oreo Truffles & perhaps Spritz

Ingrid
12-17-2006, 08:14 PM
:drool: :drool:

nonny2t
12-17-2006, 08:48 PM
They sound yummy! Good luck with them! You are a good egg, Ingrid! Aren't you proud of me, Ingrid? I haven't ask you for more instructions lately! :rofl:

catownedanna
12-18-2006, 07:58 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Ordnade det sig?" = "Did it work out?"
_____

Julie! :waving:

I didn't see this until now... :pout: Did it work out for you?

Let me know if you want additional recipes for pepparkakor. I could always dig for some...

Hope you're doing okey!

Kram!!!

DotMom61
12-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Anna -- They did turn out, actually! :cheering: My cookie rolling technique kinda stinks, so I have a pile of slightly ... uh ... toasty cookies. The rest of them turned out, well, though.

En stor omfamna & God Jul till du!

(I hope that translator I used is correct! :shock:)

DotMom61
12-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Look what my FIL sent me:

A Swedish Kitchen (http://www.swedishkitchen.com)

:lol:

Kirochka
12-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Oooh, what are Oreo truffles...?

DotMom61
12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
They're *fabulous*, Karen, and easy, too.

1 pkg Oreo cookies
1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
Big block of Almond Bark

Dump the whole bag of Oreos into the food processor and process until they look a little like finely ground coffee. Cut the cream cheese into chunks & put into food processor, too. Process until the whole mess turns into a big lump of dough.

It's probably best to refrigerate the dough for a couple of hours before the next step ...

Roll the dough into 1" balls & place on a cookie sheet. Put the cookie sheet in the fridge for a few hours, or until the balls are easy to handle w/out getting your hands all sticky.

Melt the Almond Bark in a double boiler (or the microwave if you're more brave than I am). Drop the balls of Oreo dough into the Almond bark 1 or 2 @ a time, remove to waxed paper to dry.

These should be refrigerated, but ours don't often last long enough!
:help:

I've also melted chocolate to drizzle over the tops of these, or you could sprinkle them w/ ... uh ... Sprinkles. :D

Gotta run ... we're late today & we're all in "I don't wanna go mode." :verysad:

Kirochka
12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
OMG, Julie!!!!!!!!!!!! I MUST make those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting the recipe. Maybe this coming weekend!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

AmandaC
12-18-2006, 11:26 AM
They're *fabulous*, Karen, and easy, too.

1 pkg Oreo cookies
1 8 oz block cream cheese
Big block of Almond Bark

Cut the cream cheese into chunks & put into food processor. Dump the whole bag of Oreos into the food processor, too. Process until the whole mess turns into a big lump of dough.

Roll the dough into 1" balls & place on a cookie sheet. Put the cookie sheet in the fridge for a few hours, or until the balls are easy to handle w/out getting your hands all sticky.

Melt the Almond Bark in a double boiler (or the microwave if you're more brave than I am). Drop the balls of Oreo dough into the Almond bark 1 or 2 @ a time, remove to waxed paper to dry.

These should be refrigerated, but ours don't often last long enough!
:help:

I've also melted chocolate to drizzle over the tops of these, or you could sprinkle them w/ ... uh ... Sprinkles. :D

OK - yum yum .... but what's Almond Bark??? what could I use instead that also doesn't have nuts in? (something generic that I could substitute in the UK)

Sprinkles ..... I call them 'Chocolate Vermicelli' but I'm a snob :teehee:

Kirochka
12-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Amanda, far as I know, almond bark is simply chocolate with almonds in it (it can be milk, dark - i.e. what you'd call "plain," I think - or white - which isn't really chocolate). So probably any chocolate you'd like to use would work for the coating...

Virtuella
12-18-2006, 01:33 PM
I am a bit late in this tread!
Looking forward to see a picture of your 500 pepperkaker!

DotMom61
12-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Amanda,

Almond Bark is just a candy coating. From what I understannd, it's made with vegetable fat instead of cocoa butter. You could also use white chocolate, I'm sure. Anything that would set up would work. Oh, and the blocks of almond bark that I buy don't have nuts in them, it's just used to MAKE almond bark, which is a type of candy.

Margot --

Glad you could stop by! I'm not sure I'll hang in there for all 500 cookies, and I don't think I'll be taking many pictures! :lol: Maybe I'll try to sneak one in when I get some of our other cookies made. We're going to try and get some Spritz made this afternoon. *Love* makin' those!

Kirochka
12-18-2006, 03:59 PM
OK, now I need to know what Spritz is... or are! :wink:

Sara
12-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Spritz are butter cookies made by extruding them from a cookie press. Sometimes people add lemon, almond or other flavors. I like the plain ones best. You can press them in shapes like christmas trees or stars, or press them out like strands of pasta and shape them into wreaths. They often have those cinnamon decors put on them and bakers sugar sprinkles.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Kirochka
12-18-2006, 04:55 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

DotMom61
12-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Hold on! Back up the truffle truck!

My Oreo Truffle recipe has an error in it ... PLEASE make sure you process the Oreos by themselves before adding in the cream cheese!! (I'll go up & correct the original post in case anyone else comes along and wants to try them.

Oh, and here (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butter-Rich-Spritz-Butter-Cookies/Detail.aspx)'s a recipe for Spritz. These seem pretty close to what my G'ma used to make. Also, if you don't have (or prefer not use) almond extract, just use all vanilla.

Sara
12-18-2006, 07:39 PM
I like Spritz both ways. :teehee:

Kirochka
12-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks, Julie! :heart:

Chel
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
de umn bÝrk! bÝrk! bÝrk

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Sorry... the title of the post put me in Swedish Chef mode!!!

ctmax
12-20-2006, 03:07 PM
I am planning on making the oreo things for Saturday. Does anyone know if I make them today if they will last in the fridge till Saturday, or should I wait a little bit?

DotMom61
12-20-2006, 06:48 PM
ctmax --

They hold up great in the fridge. Just put them in a tupperware container!! I hope you enjoy them! :cheering:

Kirochka
12-21-2006, 09:46 AM
My laziness has taken over, but I'm thinking of doing this instead... making the "dough" out of the cookies and cream cheese, pressing it into a pan, letting it get cold in the fridge, and then spreading the melted chocolate over the top and letting that harden, then cutting them into squares... :thinking:

I know it's wimping out... but do you think it would work as a concept? (DH says no matter what happens, we'll be eating them...!)

DotMom61
12-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Karen --

It might work as long as you keep them cold. They get pretty soft if you leave them out for any length of time; except, of course, if they're thoroughly coated w/ the almond bark.

:teehee:

Let me know if you try it, though! I'd be highly interested to know if there is a shortcut to dunking these darn things! I'm *no* good at making pretty truffles!

Kirochka
12-21-2006, 10:30 AM
I suggested to DH I put down a layer of chocolate, a layer of dough and then more chocolate, and he thought it would be impossible to get them out of the pan, which might be true... :thinking: I think I'll just have to treat them like little cheesecake pieces and keep them in the refrigerator until just when we're ready to eat them... er, I mean some of them...!

brownishcoat
12-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Karen, they make pre-made pie crusts with Oreo crumbs, it's in the same area as the graham cracker crusts. I think it would work if you used one of those. Or you could make your own if you could find some dark chocolate cookies with no filling.

Kirochka
12-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Oh, wow, what a brilliant idea! Make a crust for under it! (This is getting more decadent by the minute...!) The pre-made pie crust I'm thinking would be too small for the amount of "filling," but maybe something like Famous Chocolate Wafers (which I absolutely ADORE and had totally forgotten about until just now) would make a good base for the rest of it... :thinking:

Oh, man... one more day of counting WW points this week... what a time to be thinking about all this... :drool: :drool:

ctmax
12-21-2006, 04:42 PM
My son and I made these yesterday. We both are not very good at the dipping part, so they don't look very pretty but they are soooo good :drool: I am making more today but I am going to use the vanilla oreos.

DotMom61
12-23-2006, 12:56 AM
I am *so* glad everyone's enjoying this recipe!! I took some into the radiation oncology team this week, and they went NUTS over them! I had to take some more in today & gave them the recipe as well. :lol:

Kirochka
12-25-2006, 11:39 AM
:thud: :thud: <-- Me and DH after having what I made out of the truffle recipe yesterday. The crumb crust on the bottom didn't hold together (I probably didn't use enough butter), but it didn't matter... it is still INCREDIBLE. I think it needs a bit more work to come out well as a pan of bars rather than dipped truffles, but as far as taste goes... INCREDIBLE! Incredibly rich, too... I ended up using Trader Joe's version of Oreos (no corn syrup!) and instead of almond bark, which was more expensive, got one of Trader Joe's huge bittersweet Belgian chocolate with almonds and used half of it to melt and then spread on top of the dough.

Thanks again for the recipe, Julie! :hug:

DotMom61
12-30-2006, 03:18 AM
:lol: Karen!! You didn't USE my recipe!! :roflhard: It sounds YUMMY, though!! I *love* Trader Joe's pseudo-Oreos. I only wish they didn't have any calories. :pout:

BTW ... My MIL gave me a good dunking tip: Use a fork. :doh: I've been using a spoon all along, and I end up puddling too much of the almond bark around the truffle. I have another batch to make. This time: fork.

Kirochka
12-31-2006, 11:03 AM
:teehee: Well, I used your recipe as inspiration for something that was better for lazy me this time! Next time I'll use the real recipe! :teehee:

DotMom61
01-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Well, Karen, I have the ingredients for another batch. <sigh> Now I just need to find the motivation to make them. I'm thinking I'll "gift" them to the mail lady and the milk man. Perhaps I should wait for everyone to come down from their Holiday Sugar Highs first!