PDA

View Full Version : Christmas knitting - I bit off more than I can chew...

SandraEllen
12-18-2006, 01:57 PM
So we're down to the wire. I'm supposed to be making this circular shrug (http://www.geocities.com/julsey723/circular_shrug.pdf) from craftster.org for my SIL. I'm just starting it today. I'm going to have to be knitting around the clock to get it done by Christmas.

Why am I doing this to myself?

Has anyone else bitten off more than they can chew???

resazurin
12-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Wow, this is beautiful! I really hope you'll be able to finish it on time :pray:

I was thinking of knitting myself a shrug, i wanted to know what yarn you're using for this?

I have this beautiful fuchsia 100% acrylic yarn do u think it would be suitable for this shrug?

SandraEllen
12-18-2006, 02:13 PM
I know that a lot of people have used acrylic to make this so I'm sure that it would work perfectly!

I'm using Swish by knitpicks.com in a dark brown color.

resazurin
12-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Thank you, I can't wait to start! :happydance:

nadja la claire
12-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh man! I'm thinking good thoughts for you :pray: and sending good knitting karma. I decided to knit scarves for everyone and I'm still behind the 8 ball. May the knitting gods and goddesses smile upon you sister.

Nadja xxx

orcoastknitter
12-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I had good intentions to knit gifts this year. I went to a favorite LYS and bought yarn to make friends scarves and socks, however I only got one scarf made. I ended up just buying gifts online for the rest of them. My intentions were good, just ran out of time. I didn't even do any baking this year. But I have a new puppy, so things haven't been the same in our house for the past month.

hedgehog
12-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes, i have definitely bitten off much more than i can chew.

I don't have a lot of money this xmas so i thought that i'd try and make a lot of gifts this year. I even ordered my yarn in October/beginning of November. But i have had NO TIME to sit down to knit! It's awful!

and the people i'm knitting for are the ones i see in the evenings when i'm relaxing. ie, my sister - and i can't avoid her because she's going through a really rough time so i have to spend time with her when i can. but i can't knit her gift in front of her! so i'm really worried i'm going to have to go out and spend even more money i don't have to buy gifts for the day.

Argh... what a mess i've made.
-hh

psammeadred
12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
I :heart: that pattern!

Do you knit Continental or English? I knitted English for a while, but when I switched to Continental, my knitting went almost twice as fast. That might help...or not...

nonny2t
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Throwing good thoughts :hug: your way that you can finish this. If not, give her a card saying it is coming with how it is going to look and give it to her as soon as you can get it finished!

I actually finished everything with a week to spare, but I don't work, don't have kids at home, etc etc so can knit as much as I want. I also chose projects within my ability pretty much so I only stressed out about one thing and that was my grandson's Beatle's sweater.

Good luck kiddo and hope you can get it finished!

Faye

Liliyarn
12-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I was only going to knit one official gift this year. My mom requested a hooded scarf. I've had everything since before Oct. However, she wants it in black. It is boring yarn and a boring pattern. I just don't want to knit it. I've hid away all my lovely yarn and patterns until I finish it. If it is a little late, no biggie. My mom understands.

SandraEllen
12-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all of your sympathy and support! I'm sorry to hear that some of you are in similar boats.

I'm still hoping (fingers crossed) that I can finish it. Luckily things are really slow at work right now and the only boss that matters is a few states away.
Did i just say that?
:twisted:

misstialouise
12-18-2006, 10:39 PM
LOVE the shrug!! (going to make it for myself.. hehe)

I hope you get it finished.. :D

mks22300
12-19-2006, 08:59 PM
I hope you finish in time! I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't get all the ends woven in on a scarf I made for one of the little girls I watch (it's striped so there were a ton of 'em and silly me, I didn't weave in as I went), but got that done last week then I started to worry that I wouldn't have enough yarn to finish the leg warmers that I made to match the scarf, but I did. Now all that is left is to add the fringe to her scarf and fringe to the scarf I made her sister. It seems the knitting gods and goddess' were with me, so now I give them to you! :teehee:

ecb
12-19-2006, 11:20 PM
I M knitting a set of wristers
and some felted bags
other than that every0one told me they doid not want anything
so I M covered if I M not done on time
we shall see if I get away with it

ecb

JamOKnit
12-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Two days before we head up to my parents' house, and I still have Mom's scarf to finish...so tonight and tomorrow night will consist of packing, knitting, wrapping gifts, knitting, cleaning the house, and KNITTING!!! :doh:

SandraEllen
12-21-2006, 08:15 AM
ooh... you're going to be up all night...

Good news is that I'm 1/2 done with that shrug...